• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clubs and defensive shooting?

Laura

NES Member
I'm not interested in target/competition shooting so much as defensive shooting. Most clubs require the targets at the indoor range (possibly outside as well?) be set at 25 ft, which is in no way a self-defense range. Are there any ranges that allow people to shoot at 7 to 10 yards?

most indoor ranges allow variable range between 5' & 25'

Ones I've used in the past
American Firearms in Attleboro,MA
Granite State in Hudson, NH

Mass rifle in Woburn has 30’ for handguns on their indoor range and 22’ for their outdoor handgun range. You can’t draw from a holster there, though. I wish they allowed closer distances with handguns.

On Target in dracut has a public indoor range, with an option to sign up for the other half of the range for I think 6 months where only members are allowed. I don’t recall them having a distance requirement, though I don’t think you can draw from a holster there, either.

The sig academy in Epping, NH has a really nice indoor range that you can pay to use, and I don’t think they have a distance requirement. That is probably an hour or so from you. It’s worth going up there once just to check the place out if you have time, and you can rent out and test any firearms that they sell, though they may limit what rifle calibers you can shoot indoors there.

I'm not interested in target/competition shooting so much as defensive shooting. Most clubs require the targets at the indoor range (possibly outside as well?) be set at 25 ft, which is in no way a self-defense range. Are there any ranges that allow people to shoot at 7 to 10 yards?

25 feet is just over 8 yards

Andover Sportsmen's (technically in North Andover off of 114 in Bradley Palmer State Forest). I think its at 21' outside but inside they can be adjusted as close as you want.

25 ft is a very reasonable range to practice defensive shooting. It may not be “optimal”, but it is very reasonable.
If you are really interested in defensive shooting, then you would want to at least look into competitive shooting. It teaches you some very good skills, like how to engage multiple targets quickly. Don’t you think that skill would carry over to defensive shooting?

25 ft is a very reasonable range to practice defensive shooting. It may not be “optimal”, but it is very reasonable.
If you are really interested in defensive shooting, then you would want to at least look into competitive shooting. It teaches you some very good skills, like how to engage multiple targets quickly. Don’t you think that skill would carry over to defensive shooting?
I disagree. At 25 ft, I can't justify shooting at that distance in a liberal state and calling it self defense.

I disagree. At 25 ft, I can't justify shooting at that distance in a liberal state and calling it self defense.
As someone else has mentioned, 25ft is 8.33 yards. I have never been to an indoor range or outdoor club that had a 25' minimum for shooting paper. Every indoor range I have ever been to that has powered/automated target system has a 5 yard minimum and some allow it even closer.

One of my outdoor clubs has a 10 yard minimum for steel targets (which they supply). You can put the paper targets as close to the firing line as you want.

As someone else has mentioned, 25ft is 8.33 yards. I have never been to an indoor range or outdoor club that had a 25' minimum for shooting paper. Every indoor range I have ever been to that has powered/automated target system has a 5 yard minimum and some allow it even closer.

One of my outdoor clubs has a 10 yard minimum for steel targets (which they supply). You can put the paper targets as close to the firing line as you want.

Most clubs/matches have minimum for steel targets because of possible ricochets.

I typically set my paper targets close to the rear and/or side berm(s), then choose the distance I want to engage them from, but that's in a pit.

Look into a Strikeman laser trainer.
Draw from conceal, at any distance, with any caliber, at home.
No range needed. Instant feedback, minus the recoil.

Utilize range time to hone the fundamentals. Compete to challenge yourself.

Our club has a minimum target distance to stop stray rounds from firing cross lane, or perforating the roof...

There's plenty but a far bigger concern is wether they allow holster work.

Really, which ones near me? I'm in Peabody, anything public or private?
Londonderry Fish and Game, outdoors only. Any distance on the 25 and 50 yd ranges. Moving, holster work isn't prohibited. Safety must be maintained. Benches make holster work a bit difficult. Waiting list for membership.

keep in mind that *many* indoor ranges will not allow drawing or 'working' from holster which is a very important thing to master.
That's a good point. @Laura you mentioned that you are not interested in competition. But try some local events. The pressure of having others watch you, as well as the pressure of the timer, are good training for shooting under stress which can loosely translate in self defense situations. And they are fun.

Laura, shooting anyone in Massachusetts, no matter what the distance will make little or no difference legally. Besides at 25 feet, it would only take someone about three seconds to reach you.

or less time.

Laura, forget about 'legal justification'. It's about becoming faster, better, more competent and having felt time and performance 'pressure' so it's not 'new' to you if/when you ever need some of that skill set.

Hopkinton allows you to shoot closer. On my indoor check they had me shooting at like 10feet. I'd have to look to be sure but I think you can get closer as long as your muzzle blast (flame/fire) doesn't hit the target. Pretty sure outside in the pits any range goes.

keep in mind that *many* indoor ranges will not allow drawing or 'working' from holster which is a very important thing to master.
For those encumbered by silly rules, dry fire can be a good alternative.

In reality, even those who aren't burdened by foolish edicts should be regularly dry firing.

That's a good point, most of the clubs I've been to don't allow holster work. The funny thing is for all the FUDD nonsense Danvers fish and game is known for they actually had a section on the left end of the outdoor range that was about 3-7ish yards and was ok for iwb/own holster drawing. I left the club in 2020 so I don't know if they still allow it.

I think you’re missing the point. If you practiced regularly and became very proficient at engaging targets at 25 ft. Don’t you think that in a defensive scenario it would be much easier to engage a target at 10 ft?

On the bright side; if you can hit your target at 25 ft, you'll pretty much know you can hit your target much closer.

P.S. never let a potential threat get "much closer" to you.
I was thinking that while watching this thread, I'll use 15 yards for an example, that's where I zero my pistol red dots. If I have the fundamentals to get consistent good hits at that distance then 7 yards and in should be a breeze. But to the OP's point, having a range that allows me to shoot closer is nice, can't fault her for that. It's nice to have the option.

Exactly. Woburn Sportsman's Association has adjustable range you want but will not allow you to draw from the hip. The closer you get to Boston, the less likely you are to find places that will allow that.

Back
Top Bottom