• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Came home to some unexpected swag today. No ammo, but the cleaning kit is an Otis so you know it’s legit and the ammo can is pretty nice as well. For a plastic ammo can the quality is much better than most. Solid lockup with almost a tactile click when it locks/unlocks. Good seal, the handle feels great with the finger grooves, and in general the box seems sturdy.

81E1885F-DE0A-4847-8DA7-4994F1C42D79.jpeg

I've been very happy with the Republic Range & Training made by Barnaul that I got from TSports... (their zinc-plated 9mm is also very good range fodder)

The Golden Tiger is excellent too at 619DW. Price is excellent and no tax...

Comes back in stock every couple of weeks...
Paid $.32 cents each in February.
1648161586060.png 1648161599462.png

Any big difference between lacquer and poly coatings? Not that I actually ever clean anything.
I believe lacquer is just to seal the openings around the primer and the bullet to prevent moisture from entering. The polymer coating on the steel case is to to supposedly for self-lubing and to ease friction on the extractor. IMO I don't see a major difference. They're both great. Super reliable.

I believe lacquer is just to seal the openings around the primer and the bullet to prevent moisture from entering. The polymer coating on the steel case is to to supposedly for self-lubing and to ease friction on the extractor. IMO I don't see a major difference. They're both great. Super reliable.

I think the whole case is supposed to be lacquer coated. The sealant is something different. Found this thread: Lacquer coating on 7.62x39 ammo

I saw that maxxtech stuff, but do have a prime account. Are all 3 about the same performance wise?

The MaxxTech Essential Steel and Golden Tiger 7.62x39 are both made by the Vympel plant, which is a Russian state munitions factory, it is very good quality mil-spec ammo that is corrosion and moisture resistant lacqer coated case as well as sealed case necks and primer.

I was able to get like a 2-3 MOA group with it, so pretty accurate for AK ammo, and I'm not the best shooter.

The Wolf is likely Tula commercial-grade ammo which is still perfectly fine range, practice, etc ammo. It is lower quality ammo, loaded a bit less consistantly, but also cheaper. Not bad for the gun or anything. I would prefer the other two for long term storage, self defense situations, and shooting beyond 100 yards.

Something like this, perhaps?

DSC07415.jpg

Frank

I almost bought one of those, I couldn't though, the GS was holding a S&W Governor for me...

Any big difference between lacquer and poly coatings? Not that I actually ever clean anything.
Lacquer/sealed cartridges deposit a bit more "gunk" from the aforementioned coatings but not enough of a difference to make a difference.
I think the whole case is supposed to be lacquer coated. The sealant is something different. Found this thread: Lacquer coating on 7.62x39 ammo

Lacquer coated cases are usually found in mil-spec 7.62x39 and 5.45x39, other Russian calibers, and serve the purpose of totally sealing the steel case from the outside elements, as well as making the case smooth, less friction, so it feeds and extracts better + more reliably.

Steel, as we know, when left un-coated and exposed to ambient humidity, will rust.

Lacquer coated, mil spec cartridges also typically have sealed case necks and primers, which is usually some other color (red, green, blue, purple, etc). This seals the primer and powder from water/humidity/other elements, which is a main cause of ruined+unreliabily ammo... and what we find in proper military grade cartridges are lacquered AND sealed.

Some of the less expensive, commerical-grade offerings, are polymer coated cases, and are often unsealed cases and primers. The polymer coating is not nearly as good as a corrosion barrier, and is not as smooth as lacquer coated cases. But it is cheaper. Ammo like this is usually under the branding of TulAmmo, Red Army Standard white box (repackaged Tula), Wolf, (repackaged Tula).

Below illustrates this. Left to right order.
Top img: Sealed+lacquered mil spec ammo, laquered + clear sealant Barnaul, Tula with no sealant but polmer coated case. (Notice where the case meets the bullet itself)

Bottom img:The 3 on the left are sealed + lacquered (center is clear sealant) and the two on the right (tula and commercial spec Barnaul) are polymer coated, unsealed primers
20220324_212731.jpg
20220324_212846.jpg

Last edited:
where have you managed to get a corrosive 7.62x39? so odd, it must be really old.
again, no need for panic there or avoiding it, just clean the barrel same day evening, don`t let it sit. nothing bad will happen.
just odd, i think they stopped making such rounds by 1960s something.
The Yugo ammo that comes in 1200 rounds or so crates is corrosive. I have seen it for sale on here but the seller didn't advertise it as corrosive.

I've been shooting Aguila .22 all this week. There is no discernable amount of sticky coating on these just-bought rounds.
Remmy Golden Bullets on the other hand would stick to a wall if thrown at one...

[rofl]

Maybe Aguila is cutting back???

i have a significant quantity of aguila super extra 40 gr from ~2019. They’re coated in a substance that is thin and slick in warm conditions but below ~50F becomes gooey. The result is temperature dependent feeding of the Ruger mark III and IV due to rounds binding in the mags. Perhaps aguila is no longer using this horrible substance. It may be the concentrated tears of mexican leftists…just a hypothesis.

Came home to some unexpected swag today. No ammo, but the cleaning kit is an Otis so you know it’s legit and the ammo can is pretty nice as well. For a plastic ammo can the quality is much better than most. Solid lockup with almost a tactile click when it locks/unlocks. Good seal, the handle feels great with the finger grooves, and in general the box seems sturdy.

View attachment 594415
Yeah, I just got a Hoppe's pistol cleaning kit(it's a super duper limited edition as it comes pre-marinated in it's own juices).
1648181030501.png
Two pairs of Champion ear plugs.
1648181423444.png
And finally a sweet set(2) of the exclusive thin banner stickers like yourself.

i have a significant quantity of aguila super extra 40 gr from ~2019. They’re coated in a substance that is thin and slick in warm conditions but below ~50F becomes gooey. The result is temperature dependent feeding of the Ruger mark III and IV due to rounds binding in the mags. Perhaps aguila is no longer using this horrible substance. It may be the concentrated tears of mexican leftists…just a hypothesis.
I think you are right about the tears. [rofl]

The ammo is now very clean and no longer has that odd ammonia smell that some call "cat piss" scented.
Very good ammo IMO.

Not in my Com-bloc rifles. I believe they are built for the steel cased x39 and will eat the lacquer or poly without a care.
From what I've heard, the AR's with 7.62x39 uppers can have issues with coatings, but others don't. If you are going with an AK clone, SKS or something along those lines you
will be able to shoot the lac or poly without any issues.

You did mention that you are partial to brass cased and I've found both the Igman and S&B brass lines are very nice, clean and accurate, with the Igman being my favorite of the two.

1648186528886.png 1648186548201.png

Back
Top Bottom