• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

I'm actually buying for my coworker who just bought a 22lr since all the local gs are sold out.

Yea its crazy I work from home but I went back to the gym recently and people know im an avid shooter and they are freaking out asking me for ammo. I had one guy see me getting my gym bag out of my truck bed and he saw my ammo cans and was asking if I had 9mm and trying to buy off me literally right then and there....

Yea its crazy I work from home but I went back to the gym recently and people know im an avid shooter and they are freaking out asking me for ammo. I had one guy see me getting my gym bag out of my truck bed and he saw my ammo cans and was asking if I had 9mm and trying to buy off me literally right then and there....
Yea I'm buying for two or three other right now since they are all new to the hobby (not that I'm much more experienced). Mucho thanks to all of you in this group helping spread the brass.

and the question we all want to know the answer to...did you sell him some?

and the question we all want to know the answer to...did you sell him some?

Well Maura Healy says I need 102 certifications, 9 different types of FFL licensing, a PHD in Physics, Law Degree, A brick and mortar store, at least 3 of the Infinity Stones from Avengers End Game, and a unicorn so I refused to sell......

Frontier ammo I ordered yesterday just showed up. Can't say I'm overly impressed by the looks of it, almost all have some nicks on them. Dont think it'll affect function at all but I figured they'd be just about perfect for "match" ammo. Never payed much attention compared to others though.

Attachments

• 20210414_144424.jpg
    20210414_144424.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 35
Frontier ammo I ordered yesterday just showed up. Can't say I'm overly impressed by the looks of it, almost all have some nicks on them. Dont think it'll affect function at all but I figured they'd be just about perfect for "match" ammo. Never payed much attention compared to others though.
Little loose with the term 'match' perhaps? You can use them in a match! The calibers match! The primers match! They just don't hold a match to real match ammo?

I'll see myself out.

Hahaha fair enough. Like I said ive never bought higher end ammo before and never really payed attention to what regular looks like out of the box. Just caught my eye when I was looking them over.

Hahaha fair enough. Like I said ive never bought higher end ammo before and never really payed attention to what regular looks like out of the box. Just caught my eye when I was looking them over.

Honestly it really depends on a variety of things. Match ammo doesnt necessarily mean it will shoot better in your rifle. It SHOULD but there are so many other variables like the length of the barrel, twist rate, bullet weight, etc.

For my precision rifles I need a certain weight bullet. I sometimes find standard production lower level ammo shoots as well if not better than higher priced "match" ammo because the way my rifles are set up they just plain work better.

This is true with my 224 valkyrie AR with 22" barrel. It loves the plain old lower level 75 grain federal. It didnt group as well with the Hornady 88 gain ELD match.

I literally dont understand much of what I just typed either LOL im no expert but in the end you really just need to play with the bullet types, weights, etc to find the best "match" for your rifle (see what I did there!!!!!)

Honestly it really depends on a variety of things. Match ammo doesnt necessarily mean it will shoot better in your rifle. It SHOULD but there are so many other variables like the length of the barrel, twist rate, bullet weight, etc.

For my precision rifles I need a certain weight bullet. I sometimes find standard production lower level ammo shoots as well if not better than higher priced "match" ammo because the way my rifles are set up they just plain work better.

This is true with my 224 valkyrie AR with 22" barrel. It loves the plain old lower level 75 grain federal. It didnt group as well with the Hornady 88 gain ELD match.

I literally dont understand much of what I just typed either LOL im no expert but in the end you really just need to play with the bullet types, weights, etc to find the best "match" for your rifle (see what I did there!!!!!)
No I'm hearing you. Im far from an expert as well, fairly new shooter to be honest. I just got a couple boxes to do just that, try it out and see how my rifle likes it. Its nothing fancy either just a colt hbar 1/7. I read that twist favors heavier bullets and this was the first heavier ammo I've come across recently besides m855 62gr, so figured it was worth trying some out. Only got the 2 boxes for now.

Those little nicks won't hurt anything. Frontier is basically range grade or B tier ammo. It's not gonna be as good as Federal Gold Medal or Hornady ELD or something. I believe the term "match" has more to do with the projectile type than the grade of the ammo. Frontier is good to go as far as function and reliability go in my experience though and it's definitely consistent enough for practice and judging accuracy. I wouldn't rely on it for an actual "match" though, unless I had a rifle that reallllly liked it.

It didnt group as well with the Hornady 88 gain ELD match.

Interesting you say that. My Savage Stealth in 6.5 CM shoots the same group no matter if I'm shooting Hornady 140 gr ELD Match round or just plain jane S&B 140 gr rounds. Started wondering why I was spending so much more on the Hornady.

Those little nicks won't hurt anything. Frontier is basically range grade or B tier ammo. It's not gonna be as good as Federal Gold Medal or Hornady ELD or something. I believe the term "match" has more to do with the projectile type than the grade of the ammo. Frontier is good to go as far as function and reliability go in my experience though and it's definitely consistent enough for practice and judging accuracy. I wouldn't rely on it for an actual "match" though, unless I had a rifle that reallllly liked it.
I didn't think it would either. All makes sense though, appreciate the clarity.

Interesting you say that. My Savage Stealth in 6.5 CM shoots the same group no matter if I'm shooting Hornady 140 gr ELD Match round or just plain jane S&B 140 gr rounds. Started wondering why I was spending so much more on the Hornady.

Yea I have found the weight of the bullet for my rifles at least has been the biggest variable. I did a bunch of research on the twist rates, barrel length, etc (and by research I mean googled the shit out of it and watched videos of people doing the hard work and applying it to my situation) and started testing out different brands, etc to fine tune based on my caliber, barrel length, and twist rate.

Its pretty interesting stuff but for me im shooting max 200 yards so the "quality" of the bullet/projectile hasnt really made a huge difference. Im sure if you are going out 200 yards+ thats when the quality of the bullet/projectile starts to matter more but unfortunately I dont have a range to go out further for right now.

Bass pro in Hooksett nh has 45 auto blazer alminum total metal jacket (TMJ) for 48$/box. 5 box limit...

At the risk of derailing an important out of stock update thread, how do you like the 6.5 Stealth? I love mine. Great results with Nosler RDF hand loads. How far have you shot it? I’ve only gone to 300 but it groups under 2” at that distance. What scope on it?

At the risk of derailing an important out of stock update thread, how do you like the 6.5 Stealth? I love mine. Great results with Nosler RDF hand loads. How far have you shot it? I’ve only gone to 300 but it groups under 2” at that distance. What scope on it?

I attended a PRS training match as a beginner last year at Granby with the Stealth. Overall it shot great. Actually got a hit on a 1000 yard target, once. I'll say it was skill, but it was pure dumb luck... [laugh] I was shooting Hornady 140gr ELD rounds and they performed well. I put a Gen II Vortex Viper on it and overall the combination of scope/rifle works really well. I'll need to sign up for an actual match this year to see how I do in competition.

I attended a PRS training match as a beginner last year at Granby with the Stealth. Overall it shot great. Actually got a hit on a 1000 yard target, once. I'll say it was skill, but it was pure dumb luck... [laugh] I was shooting Hornady 140gr ELD rounds and they performed well. I put a Gen II Vortex Viper on it and overall the combination of scope/rifle works really well. I'll need to sign up for an actual match this year to see how I do in competition.
Nice shooting. I also like the ELDs. One common upgrade seems to be the stock. I’m mulling options.

Damn that's a solid price

@SKumar @Artifact some syntech in stock...for now

Back
Top Bottom