• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

There's another vendor who's got CCI Blazer 22lr and Federal 525 round 22lr packs in stock. 5 brick limit on the Feds and 20 box limit on the CCI blazer. If you buy your limit, it works out to be about 9 cents per round shipped. PM if interested.

Doesn't beat walmart obviously.
This same vendor has the Aguila 500 round 38 gr packs and Aguila 40 gr 50 round boxes in stock. ^^That blazer is still in stock too.
9 cpr

38sp @ .60
.357 mag fmj @ .78 per
.357 mag sp @ .74 per

38sp @ .60
.357 mag fmj @ .78 per
.357 mag sp @ .74 per

There was .44Mag for a hot second as well. 240gn. FMJ for .94cpr.
It sold out quickly.

Good full power training and HD ammo at a great price, comparatively.
OUT OF STOCK
LOGIN TO SIGNUP FOR BACK IN STOCK ALERTS.

How is this stuff? What do they mean "training"? Is there other comparable ammo #4 buckshot available? Any leanings one way or the other as to which brand or "model"?

Just came here after many months to see what's what. Are prices finally coming down from a year ago? How's 9mm and .223/556 pricing?

OUT OF STOCK
LOGIN TO SIGNUP FOR BACK IN STOCK ALERTS.

How is this stuff? What do they mean "training"? Is there other comparable ammo #4 buckshot available? Any leanings one way or the other as to which brand or "model"?

Just came here after many months to see what's what. Are prices finally coming down from a year ago? How's 9mm and .223/556 pricing?

You could absolutely use that #4 for hunting and HD quite effectively. My take on the training/practical use ammo is this;
Plated and buffered shot (flight control too) is akin to your Gold dot or HST handgun ammo. Maybe just a little better at doing it’s job than some other HP’s and FMJ’s. It’s also considerably more expensive.
Bare lead and unbuffered shot is still going to do a damn good job, just maybe not hold as tight of a pattern at distance. With that said, I’m the type of person that likes to train/practice with ammo that’s similar to what I keep loaded for HD, not wimpy target/bird loads. So, .50 or .60 cpr ammo becomes easier to train with than $1.50 and $2 per round flight control plated, buffered buckshot. That’s the only reason I called it training ammo. At close range, it’ll kill most things good and dead just the same.

Shotguns are all different so you just have to figure out what works best for your gun. Oddly enough Wolf 00 patterns very well in my 590.

Shot some of Wolf steel 9mm I bought last week from Target. Had a few FTE across three different guns, two of which are super reliable. While loading a mag, noticed that the rounds didn't feel like they had much of that slippery coating on them like they normally do to help the steel casings with extraction. Wonder if that's the issue.

Shot some of Wolf steel 9mm I bought last week from Target. Had a few FTE across three different guns, two of which are super reliable. While loading a mag, noticed that the rounds didn't feel like they had much of that slippery coating on them like they normally do to help the steel casings with extraction. Wonder if that's the issue.
Weird. 3 FTFs in one session? I think I've had 3 FTFs ever with Wolf. And I rarely clean my guns too. I guess YMMV.

3 FTFs in one session vs me with practically no failures? That's the user, not the ammo.

They fed fine. They didn't want to extract/eject properly--hence the FTE I noted, not FTF. And I've used this stuff many times in the past without problems. I'm saying I think there's a QC issue with this batch. The casings felt almost sticky. They normally have some type of coating on them, as heated steel tends to stick in chambers when dry. These didn't feel coated properly. But hey, if you want to think I was limp wristing it because there's no possible way Wolf Steel could be the problem, then you do you.

They fed fine. They didn't want to extract/eject properly--hence the FTE I noted, not FTF. And I've used this stuff many times in the past without problems. I'm saying I think there's a QC issue with this batch. The casings felt almost sticky. They normally have some type of coating on them, as heated steel tends to stick in chambers when dry. These didn't feel coated properly. But hey, if you want to think I was limp wristing it because there's no possible way Wolf Steel could be the problem, then you do you.
tangent - this is why I hate the FTF/E nomenclature. There are four (4) different failures that could be described by those two initialisms: Feed, Fire, Extract, Eject.

Knowing that your Extraction issue is across multiple firearms, and (assuming) that you've not had similar failures with other ammo in the same firearms, I would definitely tend to agree that it is probably something to do with the cases. If they feel tacky, it's completely reasonable to see if anyone else is seeing the same issues. Maybe try cleaning a case or two with an alcohol swab? Do you have any other steel (perhaps older lots) to compare it to?

3 FTFs in one session vs me with practically no failures? That's the user, not the ammo.

Depends on the gun. It is unreasonable to assume that skinflint shit like wolf will run every gun right. My CZ P10s and Glocks all eat it but i would not be surprised in the least if other guns don't.

It wouldn't shock me if they turned out shit batches of the stuff, too. If WWB can be randomly shit, then Wolf being randomly shit wouldnt shock me either. [rofl] I know people have had problems with random batches of even the 7.62 x 39. I don't think it's enough to say "im never buying it again" though.

Edit: Im retarded, already posted.

New question - how is Wolf brass stuff? I've only shot steel cased.

If you’re asking about the Wolf Gold WM193 5.56, it’s my favorite plinking ammo. Decently accurate (not gunna win you any competitions) but it’s also extremely reliable, sealed primers (purple!) and loaded just hot enough. For the price, you can’t really beat it, IMHO.

tangent - this is why I hate the FTF/E nomenclature. There are four (4) different failures that could be described by those two initialisms: Feed, Fire, Extract, Eject.

Knowing that your Extraction issue is across multiple firearms, and (assuming) that you've not had similar failures with other ammo in the same firearms, I would definitely tend to agree that it is probably something to do with the cases. If they feel tacky, it's completely reasonable to see if anyone else is seeing the same issues. Maybe try cleaning a case or two with an alcohol swab? Do you have any other steel (perhaps older lots) to compare it to?

I've shot a couple racks of this stuff in the past with almost no issues aside from a hard primer here and there, so this is a first. Last time I had the stuff I noticed my fingers felt like they were dipped in teflon after loading a few mags. Not the case with this batch, leading me to think they F'd up on QC or changed the design. But I went out of my way to cheap out on plinking ammo, so I'm not entirely shocked. Just mildly surprised how different this functions from the last batch.

two things to consider:
1) metal case ammo + plastic mags = terrible combo. there's just too much friction. I bought some Winchester metal case 9mm. Plastic mags failed to feed. As soon as I switched to metal ones, no problem.
2) Some guns take a while to "break-in". For example, I shot 1000 rds of cheapest Wolf through Tavor in one weekend. For the first 600 rounds, I had issues in almost every single mag. Very frustrating. Then it stopped. Not a single problem! not one! I've shot probably another 500 since then with zero problems.

I've owned my Glock 23 longer than any other gun in my safe. I've shot a LOT of ammo through it. The damn thing eats everything! Granted, I've been too chicken to put P+ ammo in it lately but it's not a matter of FTE: it's just an old gun.

two things to consider:
1) metal case ammo + plastic mags = terrible combo. there's just too much friction. I bought some Winchester metal case 9mm. Plastic mags failed to feed. As soon as I switched to metal ones, no problem.
2) Some guns take a while to "break-in". For example, I shot 1000 rds of cheapest Wolf through Tavor in one weekend. For the first 600 rounds, I had issues in almost every single mag. Very frustrating. Then it stopped. Not a single problem! not one! I've shot probably another 500 since then with zero problems.

I've owned my Glock 23 longer than any other gun in my safe. I've shot a LOT of ammo through it. The damn thing eats everything! Granted, I've been too chicken to put P+ ammo in it lately but it's not a matter of FTE: it's just an old gun.

The three exhibiting trouble are all well broken in by this point and most of the mags were either metal or metal lined. I did use an ETS G19 mag at one point on a AR9, but that one didn't actually have any issues. The issues were mainly extraction/ejection. The rounds were getting stuck in chambers and/or being generally sluggish in extraction.

two things to consider:
:confused: Brass, aluminum, and steel are all metal. Do you mean "cases other than brass"? The plastics used in magazines should be more lubricious than their metal liners.

Also, it would take a really special circumstance for the magazine/case interface to have any effect on extraction.
[...] I've been too chicken to put P+ ammo in it lately but it's not a matter of FTE: it's just an old gun.
Are you talking about the Glock Kaboom? Because a pistol introduced in 1990 can't be all that old

Back
Top Bottom