• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Does this qualify as a mania yet? If we don't end up in a full blown shooting war in the next year or so, the crash should be epic. (probably not though) I'm just thinking if an index went straight up like this, its almost certain to come straight back down at some point. Lots of people will probably start nibbling because its "only" 35-40 cpr

Does this qualify as a mania yet? If we don't end up in a full blown shooting war in the next year or so, the crash should be epic. (probably not though) I'm just thinking if an index went straight up like this, its almost certain to come straight back down at some point. Lots of people will probably start nibbling because its "only" 35-40 cpr

If a full blown shooting war broke out, I wonder who would capture the ammo factories...

We're dealing with an avalanche of new firearm owners. Even if only 20% of them take up recreational shooting, thats an enormous tide that buoys ammo prices. Until Coronavirus/looting/rioting is a distant memory, ammo prices are gonna stay sky high. This is obviously not a "normal gun panic." 2020 is possibly one of the most fear laden years in the last 50.

We're dealing with an avalanche of new firearm owners. Even if only 20% of them take up recreational shooting, thats an enormous tide that buoys ammo prices. Until Coronavirus/looting/rioting is a distant memory, ammo prices are gonna stay sky high. This is obviously not a "normal gun panic." 2020 is possibly one of the most fear laden years in the last 50.

Don't forget supply chains were slowed down going all the way back to the copper mines too. Perfect storm for crazy prices

I’ve always thought of Prime as letting me more cost effectively try one or two boxes of this or that ammunition. Not being a reloader, I have to pick and chose among the commercial offerings to find a load I like for a particular gun for a particular purpose.

Same here. I just ordered 3 boxes of 30-06 that my rifle likes and some Remington Sluggers.

Hmmm

It was cheaper when I got it 😆
View attachment 391124

It’s the new packaging. It must have a gold leaf liner.

Bob

If a full blown shooting war broke out, I wonder who would capture the ammo factories...

Won't matter. Who'll capture the lead mines? Copper mines? Who'll create the core components for the smokeless powder? Then, who will control the supply lines between all of them?

LCAAP is in Missouri, but there aren't any significant lead-mining operations in the same area (though, for the sake of argument, there are still significant lead ore deposits). For copper you have to hit the Southwest. For smokeless powder... you'd need a team of extremely knowledgeable chemists to produce it at scale, raw ingredients...

Nah, ammo factories (or any of the other components) are useless during a short-term shooting war. Ammo dumps, on the other hand...

Just curious. Has anyone else let their prime membership at TSUSA expire since it's practically useless right now anyway? I did. I'm pretty stocked up I can go at least a couple years without buying ammo if I have to. I refuse to chase down quickly disappearing $17.99/box steel cased 9mm...

Mine is up on the 27th of this month. I will re-up only after things get closer to "normal" Whatever that turns out to be...

View attachment 391110

It's just depressing. Torn between "How much???" and "But, I just like shooting my 5.56 so damn much!"

I was especially bemused by this line on the page: "223 Remington ammo made by Hornady is inexpensive target & practice ammunition."

Reloading is FUN.
And rewarding financially.

Yea I used to take advantage and order 1 or 2 boxes of things, and for that it definitely works out but I've got ammo for all the calibers I have and the few that I don't I have plenty of components for so I was like screw it I'll spend the $95.00 when they start getting stuff back in stock, it's just annoying right now lol
Yup, if I reloaded I’d probably join you. Those of us who are late to the reloading game are stuck with getting what we can where we can.

If you shoot a K31, m1911, etc., you might want to grab some of this.
Prices haven't gone ballistic, yet!

Just signed up today finally. Bought 3 boxes of PCM Bronze. LGS had a a case on Thursday, closed Friday, and I went when he first opened on Saturday and he didn’t have any left. Hmmmm. May have lost a customer.

I thought the only online retail that we spoke about was Target sports. Because they lawyered up and gave the FU to the attorney general. We don't want her sending letters to other vendors that may get scared and stop selling to mass residents

I removed it but I’m pretty sure Larry P isn’t afraid of letters from Maura and has plenty more legal resources than TSUSA.

I removed it but I’m pretty sure Larry P isn’t afraid of letters from Maura and has plenty more legal resources than TSUSA.
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe it has more to do with his accountants and lawyers getting together and advising him to drop MA from the "will ship to" list because the money coming in from MA isnt worth the legal bills to fight the AG.

Don't forget supply chains were slowed down going all the way back to the copper mines too. Perfect storm for crazy prices

Thing is, Vista Outdoor (parent company of Federal, Speer, CCI, Blazer etc etc) in their recent quarterly earnings report says their supply chain disruptions were minimal. The DEMAND is that LARGE!

From August ER:
Mark Smith

Okay. And then as we look at the ammunition market, any commodity or component shortages or issues that you guys see out there today?

Chris Metz

Well, that is - I mean, certainly, actually, to be honest, I mean there's not huge shortages in materials. There is more just capacity constraints, to be honest. I mean it's across the industry. You walk retail today, if you saw what our wholesalers and distributors are carrying, it's the leanest we've ever seen them in inventory, which is a really good sign, and it's one of the key differences between previous surges and this surge is, inventory levels are as clean as we've ever seen them.

The one thing I will say about commodities as well is our team has done a pretty nice job of commodity hedging, if you will. And we've needed it because we've had to pay overtime rates. We've had to pay surcharges. We've had to pay all sorts of premiums to keep our factory going in the current environment that we're in.

Last edited:

If you shoot a K31, m1911, etc., you might want to grab some of this.
Prices haven't gone ballistic, yet!

TSUSA went nearly a year and a half I think without it, now twice this year they have re stocked it. Besides scrounging for the last box here and there at various FFLs in NH when I go up, I've picked up 10 boxes each time TSUSA has had it this year. The PPU is good stuff, good reloadable brass.

If anyone were to venture that mission it would probably be locals.....but most likely nobody because they'd very likely be either shut down completely and the lines/machines disabled or guarded by troops with APCs and tanks as part of a national security issue.

Last edited:
Especially when you are properly stocked prior to any shortages....
This is the key, as prices for components get dragged into any ammo panic.

Ive had 9mm and 223 related components sitting on a shelf for probably a couple of years because factory ammo was cheap enough. I havent bought any factory ammo and have been loading for those two calibers since around March. At some point if/when prices return to whatever I feel is normal, Ill stop loading and start buying again (factory ammo and rebuilding reloading stock)

As with a lot of things, the time to buy is when things are quiet and there doesnt seem to be any immediate reason to stock up

Back
Top Bottom