Target Sentry safe and sack ups.

Greetings,

I bought a fire safe made by Sentry from Target - it's 1.2 capacity with digital keypad to store some fire arms. However, upon looking over its manual, they state that the safe is "not designed to store firearms". Based on their website I think it's because fireproofing used keeps inside of the safe humid.
I heard of sack ups, and actually bought one for testing. Supposedly they pull the moisture away from the guns and keep them dry.
Has anyone else used sack ups? Are they good in the long run?
What aboug sentry safes? Should I return this one, and perhaps get a gun cabinet?

Thanks,

Andrew

I use sack ups and love them! I also use a Sentry safe that I'm sure isn't rated for fireproofing but I only use it for security/safety reasons. I don't think the moisture is the issue.

I went safe shopping a few months ago and noticed that Sentry Safe sells some safes as 'gun safes' and some as home or office safes. Their web site sentrysafe.com clearly states in their FAQ that the firesafe line is NOT for firearms storage. They do however sell gun safes that are fire resistant, so I don't think it's an insulation issue.

I suspect that some of the firesafe products are not secure enough for firearms (CA has a standard that the safe industry seems to use as a guideline). Also I suspect, but don't know for sure, that Sentry Safe would want to limit their liability and insurance costs by selling the home/office variety with the disclaimer "not for firearms storage".

To add confusion, Wally world sells some cheapo 'gun storage' devices (they may or may not use the word 'safe' to describe them) that probably look weak compared to your safe.

If I were you I'd return it and go to Four Season's and buy a 'gun safe' (where I got my senty safe--best prices!). When it comes to firearms storage you don't want to defy the legal disclaimer.

With any safe or gun locker, I recommend you equip it with a Golden Rod electric dehumidifying device. I have been using this product for fifteen years with excellent results!

It is a humidity issue. To quote from the Sentry manual for one of their firesafes http://www.sentrysafe.com/pdfs/ownersmanuals/501393.pdf

WARNING - DO NOT store delicate items directly in your product. SentrySafe products which offer fire protection have a patented insulation that has a high moisture content. If you choose to store delicate items such as jewelery with working parts, watches, stamps, or photos in your product we recommend putting them in an air-tight container, prior to placing them in the product for storage.

As to security - A wide range of safes bear the UL Rating "Residential Security Container." While some pretty decent gun safes have this rating, the rating also appears to be available for anything more secure than a tin can. Getting a "real" rated safe (TL-30, for example) in a gun safe size will typically mean several thousand - both in dollars of cost and weight in lbs. of the unit.

Last edited:
If you're using a golden rod dehumidifier make sure you take the slings off your rifles. Leather slings can dry out easy that way no matter how much dressing you put on them. I heard this from a person at Turner Slings.

So, it's a safe, used to secure valuables, but don't put any valuables in it because they might get ruined.

Let me see, what 'junk' do I have that I feel might need to be locked up so no one will steal it and that I don't care about if it gets ruined? HHmmmmm. Wait a minute ! No one wants to steal junk ! I can just leave that laying around !

I wonder why they make a 'safe' to lock up junk that no one wants in the first place?

So, it's a safe, used to secure valuables, but don't put any valuables in it because they might get ruined.

Let me see, what 'junk' do I have that I feel might need to be locked up so no one will steal it and that I don't care about if it gets ruined? HHmmmmm. Wait a minute ! No one wants to steal junk ! I can just leave that laying around !

I wonder why they make a 'safe' to lock up junk that no one wants in the first place?

Out of coffee again, eh, Pilgrim?

If it's damp enough for rust/corrosion, I don't think it's safe for valuable papers either.

It will pay to do some reading on what makes a safe fireproof and how the fireproofing works. That will shed some light on these comments about rust/corrosion, etc.

I stand corrected on my reasoning in my previous post. Rob Boudrie was correct in that the Firesafe line will cause items to rust due to the insulation used to prevent the items from incinerating during a fire. The thing that was confusing me is that there is a Gun safe with fire protection.

Bottom line remains the same: use a gun safe for your firearms!

From the Sentry web site:

"Sentry Fire-Safe products which offer fire protection have a patented insulation. Any fire resistant safe contains insulation, which in turn, contains water crystals; thus the high content of moisture. In addition,the Sentry advanced safes close airtight to offer water resistance, which may also cause moisture to accumulate inside your safe.

We suggest that you open the safe at least once every two weeks for approximately 20 minutes. To alleviate any musty odor, we suggest that you remove the items from the safe and wipe the interior with a paste of baking soda and water.

Sentry Group is happy to send you a desiccant pack that should help to absorb excess humidity in the safe. To request this, please forward your mailing information with name, address, city, state, zip code and a check or money order in the amount of $5/set of 2 packs to:"

If I had a big pile of cash laying around, I'd definately have a firesafe to keep it from burning.

But I don't have a pile of cash; I do have a gun safe though.

hmmmm.... there may be a connection there [wink]

Yeah they are snow flakes. You also have to keep your safe plugged in, so the internal compressor/condenser unit will stay running.

If not, you will end up with a VERY soggy safe interior, once the snowflakes melt!

Back
Top Bottom