• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target practice in my yard??? (MASS)

Hi All,

I feel stupid but I can't find the answer to this.

I have a sloping 1 acre yard with woods beyond my property line.

I have an area that would make an excellent backstop.

My question is, can I do target practice in my back yard?

I'm thinking the answer is no but I'd like to know the law.

Thanks.

David

Not on my left (100') or right (50') but I am in the direction I'd be shooting.

David
Here's the most relevant M.G.L: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-12e.htm

Appears your answer is "no", unless you get your neighbors' permission (better yet their participation). It appears the 500' distance is measured from the point of discharge in all directions, not just in the direction of fire.

Good Luck

I don't know where you live, or how tight you are with your neighbors, but letting loose a few rounds within 50' of a house will most likely get you just about every LEO in your area on your front lawn. You're better off joining a club.

Just want to clearify. You plan to shot into a piece of property you do not own.[thinking] Like I said find a club.

Kurt

Thanks All,

I thought the answer would be no, but it's good to know.

I would be shooting on my property, I have about 300' directly behind my house. [smile]

I am joining a local club but I was curios about what the law was.

David

I am joining a local club but I was curios about what the law was.
[hmmm]But not curious enough to do the search yourself.

For gun legal questions I start at GOAL: http://www.goal.org/. One click to their Law Chart. From there it's 1 click to the right M.G.L., or one that's close. If it's not exactly right then browsing the chapter table of contents or searching will find it. MA has done a decent job of putting the M.G.L. online. Doesn't mean they make sense, but they can be found.

Thanks for making the newbie feel welcome. [bow]
You're welcome. A simple flame would have stopped with the first line. A teaching moment includes the instructions for how the answers were found so you can do it yourself the next time. Most of the most indelible lessons I've learned started with a figurative (or literal) [slap] followed by a fishing lesson.

I know of a local police chief that shoots .22s off his back porch. (neighbors are proper distance away).

The eastern Mass. chiefs all do that too... right? [smile]

I shoot out behind my work all the time....We are also on a huge piece of land with nothing behind my backstop for about 3 miles.
We just call the Police before we go out to let them know we are target shooting and all is fine. A couple of times they joked about coming down to join us.

I was wondering, before I sold my Marlin 1894, if firing wax bullets with primers only (no gunpowder) would count as discharging a firearm on the property. My guess was "yes", even though they were much less lethal than, say, a hardball hit with a bat.

What are you shooting? I'm tempted to go out an get an air pistol (I like handguns) so I can do target practice in my yard and/or basement.
I have a hill on the side of my property, so I do exactly that - CO2 pistol and box of newspaper to hold the target. Wish I had a really large back yard, say in New Hampshire, so I could shoot my .45s in it!

What are you shooting? I'm tempted to go out an get an air pistol (I like handguns) so I can do target practice in my yard and/or basement.

About a year ago I bought a high-quality air pistol (Steyr LP50) and set up a range in my basement. In addition to being more fun to shoot than I ever imagined, I estimate that the opportunity to practice any time I want has added at least 10 points to my Bullseye league scores. All in all, one of the smartest things I ever did, and something anyone can do for very short money (not the Steyr, but there are many quality air pistols for a lot less). And after the initial investment, the actual shooting is essentially free.

What about this part:

The provisions of this section shall not apply to (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established;

Me being the owner of the land..?

[wink]

Whispering death for tree rats!!!

[wink]

22-cb-long.jpg

Last edited:
Springer, do you suppose you could RESIZE that pic so that it not larger than the entire screen? Especially since I'm running 1280x1024? [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom