• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Talk to me about semi-autos

O/U

Hi guys,

I've been thinking. Yes, not a good thing for me, but it's gotta happen sometimes.

I bought my first handgun, a S&W 686, a couple months ago. I love this gun. Several folks here steered me in the 686 direction, and I haven't looked back. It shoots well, is easy to clean and goes with me hunting as a backup/sidearm every time I walk into the woods (I hunt in VT where my gimped LTC A doesn't hamper me). I'm slowly learning the art of handgunning. It's not as intuitive for me as shotgunning, but I am making progress.

This summer I shot my buddy's Kimber 1911. Wow, was it fun! I think it's time for me to start looking for a good first semi-auto. I may be moving back to VT in the near-term, so my selection will most likely be wide open. What will I use it for? Target, plinking, and as protection in the field.

So, tell me about semi-autos. This is a generic plea for any and all information about them: what brands do you like, what calibers, what features? Talk to me about what a decocker does and why you would or would not want one. Talk to me about carry, shooting styles, maintenance, the virtues of semi-autos over revolvers and vice versa. What semi-auto would you want on your hip if you were stuck in the woods (or would you rather have a revolver)? I want the obvious and the obscure. I want facts and opinions. This is a handgun free-for-all!

What advice would you offer a total semi-auto newbie (aside from the 4 rules which I follow like a religious zealot)?

If you like the feel of the 1911, then I would recommend the S&W 1911, The one I have, has run great with many thousands of rounds through it.

I like a nice light crisp trigger, don't like DA/SA, and I don't like the Glock trigger. I really comes down to personal preference.

Shoot as many different guns as you can, only you will know what feels right

Take a hard look at the SIGs. There are large frame, medium frame and small frame, and unlike most small-frame autos, the SIG 239 is easy to shoot and hit something with. Calibers are 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 and .45. Easy to field strip and clean; feel good in the hands; have a lockup system that eliminates the need for a bushing yet gives similar accuracy; mine have been virtually flawless in terms of ammo feeding. Only drawback is that they are expensive.

A big thing to consider is caliber.

9mm has the advantage that ammo is cheap and you can have up to 17 rounds in a magazine (assuming you live in a free state). Recoil is also pretty light. .45ACP makes a big hole and recoil is still fairly light but ammo is almost double the cost of 9mm. .40SW and .357 Sig are sort of 1/2 way in between but are higher velocity.

Personally, I bought a S&W M&P9 and would like a .45 caliber 1911 someday. I don't see myself buying either a .40SW or .357 Sig gun.

If you don't get a 1911 now, you will later.

+1. I'm a new shooter, and I'm planning to get a plastic 9 for my first centerfire handgun, mainly for size/weight and cost (both gun and ammo) reasons. But I already know there's a 1911 in my future.

Another vote for the 1911, I always find myself going back to them. There are many 1911s around but S&W is the most widely available in MA.

To me no other handgun is as comfortable, safe, and easy to shoot as a 1911. Also if you are use to shooting .357 mag then .45 acp should not be a problem.

I bought a S&W Sigma 9mm for my first handgun. I love it! It was fairly inexpensive, 330.00 new at Smith & Wesson. Very reliable and shot my first IDPA match with it. Never jams and has pretty good accuracy at 50ft.

I really like single action autoloaders like the 1911 and SIG P-210. If money wasn't an issue, my handgun of choice would be a SIG P-210, but money is an issue which is why the 1911 is #1 for me. 45 ACP is a great round and quite common and 1911 parts, mags, and accessories are everywhere.

Revolvers are great because you don't have to spend money on quality magazines (moon and speeds are cheaper) but the downside is you are limited to 6-8 rds (depending on model) with revolvers and reloads can be slower than auto's depending on how much you practice. I like revolvers a lot but I prefer auto's as I am faster (double taps, follow ups, and reloads) and more accurate with auto's like the 1911 (crisp SA trigger).

Some of my favorite brands are... SIG (P-210, P-226, & P-239), Wilson Combat 1911's, Smith and Wesson revolvers (625 and 686) and 1911's. For DA/SA handguns, I prefer SIG over all others (the P-226 and P-239). My three favorite calibers are... 45 ACP, 9MM, and 357 Mag.

One thing to keep in mind with auto's, quality magazines are a big issue, don't cheap out on junk mags.

I'm reading with interest, folks.

I like the look of the S&W 1911's, and I do think that no matter what eventually I will own one.

I also like the idea of having a cheap shooting semi-auto. What do folks think of the Beretta 92fs? I like the Sig's, and have heard nothing but great things about them but I find them... ugly.

Best advice I can offer is become an NES paid member and go to a NES Members shoot (like the pumpkin shoot we just had) where you'll be able to try lots of different stuff.

Barring that, go rent some stuff (Manchester Firing Line).

I don't know where you live, but I'd be happy to let you try what I have (1911, Sig226, and a couple of 22's) if you in North Central MA.

my two carry guns are a little pricey here in the communist state of mass,but i trust them to function perfectly each and every time i pull the trigger.H&K USP 45 full size and a SPRINGFIELD CHAMPION 45 in stainless.i think that the other guys have a good point try out as many differant guns as you can before buying one.nothing worse than buying something then finding out it's not for you.

Excellent Advice

Best advice I can offer is become an NES paid member and go to a NES Members shoot (like the pumpkin shoot we just had) where you'll be able to try lots of different stuff.

Barring that, go rent some stuff (Manchester Firing Line).

I don't know where you live, but I'd be happy to let you try what I have (1911, Sig226, and a couple of 22's) if you in North Central MA.

Excellent advice! Look O/U, for about $20.00 you can become a full member here at Northeast Shooters and come to a members shoot. You have no idea how rich if a shooting environment you will be in until you go to one! I can't think of a single soul who would not gladly let you try before you buy. There are dozens of people at the shoot with a plethora of choices. I'm not stacked deep in pistols, but if you're in the Western Mass area, you're welcome to try what I have, (1911, Para, Glock, HK9mm, etc).

Personally, I love 1911's as well but have my sights set on a Smith and Wesson M&P .45 - I never did get to shoot one at the Pumpkin Shoot! Damn! My bad! [frown] I like the Glock, but don;t love it and I had a Beretta 92 and was far from fond of it - felt clunky, but folks do love them.

Just like Matt said. Make a list of what your ideal semi should have on it. Then do a little research and find what you can that equals that in this God for saken state and then go to a range that rents them and shoot it. You will never know just looking at pictures until you shoot it. If your going to choose to have this as your main carry gun it is wise to be very happy and knowledgeable with it. When I bought my first carry gun I fired about 1000 rnds only with a snap cap before I brought it to the range. I had already tested it at a rental range but my thought was no one is safe, including me at a range unless I know everything there is to know about my gun and when I fired my gun at the range for the first time it was like this is very familiar. IHO.

What do folks think of the Beretta 92fs?

The 92FS was my first handgun and the same sidearm that I used in the Air Force. I still love it but it was what I was used to. It is fairly cheap to shoot and has not jammed yet. It is very easy to field strip as well. One benefit (if you are in Mass) is it is relatively easy to find pre-ban 15 round magazines. I have heard that people with small hands don't find it all that comfortable but I have not had this issue. Good luck with your search.

What do folks think of the Beretta 92fs?
I'm not a fan of the 92fs. As has already been mentioned, it is big. Really big. If you have small to medium hands you may find that you have trouble comfortably reaching the trigger.

Second, it is DA/SA. That is, the first shot is double action -- a long, hard trigger pull. The second (and subsequent shots) are single action -- short, light trigger pull. It takes a lot of training to become proficient in getting off two fast, accurate shots, starting at DA and managing the transition to SA.

Finally, I really, really don't like slide mounted safety/decocking levers (S&W third generation autos have the same failing). When cycling the slide during a reload, it is far too easy to accidentally hit the safety/decocker and put the gun on safe when you didn't intend to.

I recommend instead that you look at a gun that has a consistent trigger pull (i.e., is not DA/SA). Look at a striker fired gun (e.g., Glock, S&W M&P), or single action (e.g., 1911), or a double-action-only gun (e.g., Sig DAK). Here in MA, some of the choices are limited. Note that if you do get a S&W M&P with a MA trigger (10+ lb), you may want to get a trigger job right away to lower it to something more reasonable.

I also like the idea of having a cheap shooting semi-auto. What do folks think of the Beretta 92fs? I like the Sig's, and have heard nothing but great things about them but I find them... ugly.

IMO a 92FS is "good" (especially if you replace the
way overpowered mainspring to reduce the DA pull) but a
Sig P226 is "better", perception differences of "ugliness"
notwithstanding. [grin] I found I could generally shoot and group a
whole lot better with the P226.

I have a P226 and had a 92FS. I dumped the 92FS because
I found I just wasn't shooting it that often, I kept favoring the
other 9mm's I had. Oddly enough though, if I wasn't tight for
cash at the time I would have kept it... a 92 is still a decent
pistol overall to have around.

-Mike

Back