• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SWISS ARMY KNIFE THREAD

Still in great shape for a 30+ year-old knife that saw use...

I didn’t do great value wise as they are only $29.00,$30.00 new. I liked the corkscrew, and wanted to see how they clean up. I’m on the lookout for an early officers knife. They have exposed rivets, a bail, and nickel silver liners. You can feel the difference in quality when you hold them, at least that’s what this guy says. I have a funny feeling it’s going to cost a small fortune.

View: https://youtu.be/xJa11lo4i1A

You never know. I found a Samuel Barlow knife in Allston for a few dollars. Found it in a wooden bucket. In hindsight I should have bought the whole bucket. The knife was from 1750-1795. Value at the time was about $250.00. People will sell anything at yard sales.

This thread got me digging through my knife box. I found this, but don't know what model it is. Looks like maybe the evolution 17, but it has the older scales. Any ideas? 20201111_115058.jpg 20201111_115058.jpg

Goddamn you guys got me all over the place with this thread, I really really like the Red Alox Pro but doing a look around I saw the orange, it’s not Alox which if it was it would have been an insta purchase but still tempting B0E9506D-388B-4354-A062-7D5D484A56DD.png

I thought about the orange. Strongly.

In the end, I'm just hung up on the idea that a SAK has to be red. I know it's 2020 now and not 1988, but that's just how I roll. And the alox is SO damn thin in the pocket...

They look indestructible.

My only worry so far is the belt clip. I feel like if I drag it out of my pocket too quickly, it might bend. I'd seen people on the interwebs opining about that, too.

But yeah, overall, the thing feels SOLID.

I thought about the orange. Strongly.

In the end, I'm just hung up on the idea that a SAK has to be red. I know it's 2020 now and not 1988, but that's just how I roll. And the alox is SO damn thin in the pocket...
Ahh yes the good old days, SAK=Red. Then they came out with black and now the Alox with limited production runs has people spinning in a hundred different colorful directions. Brilliant marketing scheme. Orange handle knifes do have a special place in my heart though. Decisions decisions...

Last edited:

10:56 is interesting rope cut-testing.
15:38 is Human Flesh cut-testing... [rofl2]
Tiny boo-boo...
18:00 Descriptive review...
20:00 Very positive Primary Outdoor Folder comments...

Last edited:
@SHOCKNAWE, here is a quick comparison between the ALOX Hunter Pro's and the Composite-handled Hunter Pro, in 'Black' but same shape as the 'orange'...

Watching this video and it’s bizarre to me how the guy methodically takes his time with everything, it’s the polar opposite of what I do. I tear open the box like a 5 year old with a Christmas gift and snap the blade out in hand, not sure I ever read the paperwork that comes with it either

I was a line cook at a busy Downtown Lowell Pub in the late 70's into the first year or two of the 1980's.
I made and cut thousands of sandwiches and burgers... with huge French knives (also called Chef's knives) and got cut sooo many times in the beginning... [rofl2]

The worst was a towering Roast Beef Club cut from corner to corner in both directions. And you know what? I love a great Club Sandwich, but you don't see them as much as you used too...

1605216118844.png

Back
Top Bottom