Support for Our Troops

Lynne said:
Well, there is someone in Alan's unit that didn't have anyone. She sent me his name and she and Glenn has also adopted him.

Lynne... Kath & I are going to be writing to him, too... he won't be forgotten.

Ross

I was just going to say Ross is involved too. [lol] My partners in crime.
You don't know how much I appreciate it. Thanks guys.

MrsWildweasel said:
Lynne,I am no hero, but too me these guys are,and I just want them to know someone cares. [lol]

And dearest Susan - without people like you to look out for them, then they'd have less mail to read. So hush up woman, and take your compliment like a soldier. :D [wink]

(Ross - glad to hear that you're helping out with him too.)

BTW Sue - if you get more names, let me/us know.

So far it is only one out of 152 soldiers. Glenn will tell you I don't take compliments well,and I like to be in the background. Even when I was in the Army. Thank you anyways. [lol]

Skald pm inbound. This soldier is the only one in the unit out of 152 that has absolutely no one. I adopted him and a few here on the board are my partners in crime in assuring he gets mail,but you are also welcome to adopt him also. Just let me know.

This is sad...

Soldiers Have Army Records Stolen
Associated Press | September 26, 2005
DENVER - While fighting in Iraq, Army Sgt. Steven Behr suddenly found himself vulnerable at home.

Four computer hard drives containing soldiers' Social Security numbers and other personal records were stolen from Fort Carson - a crime that could expose Behr to identity theft.

Behr was one of 15,000 active duty soldiers notified this month of the theft, along with family members and civilians who work at the Army post in Colorado.

"They have my information for the last 11 years in the military," Behr told The Associated Press last week in Iraq. "With the way fraud is going in the U.S. these days, anybody could get my credit report, or something like that. I'm just trying to figure out how someone could steal four computers from a secure area. They're supposed to be locked up pretty tight."

Fort Carson spokeswoman Dee McNutt said there is no way to determine how many records were compromised. Everyone who could be a potential victim was being notified, McNutt said.

McNutt said there have been no reports that the records have been used to steal identities.

The heist is still under investigation by military authorities. The FBI said it has not been called in to assist; the military said it would not ask for help unless there was evidence a civilian was involved.

The hard drives were stolen in mid-August from a building on the post in Colorado Springs where soldiers get identification cards and update their personnel records, McNutt said. Records taken included soldiers' Social Security numbers, dates of birth, rank, unit, citizenship and jobs.

Behr said he and other members of the 3rd Armored Calvary Regiment fighting in Iraq were told to report any credit card or other unusual financial activity to military police.

Michelle Joyner, spokeswoman for the National Military Family Association, a nonprofit organization that helps military families, said soldiers are still at risk even though the military has made great strides helping them protect themselves from identity theft.

Joyner said the military no longer requires soldiers to put their personal information and Social Security numbers on checks and other documents. The military also offers financial training to recruits that includes information on ways to protect themselves from identity theft.

Soldiers who go on active duty can put an "active duty alert" on their credit reports, requiring creditors to verify an applicant's identity before granting credit.

Joyner said soldiers are just as vulnerable as civilians, but the theft of the computer hard drives was particularly troubling because the military keeps a lot more information about its personnel than does private industry.

Claudia Bourne-Farrell, spokeswoman for the Federal Trade Commission, which provides records of identity theft to 1,400 law enforcement agencies across the country, said soldiers do not get special treatment when it comes to such crimes.

Mary Lou Wild, district manager for the Consumer Credit Counseling Service in Colorado Springs, said soldiers are particularly vulnerable to identity theft because they are usually young, transient, inexperienced in financial matters and do not frequently check their credit histories.

Even so, Maxine McKay, manager of the Armed Forces Bank, a private bank on post, said many soldiers are proficient with computers and do monitor their accounts online from all over the world, even though they may not check their credit histories very often.

"They can watch every withdrawal their girlfriend makes," she said.

I can put this out now. Our guys have landed safely in Kuwait. they had a 20 hour flight. There have been some articles in our local paper about them shipping from Ft. Dix. Alan called us this noon time and it was a nice 90 degrees and dry heat. He did say the food was good where they are at. [lol]

MrsWildweasel said:
I can put this out now. Our guys have landed safely in Kuwait. they had a 20 hour flight. There have been some articles in our local paper about them shipping from Ft. Dix. Alan called us this noon time and it was a nice 90 degrees and dry heat. He did say the food was good where they are at. [lol]

Sounds like Tony'd love it. [wink]

dwarven1 said:
MrsWildweasel said:

Sounds like Tony'd love it. [wink]

Yep!

And, Sue, nice to hear, So far-So good! Please pass along my prayers and respect.

Tony, will do. As far as Tony loving it heck I would. I loved the desert in Idaho. Dry heat is good,what Tony gets heat and humidity,BAD. Very bad. [twisted]

TonyD said:
Hey, at least it ain't snowing!!

There are days when I agree with you, Tony... this is one of them. I still don't have the leaves off of my lawn because I've felt so rotten this last week.

MarlboroForcast.jpg

No it's not snowing,but Glenn and I took a ride up country, and low and behold what did we find on the ground? It was white. They'd had some snow.,made us cold looking at it. [lol] Most of the leaves are down too from all the rain. It was still a nice drive.

I just received this from my buddy. He just got it from a friend who's still in and the sender was, at one point, under his command. I thought I'd share this with you guys....it says a lot.

All, I wish to share with you my thoughts at this very moment...

I AM ANGRY!

I am ANGRY because at 0910 on September 11, 2001, I saw the smoke rising from the Pentagon from the streets of Washington, D.C.

I am ANGRY because I have been sent to a place thousands of miles from home only to have my country quarrel about why I am here.

I am ANGRY because I have spent the last three years either in Iraq or
preparing to return to Iraq.

I am ANGRY because I have lost both American and Iraqi friends, lost a
marriage, have been wounded by the enemy, and have missed the births and deaths of close family while deployed away from home.

I am ANGRY because politicians quibble about why I am here and when I should return.

I am ANGRY because many across our great nation are so blinded by
ideological differences that they cannot see reality.

I am ANGRY because so many Americans take their freedom for granted.

I am ANGRY because many more Americans will die in the years ahead. They will die because the world is rapidly becoming a more dangerous place than ever before.

I am ANGRY because nowadays, a small group of people can destroy thousands of lives with very little equipment.

I am ANGRY because the WEST actually thinks that by leaving the Middle East, we will somehow win or that the problem of terrorism will somehow go away.

I am ANGRY because those who sent me here cannot adequately and eloquently articulate why I am here.

I am ANGRY because I see that the progress made in Iraq thus far has been undermined and unpublicized thru the American media.

I am ANGRY because Congressman Murtha, a distinguished Veteran, should know better than to withdraw now. He should know that the Vietnamese Communists were different than the terrorist betrayers of Islam. Congressman Murtha should know that the threat is different and the threat is real.

I am ANGRY because we are working our asses off and are making a real
difference, a difference that will lead to our desired Iraqi end state if we
are allowed to continue.

I am ANGRY because I know that it won't be enough for me to say I did my best, I worked my hardest, I did a lot of good.

I am ANGRY because those Americans who think that they can be for the troops and against the war are betraying the very troops they profess to support by giving our enemy hope.

I am ANGRY BECAUSE WE ARE WINNING!!!

Despite my ANGER, on this eve of the Iraqi National Election, I am hopeful
and I pray that GOD will help us to prevail.

I will be out at the polling sites tomorrow and am extremely proud to be a
part of this historic day.

Very respectfully yours,

L. C. M., First Lieutenant
3rd U.S. Cavalry

(I removed his name and where he is because this is a public forum. Lynne)

What sucks about all these...is we're the only ones that really read them.

We're the ones that support the troops, believe in what they are doing, thank them for giving us the life that we live today.

The people that need to read this, the ungrateful, the whiners, the ones that won't listen, the american media will never take the time to read this. Or blow it off as hogwash.

That's what makes me angry!

I got a pleasant surprise last night. We had a student that we did a HFS course for. He just got back from Iraq about 4 weeks ago. After the class was over, Ed asked him some questions. First off, he wants to go back. Ed asked why. He said, "Because we're winning. Because we've done more to fight terrorism over there than the vast majority of people know about. They love us over there...espceially the kids. We spend time with them (the kids) and we get all of them together to play ball. We have Suni's, Shiia (sp?), Kurds....all together, playing quite happily with us."

Isn't that amazing? Just think - those kids will be the leaders tomorrow, and maybe some of their memories will help to quell whatever disagreements they might have once they grow up.

He also said that not only are they training the army and police, they also have quite a lot of Iraqi's working on the base that he was at, and they're training them in electrical, plumbing, masonery, etc.etc.etc. He said that they're learning a bunch of trades that will help them become self sufficient once the bulk of the US force leaves.

I had heard on the radio a few days ago (I forget who it was) some a-hat saying that the majority of Iraqi people are either below income levels or unemployed. I asked him about that. He said that's BS. He said that for the first time in their lives, the people over there are getting a decent wage and have what we would call TOYS. They've never had those things before and the LIKE it. :D

He also said that he was there for the previous two elections and that the plain old non-military Iragi people were coming out to help THEM protect the polling places with their AK's. He said a number of them told him that "You've helped us get here. It's not right that we don't help you to protect what you've given us." You won't hear about that on the news, will ya?

He also told us about a mission they went on (not the specifics of it) and they were in a Chinook (sp?). As they were coming back from it, one of the guys was a sniper and had a nifty rifle. He offered to let him try it. So, they opened the door and he was looking down at area where there were a bunch of camels. So, as they were crusiing along, he took aim at one of them and dropped it with one shot. (He was so cute - he was all excited that he got him with 1 shot) The sniper told the pilot to land, that they had something to pick up. So, they hooked the camel up to a winch and drug him on board the chopper. Ed asked him what they did with it.
He said they BBQ'd it. They field dressed it, then they rammed a pole up it's butt and out it's chest and rigged up a spit. He said it took 6 of them to turn the spit, but there were 100 guys there so they took turns doing it.
(He had us laughing our butts off with the description of it) BTW - he said that camel is a bit tough and stingy, and no, it didn't taste like chicken. [lol]

He also said that the insurgents are not Iraqi....they're Syrian, Iranian, etc.. He also said that whenever one of our guys gets killed, it's usually because of dumb luck on the terrorists part. He said they waste more ammo than you could believe - they spray and pray, and once in a while they get lucky and hit someone. He said that they really are not trained and are basically pretty stupid. If they don't have someone with a brain leading them, then they're nothing more than fanatical lunatic street thugs. He said there were missions that he went on and if they really had been trained, the fights would have been a hell of a lot worse.

I asked him what he thought of the reporting here at home about what's going on. He shook his head and said, "Ma'am, it's plain BS. There were numerous times when we'd watch the news and look at each other, asking, 'Are they talking about over here?' The only station that was pretty decent was FOX."

So...there you have it. From the horses mouth...so to speak.

It was a most enjoyable night. [lol]

I'm with you on that one C-pher. I really truly wish the media would report the truth about what is happening over there. Our guys have done so much in so little time. Maybe if the media quit concentrating on body counts they might actually see the good.

Lynne, thanks for sharing that. What he said is why so many are VOLUNTERING to go back for second, and third tours. Which is why I truly wish more people would read the soldiers blogs,and then they'd realize that the main stream media has NO clue what is going on. It really iriates me that the media is so biased. The Iraqi people truly want their freedom, and are gaining everyday. I truly believe in what our guys are doing,and I know it is for the good.
Please if you see him Thank him for me.

C-pher said:
What sucks about all these...is we're the only ones that really read them.

We're the ones that support the troops, believe in what they are doing, thank them for giving us the life that we live today.

The people that need to read this, the ungrateful, the whiners, the ones that won't listen, the american media will never take the time to read this. Or blow it off as hogwash.

That's what makes me angry!

Reply from a Liberal friend of mine after reading the above post:

In a message dated 12/15/2005 6:38:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, dwarven1 writes:
am ANGRY because at 0910 on September 11, 2001, I saw the smoke rising
from the Pentagon from the streets of Washington, D.C.
I am ANGRY because this idiot and the rest of the country still has no idea that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and while we are spending billions of dollars and wasting thousands of lives in Iraq no one seems to give a damn about hunting down those who really were responsible.

Linda

I tried...

Actually, I might send her Lynne's new post and see if that does anything. Unfortunately, being from NJ and having spent several years living in NYC, she breathes it in in the very air...

Back
Top Bottom