Stupid things gun counter clerks say

When a customer tells you he can buy the gun/ammo cheaper elsewhere, he is either bluffing (the old "it's cheaper at the store that is always out of stock") or giving you a chance to be competitive.

Chance to be competitive I'm somewhat OK with. The bluffing guys are the ones I seem to have this problem with, and boy we have some cheap ones up here. They'll jack you down to the point where they want you to pay them to take it. You can always tell this kind at gun shows. They show up about 15 minutes before closing time, expecting a sweet deal. They don't get it from me. I'm not being a butthead over it, I just know they are more problem than they're worth over time.

It is not the buyers business if you are selling at a profit or a loss. It is the buyers business to seek out the vendor offering the best deal, and offering to negotiate where possible. It is not the customer's responsibility to accept a "profitable" price if others are offering better prices.

True, but expecting me to make EVERY sale to them at a loss, to let them dictate what price they'll pay EVERY time, that's not reasonable. And, a polite no to them should mean no, but the buttheads among them won't settle for no.

I remember a gunshop explaining how buyers shouldn't shop for the cheapest price. I asked what he did when dealing with distributors to buy inventory and was told "that's different" (presumably because it was his money).

Now, THAT is double standards. I don't always buy from the lowest distributor. I go for "best value" and that value includes quality and service considerations. My father used to say "you do your buying where you do you begging", meaning, you buy from the guy that takes care of you, cheapest or not. Besides, competitive is the key, not cheapest. My prices are competitive. Even have been the cheapest, on some stuff, while retaining quality.

I've done this with Lowes - told the manager "No, I do not have an ad from Sears. I've offering you $20 less than asking for that vaccuum to save myself a trip to Sears but, if you aren't interested in selling at that price, I'll make the trip to save $20." He adjusted the price, I saved $20, he made a sale.

And, I'm OK with that, or people that say something like that to me. They aren't the real problem. The guys that want it for near nothing, then want the world with it, for you to worship them too, they are the problem.

And they are out there.

- - - Updated - - -

I only rely on my 7.62.38, jk

I actually have a 7.62x38R revolver here.

I'll carry a 40, 45,9, or a 380 or what ever I get my paws on.

I'm actually with you. I just detest those that get on their high horse about caliber.

Better to hit with a 22, than miss with a 45.

Last edited:
Clerk - "Sorry but I can only sell you 2 boxes of ammo that has more than 50 bullets per box... that is the store policy and always has been."
Me - "But the store flyer says that the limit on this other .223 brand is 3 per customer".
Clerk - "That's different ... that brand is on sale."

Yes it is legal. So long as that person keeps the ammo in NH. So there's the rub. You buy ammo in NH, drive to MA and shoot someone. Then the cops find out you bought it in NH and the ATF climbs up the orifices of the shop owner. This is exactly why Shooter's ID's and only sells to MA residences if they actually have an FID/LTC.

It's not a law to check ID's to see if a person from another state has to have a license or not. The ATF has no business going after a shop owner in another state who legally sold ammo.
If the gun shop asks for ID it's the gun shop owners policy and there is no legal recourse. I've also never been asked for an ID when buying ammo at shooters or anywhere else in the U.S. for that matter.

Chance to be competitive I'm somewhat OK with. The bluffing guys are the ones I seem to have this problem with, and boy we have some cheap ones up here. They'll jack you down to the point where they want you to pay them to take it. You can always tell this kind at gun shows. They show up about 15 minutes before closing time, expecting a sweet deal. They don't get it from me. I'm not being a butthead over it, I just know they are more problem than they're worth over time.

True, but expecting me to make EVERY sale to them at a loss, to let them dictate what price they'll pay EVERY time, that's not reasonable. And, a polite no to them should mean no, but the buttheads among them won't settle for no.

Now, THAT is double standards. I don't always buy from the lowest distributor. I go for "best value" and that value includes quality and service considerations. My father used to say "you do your buying where you do you begging", meaning, you buy from the guy that takes care of you, cheapest or not. Besides, competitive is the key, not cheapest. My prices are competitive. Even have been the cheapest, on some stuff, while retaining quality.

And, I'm OK with that, or people that say something like that to me. They aren't the real problem. The guys that want it for near nothing, then want the world with it, for you to worship them too, they are the problem.

And they are out there.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually have a 7.62x38R revolver here.

I'm actually with you. I just detest those that get on their high horse about caliber.

Better to hit with a 22, than miss with a 45.

I'm not going to Vermont to get it lols.

It's not a law to check ID's to see if a person from another state has to have a license or not. The ATF has no business going after a shop owner in another state who legally sold ammo.
If the gun shop asks for ID it's the gun shop owners policy and there is no legal recourse. I've also never been asked for an ID when buying ammo at shooters or anywhere else in the U.S. for that matter.

They carded me at Wally world new hampster. The lady said it was state law they could only sell to MA residents with a firearms license. Ugg

They carded me at Wally world new hampster. The lady said it was state law they could only sell to MA residents with a firearms license. Ugg

People make this shit up all the time. "We can't do xxxx. It's state law." NH RSAs would have to be 10x what they are now to cover all the made-up laws.

I was told by another customer in a store that I could not buy 2 magazines at the same time. That would violate the 10 round limit. I told him not to worry, I would only load 5 rounds in each when they are both in the gun at the same time.

Realistically:

- One could reasonably allege that a WW on the NH border would know that some of its customers were from MA, and that MA residents require a license to possess in their home state

- There is a possibility someone buying in WW is from MA, has no LTD or FID, and goes on to commit a crime.

- There is a chance the person will have a WW receipt in heir possession, or the fact they bought the ammo at WW will come out when the police investigate the source of gun and ammo

- There is a certainty that WW will pay legal fees if all of the above happens and the victim gets a contingency fee attorney, and a near certainty a settlement will be paid.

So, the WW policy is not irrational or stupid.

Realistically:

- One could reasonably allege that a WW on the NH border would know that some of its customers were from MA, and that MA residents require a license to possess in their home state

- There is a possibility someone buying in WW is from MA, has no LTD or FID, and goes on to commit a crime.

- There is a chance the person will have a WW receipt in heir possession, or the fact they bought the ammo at WW will come out when the police investigate the source of gun and ammo

- There is a certainty that WW will pay legal fees if all of the above happens and the victim gets a contingency fee attorney, and a near certainty a settlement will be paid.

So, the WW policy is not irrational or stupid.

Agreed, but they should not be making up laws like saying "its law we can only sell to MA people who have an LTC or FID". That isn't a law in NH. If they say "its store policy" then fine, its annoying but I wouldn't be as upset about it. Store policy and the law are not the same.

Agreed, but they should not be making up laws like saying "its law we can only sell to MA people who have an LTC or FID". That isn't a law in NH. If they say "its store policy" then fine, its annoying but I wouldn't be as upset about it. Store policy and the law are not the same.

they will keep making up fake laws because they know it shuts down most people. I've basically given up at this point.

Absolutely agreed.

Saying it "is law" makes them sound ignorant.

The problem is that low level clerks are told the policy, and then start making stuff up to fill in the blanks. This is similar to how various religions have come up with explanations for various things.

My father used to say "you do your buying where you do you begging", meaning, you buy from the guy that takes care of you, cheapest or not.
Having good relations with an FFL can be worth it's weight in gold if you are 209A'ed and need a MA licensed dealer to take possession before Dowd can get his theft mobile to the station.

Ditto of you want a shop to set aside some primers or powder for you in times of shortage.

Something worth remembering when the local shop has a gun for $20 more than the guy 30 miles away.

I've been told "that's too heavy for a little thing like you to carry" and tries to talk me into a small gun with lots of recoil. So I took my business somewhere else. Lost a sale.

Well on the flip side, I was buying a used S&W 39-2 at MFLR and a tiny older woman (prob mid-60s or so) was buying her first gun and she and I got to talking while we waited. She told me she lived alone and wanted something to protect herself.

The clerk recommended a Glock 20 and she bought it. Not exactly the gun I would recommend.

When a customer tells me they can buy it cheaper at insert store (usually Walmart), I answer with "then that's the place to buy it" and end the discussion. Now, I only use this on the arrogant cases that we know want me to pay them for buying the ammo from me. Trying to talk me down with their story.

It usually ends the discussion, the cheap bozos go elsewhere. I end up refusing to sell to them anyways. They make poor customers as they expect me to sell to them at a loss, every time.

Fair enough, that's your right as a businessman but I think you're being a bit short-sighted. When I let a business owner know I can buy it for less elsewhere I am presenting him with a sales opportunity. He can either work with me on price or not. His choice.

I wanted an Eotech for one of my ARs and found one online for $375 or so at the time. I had purchased the AR from John at Chester Arms and called him to see if he could match the price and if so, I would give my business to him. He couldn't match and told me so.

The thing is, I wasn't being a dick trying to drive his price down. I wanted to give him my money because I like the guy and want him to be successful.

Bull sh** !
Yes it is legal. So long as that person keeps the ammo in NH. So there's the rub. You buy ammo in NH, drive to MA and shoot someone. Then the cops find out you bought it in NH and the ATF climbs up the orifices of the shop owner. This is exactly why Shooter's ID's and only sells to MA residences if they actually have an FID/LTC.

Absolutely agreed.

Saying it "is law" makes them sound ignorant.

The problem is that low level clerks are told the policy, and then start making stuff up to fill in the blanks. This is similar to how various religions have come up with explanations for various things.

Very true.

How about a gun store clerk / firearms instructor who tells his student's that all Gen 3 and 4 Glocks are illegal to be possessed in MA unless you are a LEO. And if you ever shoot someone with a Gen 3 or 4 you will be brought up on felony charges for owning an illegal gun whether it is a justifiable shooting or not.

Friend went to a shop and asked the guy why the Remington Golden saber was $40 a box, clerk said "because the prices of that particular ammo have gone up"
I saw it online for $15.

I wanted an Eotech for one of my ARs and found one online for $375 or so at the time. I had purchased the AR from John at Chester Arms and called him to see if he could match the price and if so, I would give my business to him. He couldn't match and told me so.Compare

The thing is, I wasn't being a dick trying to drive his price down. I wanted to give him my money because I like the guy and want him to be successful.
A real problem for small dealers is that they often cannot get unregulated (non-FFL) items for much less than the individual consumer can.

I know, for example, that a small/medium gunshop cannot get reloading supplies for much less than the "unconnected" can on powdervalleyinc.com or wideners.com (although even today, the real competition is "who has the stuff" rather than "who has it cheapest", so shops can currently sell powder at a decent margin). Ditto for Leupold scopes. It's even true with guns, but the regulatory issues and transfer fees propping up shops. You don't get the "tip top secret prices ordinary people can't even see" unless you are very big or well established and in a closed buying group.

Now, try to get the current wholesale price list for a pair of Levis or a current year name brand bicycle. You're not getting near one of those lists unless you are in the trade.

Well on the flip side, I was buying a used S&W 39-2 at MFLR and a tiny older woman (prob mid-60s or so) was buying her first gun and she and I got to talking while we waited. She told me she lived alone and wanted something to protect herself.

The clerk recommended a Glock 20 and she bought it. Not exactly the gun I would recommend.

I'm not sure what the sadder part of this story is, the poor woman getting talked into buying too much gun, or you buying a S&W 39-2.

On the plus side, she will likely never fire that handgun. At least, I hope for the sake of her wrists that she never needs to.

On the plus side, she will likely never fire that handgun. At least, I hope for the sake of her wrists that she never needs to.

Unless she's shooting Underwood or Doubletap ammo she'll be fine, most of the 10mm ammo is no more potent than .40, plus that's a a huge gun.

How about a gun store clerk / firearms instructor who tells his student's that all Gen 3 and 4 Glocks are illegal to be possessed in MA unless you are a LEO. And if you ever shoot someone with a Gen 3 or 4 you will be brought up on felony charges for owning an illegal gun whether it is a justifiable shooting or not.
THat's what 75% of the FFL's in MA tell you. Why would they tell you that it is ok to go to the 25% that sell the guns they are afraid to?

Back
Top Bottom