Stupid things gun counter clerks say

Since I work at a gun counter, I could also add a segment called "dumb things customers say"...Some notable examples:

"Class A large capacity means I can have hi cap mags, can you get me some 30 round PMAGS?"
"Carrying with a round chambered is dangerous"
"I just got my LTC, show me some carry guns"
"Only Maine residents can carry concealed without a permit with that new law"
"I'd rather have X caliber because this caliber is for p*****s, I just got my LTC"
"I have a lifetime FID, I don't need to renew, look at the great gun I'm carrying now? (sweeps room)"
"You need an FID card for Mace. Me: That law actually changed and no permit is required. Customer to friend: This kid doesn't know what hes talking about"
"Revolvers can't fail"
"I've got some ammo I'm looking to sell"
"Four seasons is cheaper"

The guy at Dick's who told me that the .44 Magnum could only be used in a rifle is a good example.

oh sht. So now what am I going to do with that Blackhawk sitting in my gun safe? And after I put Hogue grips on it to help manage the kick too. Damn it! If I'd only known.

Since I work at a gun counter, I could also add a segment called "dumb things customers say"...Some notable examples:

"Class A large capacity means I can have hi cap mags, can you get me some 30 round PMAGS?"
"I'd rather have X caliber because this caliber is for p*****s, I just got my LTC"
"I have a lifetime FID, I don't need to renew, look at the great gun I'm carrying now? (sweeps room)"
"You need an FID card for Mace. Me: That law actually changed and no permit is required. Customer to friend: This kid doesn't know what hes talking about"
"Revolvers can't fail"

Here's the rub in the customer-salesperson relationship: customers are going to be dumb sometimes. They aren't peddling any wares, however. People who work at gun counters and gun stores and are in charge of selling items should be actually properly informed and know what they are talking about. But sure, nice deflection, you get a 2/10 for the attempt.

Yeah, but the way a TON of shops in MA pitch this is that they are illegal to own, either due to ignorance of the clerk or a desire to drive the consumer to buy stuff they have in stock in the store. Or even if they don't say it that way, when a clerk says "New glocks are illegal in MA" what do you think the typical joe bonehead customer is going to believe?

-Mike

I just checked that famous seasonal store's site that we all know [cough-cough] and IIRC they used to have a section on their site "Guns You Can't Have in MA", and they've corrected the section to now say that these are guns you can't purchase from a dealer in MA. At least there's that.

Not exactly. I can buy a handgun anywhere. I've even bought a handgun in Mass before. I can only take possession in my home state after a dealer transfer, but the actual purchase happens wherever the gun is.

So, you got technical on me. OK. let's get technical back. We're talking about transfer, not ownership anyways. Purchase was a poor word to use, and I should have known better. I've even done exactly this myself before, bought a handgun from an FFL in NY for the wife, had it shipped to VT to the shop to transfer it to her there. In other words, you can't legally walk into a gun shop outside your state, purchase a handgun and walk out with it.

So, answer this. If I go to a free state and "purchase" a handgun that's not legal in my state, can I have it shipped to my state and transferred to me there? And, yeah, I pretty much know the answer here, even though it doesn't apply to me (if it's legal in the US, then it's legal for me, as I live in a free state).

Anybody that knows much of anything in the gun business ought to know that you can buy from anywhere, and have it shipped to an FFL in your state, where you usually end up paying a transfer fee. Of course, you'll probably find it has to be legal in your state to get it transferred, and you might have to make prior arrangements with your local FFL.

Yeah, that one didn't make sense to me either.

I don't mind it, but when you hear it every day with regularity it gets bothersome. Clearly there is a reason you come back to my store: Customer service, we remember your name, what you bought, what you like, etc. Very few dealers can compete with four seasons because of the way the business model works in this industry with buying groups and such. So while I don't mind people spending their money anywhere, reminding me that you can buy it at X store cheaper, tongue in cheek, doesn't help either one of us.

I've been told "that's too heavy for a little thing like you to carry" and tries to talk me into a small gun with lots of recoil. So I took my business somewhere else. Lost a sale.

"Of course these AK mags are pre-ban, everything related to AKs is pre-ban. They are 70's weapons"
- Some moron selling new AK mags at a gun show in MA.

"We will have to charge you sales tax on a transfer or if you buy a gun out of state abd have it shipped to us"
- A gun store.

That's perfectly valid. .40 is for p*****s [smile]

Not so, I suggest reading the Fed law/regs again on selling to NRs. To paraphrase it: the sale of a long gun must be legal in the location the sale takes place in AND it must be legal for the buyer to possess it wherever s/he resides. So if the gun wouldn't be legal in MA (or Boston for those that live there), it would be a violation of his FFL to sell the gun to that person.

Crap. Does that mean that since I live in Boston that I can no longer buy toy guns out of state? What am I going to do when I want to play cowboys and Indians or Army with my nieces and nephews in St. Louis? [smile]

Walmart.. I know I know.. Walmart LOL but this was priceless.

Customer: Where are the BB Guns?
Wally Clerk: Do don't sell BB Guns and no Walmart in MA sells them.
Customer: Thank you

LMAO -- North Attleboro Wally World. I went there the other day and they have a PALLET of Red Ryder and bucks for sale. I guess times have change?

Went into Walmart (Rt 1 in Saugus) not too long ago. Went to the sporting goods section and asked the clerk where I could find rifle and pistol cases as I wasn't seeing them on a quick walkthrough.

"I'm sorry sir, we don't sell anything gun related in this store" says the clerk standing in front of an entire shelf full of pellet rifles. After a little more discussion, clerk tells me that they don't have an FFL so store policy is to not carry anything that even has "gun" in its name, not even cheap plastic boxes lined with foam.

That's perfectly valid. .40 is for p*****s [smile]

If you're a 45 ACP shooter, you might want to rethink that one, unless you said that in sarcasm. They're pretty close energy wise. The better defense loads for the 45 are usually 185 gr JHP. The good 40 load is 180 gr JHP. There seems to be more difference between 2 different models guns than there is between the ammo.

I plan on getting a 10mm before long, THEN I can tell the 45 shooters they're the wimps.

I loved the guy that called me a wimp because I don't shoot a 1911. I don't get along with the harmonics. As to the caliber and recoil? I shoot just fine with my old school 1917 Colt (same caliber, different ergonomics). He had a serious oops moment. I didn't have the heart to mention I shoot it with 185 gr and 230 gr loads, including military hardball.

So while I don't mind people spending their money anywhere, reminding me that you can buy it at X store cheaper, tongue in cheek, doesn't help either one of us.

When a customer tells me they can buy it cheaper at insert store (usually Walmart), I answer with "then that's the place to buy it" and end the discussion. Now, I only use this on the arrogant cases that we know want me to pay them for buying the ammo from me. Trying to talk me down with their story.

It usually ends the discussion, the cheap bozos go elsewhere. I end up refusing to sell to them anyways. They make poor customers as they expect me to sell to them at a loss, every time.

Now, sometimes they aren't being obnoxious, I get that, and those folks we work with, they're usually OK customers.

And, yeah, we've kept our prices competitive, even with Walmart. It isn't like the prices were that high to start with (though some of our calibers cost me through the roof for materials, so they just flat out cost major $).

Went into Walmart (Rt 1 in Saugus) not too long ago. Went to the sporting goods section and asked the clerk where I could find rifle and pistol cases as I wasn't seeing them on a quick walkthrough.

"I'm sorry sir, we don't sell anything gun related in this store" says the clerk standing in front of an entire shelf full of pellet rifles. After a little more discussion, clerk tells me that they don't have an FFL so store policy is to not carry anything that even has "gun" in its name, not even cheap plastic boxes lined with foam.

Go to Danvers.

Just had a few thoughts about 40 S&W.

I got a Glock 22 a little old lady had, bought it while in her 80's. I got it after she died. I called her Mom (she was my step-mother).

I've got a different 40 now, a Beretta 96. One the girls that shoots it? My 4 year old great-granddaughter.

I've called the Glock 22 a "little old lady gun" for a few years now.

But, I still laugh at the 45 guys that think they're so superior. I used to have a 45, a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt, hand loaded for it. Think like (almost) 454 Casull, which came about later, in factory loads.

Fotay is teh bestest. It's better than any 12ga load. It's more accurate at longer ranges than .308. It's easier to shoot than .22LR. No other caliber is worth considering.

Just had a few thoughts about 40 S&W.

I got a Glock 22 a little old lady had, bought it while in her 80's. I got it after she died. I called her Mom (she was my step-mother).

I've got a different 40 now, a Beretta 96. One the girls that shoots it? My 4 year old great-granddaughter.

I've called the Glock 22 a "little old lady gun" for a few years now.

But, I still laugh at the 45 guys that think they're so superior. I used to have a 45, a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt, hand loaded for it. Think like (almost) 454 Casull, which came about later, in factory loads.

I only rely on my 7.62.38, jk unless they make a 12 guage derringer I'll carry a 40, 45,9, or a 380 or what ever I get my paws on.

It usually ends the discussion, the cheap bozos go elsewhere. I end up refusing to sell to them anyways. They make poor customers as they expect me to sell to them at a loss, every time.
When a customer tells you he can buy the gun/ammo cheaper elsewhere, he is either bluffing (the old "it's cheaper at the store that is always out of stock") or giving you a chance to be competitive.

It is not the buyers business if you are selling at a profit or a loss. It is the buyers business to seek out the vendor offering the best deal, and offering to negotiate where possible. It is not the customer's responsibility to accept a "profitable" price if others are offering better prices.

I remember a gunshop explaining how buyers shouldn't shop for the cheapest price. I asked what he did when dealing with distributors to buy inventory and was told "that's different" (presumably because it was his money).

I've done this with Lowes - told the manager "No, I do not have an ad from Sears. I've offering you $20 less than asking for that vaccuum to save myself a trip to Sears but, if you aren't interested in selling at that price, I'll make the trip to save $20." He adjusted the price, I saved $20, he made a sale.

Last edited:

"Revolvers can't fail"

Why is it dumb for a customer to ask you to show them carry guns? Not everyone asks NES for advice on everything from carry guns to bowel movements.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, that's a different ammo...it's uh...44...pistol?

44 sp. that means short pistol [wink]

- - - Updated - - -

I don't mind it, but when you hear it every day with regularity it gets bothersome. Clearly there is a reason you come back to my store: Customer service, we remember your name, what you bought, what you like, etc. Very few dealers can compete with four seasons because of the way the business model works in this industry with buying groups and such. So while I don't mind people spending their money anywhere, reminding me that you can buy it at X store cheaper, tongue in cheek, doesn't help either one of us.

so, you meant it's annoying more than dumb, i get that.

Regarding showing ID at Shooter's (or elsewhere in a free state), don't they need to check for residency? Is it legal for them to sell ammo to someone from MA who doesn't have an LTC?

Yes it is legal. So long as that person keeps the ammo in NH. So there's the rub. You buy ammo in NH, drive to MA and shoot someone. Then the cops find out you bought it in NH and the ATF climbs up the orifices of the shop owner. This is exactly why Shooter's ID's and only sells to MA residences if they actually have an FID/LTC.

What about buying a long gun?

Federally, yes, same thing. State laws may vary, but they are still only applicable in that state. Much as politicians in MA, NY and NJ wish it was otherwise, their laws do not apply in NH, VT and PA.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58686/download

NO. The purchaser must be legal to own/possess a long gun in their home state. If the long gun is illegal in MA you cannot go to NH and buy it.

Hmm... handguns then? Federally an out of stater has to go through an FFL but what if there is no license required in the state of purchase? E.g. if I'm buying a handgun in VT - state law requires no license but would the dealer have to check my residency to make sure they're not violating federal law?

Yes. You must be legal to possess the gun in your state of residence and you must take possession of it in your state of residence (i.e. it must be mailed from FFL to FFL in your state)

Back
Top Bottom