• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Striker vs. Hammer

Knob Creek

NES Member
Is there anyone else out there who just can't get use to striker guns? I've tried Glocks, Walthers, M&P's. I just keep coming back to Sig's and Berettas and 1911's.

Is there anyone else out there who just can't get use to striker guns? I've tried Glocks, Walthers, M&P's. I just keep coming back to Sig's and Berettas and 1911's.

No strikers for me, I like being able to see a hammer and know what the story is right away.

I'm with you.

I find the striker adds an annoying draw to the trigger pull. I got an M&P 9, an I feel like I will never enjoy shooting it as much as the 1911 or 92FS.

Doesn't make any difference to me. As far as I am concerned, worrying about this is like trying to count angels dancing on the head of a pin.

A lot of striker fired pistols have triggers that leave a lot to be desired. Some, like the Glock, have a wealth of after market parts to solve this problem. Others, like the M&P, respond very well to the attentions of a qualified gunsmith.

I would say that between my glock and walther the glock is slightly more pleasurable to shoot. There is something about the trigger on the walther that makes me not want to shoot it much but the ergonomics and size of the walther are great. I do like the fact that the walther is a da/sa striker fired gun as opposed to the typical sa.

I use both and like both just fine. I carry a sig 239 and an M&P9c. I think the M&P (after a trigger job) is a bit more consistent then the double action 239, and a thumb safty for a 1911 would piss me off, but I enjoy both

Makes no difference to me, really. If it makes the gun fire that's all that matters. [laugh]

Then again I'm a bad person to ask, because I generally don't harbor dislike for very many guns to begin
with.

-Mike

I can thread a needle all day with my 239 after the first shot or with the hammer cocked out of the gate. I have no clue why some prefer DAO. I spoke to one cop and he said he hated Sigs and he shot them like hell. I have no clue where he's coming from. The SA pull on my 239 is a hair trigger out of the box. I believe this is the same reason a lot of guys like the 229s.

I can thread a needle all day with my 239 after the first shot or with the hammer cocked out of the gate. I have no clue why some prefer DAO. I spoke to one cop and he said he hated Sigs and he shot them like hell. I have no clue where he's coming from. The SA pull on my 239 is a hair trigger out of the box. I believe this is the same reason a lot of guys like the 229s.

The trigger pull on sigs varies widely depending on when the gun was made, etc.

The P228s I have probably have sub 4 pound SA triggers easy; they're great
shooters... the DA is very smooth on them, as well.

The newer guns the sear tends to break a bit heavier in SA, but it all depends... some guns are a lot better than others. I futzed around with a P220 ST once where the SA trigger was absolutely terrible, it crept a little and probably broke above 5 pounds.

-Mike

I prefer hammer guns. The triggers seem to always be smoother on a hammer gun and I like to see where the hammer is (cocked or not).

That said, I own two striker fired guns, a Kahr PM9 and a G19c. I mostly like the Kahr for the fact that it's as good as it is considering the size. I haven't even fired the Glock yet so the jury is still out though I do like it. The Glock would get punted a long time before my P229 though.

I mostly have hammer guns but my Kahr K40 I got a while back has really grown on me. Much smoother trigger pull than any Glock I've ever shot.

I like either striker fired or single action only (1911s). I could never get used to the long first pull on DA/SA pistols. For example, I loved my old 92FS at the range, but I never liked the idea of drawing it in real life and having to deal with that first heavy pull.

I like either striker fired or single action only (1911s). I could never get used to the long first pull on DA/SA pistols. For example, I loved my old 92FS at the range, but I never liked the idea of drawing it in real life and having to deal with that first heavy pull.

FWIW a lot of DA autos have way overpowered mainsprings. They were spec'ed out with the intent that the owner would likely never replace them, and basically will still make the gun fire even when really worn
out. A trip to Wolff spring land will often yield nice results. The 92FS has an especially overpowered
mainspring.

-Mike

FWIW a lot of DA autos have way overpowered mainsprings. They were spec'ed out with the intent that the owner would likely never replace them, and basically will still make the gun fire even when really worn
out. A trip to Wolff spring land will often yield nice results. The 92FS has an especially overpowered
mainspring.

-Mike

Interesting, thanks Mike

mainspring.

-Mike

Just picked up a 92FS and that DA pull is definitely long and heavy... how hard is it to replace the mainspring and is it something you can do yourself? Not very familiar with the gun yet...

Just picked up a 92FS and that DA pull is definitely long and heavy... how hard is it to replace the mainspring and is it something you can do yourself? Not very familiar with the gun yet...

The 92's mainspring is easy.

-Obtain mainspring.

-Make sure gun is unloaded. Decock hammer so it is down.

-Take off the side grip panels

-You will note there is a pin near the bottom of the frame where the lanyard loop thing is. Get a pin punch the size of this pin, or at least small enough to fit through the hole. Use your thumb to put pressure on the lanyard loop thing, and push out the pin with the punch. When you get this pin out, slowly unload the lanyard plug thing with your thumb/fingers. A spring will fall out of here. This is the mainspring. Put the new one in, and reinstall the lanyard plug thing, push down, reinsert the pin, and push it back in all the way so it is flush on both sides. Reinstall grip panels. Rack the gun and test trigger pull, etc.

Bring it to the range and test fire it.

If you do some googling, you'll probably find a video or pics... it's really
easy overall.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom