• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Precision Match AR Triggers: Geissele vs. Trigger Tech and Curved vs. Flat?

Mountain

NES Member
I lean to the Geissele SSA-E camp and curved trigger, but am open to something different if 'better'. I know there are some Trigger Tech fans. Diamond or Diamond Pro? This will be for a long range precision AR thus I'll want a lower pull weight than the typical 4.5 lbs service rifle pull. Most likely this means an adjustable version.

Also any advantages to a flat trigger vs. the traditional curved? All my match triggers are curved but again- open to something different.

I'll be honest- I am skeptical of the Trigger Tech drop in design and also have heard some negs about that design gumming up after a few hundred rounds.

Feedback appreciated. [cheers]

I'm partial to the Geissele SSA-E also for precision AR. I have a Larue flat bow, which is nice, but still like the SSA-E better. They say the flat trigger has a "perceived" lighter pull, but I don't feel it.

I love my timney 4lb single stage. I’d honestly standardize on them.

I’ve tried a cmc. Rock river arms, alg. Mil spec, a Rise.

But I think I’ll stick with timney.

I cannot comment on the Geissele

And I’m perfectly fine with a curved trigger. But I do like the look of a straight one. Might be personal preference

Having tried Quite a few different AR triggers, hands down my favorite are Jewel triggers. The ones I have break in the ounces, not pounds. I’ve heard there was a problem with some of them at one time and they aren’t made any more. However they are the best AR triggers I’ve used and am always on the lookout for them on GB and EBay As for curved or flat, mine are all curved.

Dave

I run flat rise armament and velocity triggers in my ARs. They’re 3-3.5# and aren’t super expensive.

Having tried Quite a few different AR triggers, hands down my favorite are Jewel triggers. The ones I have break in the ounces, not pounds. I’ve heard there was a problem with some of them at one time and they aren’t made any more. However they are the best AR triggers I’ve used and am always on the lookout for them on GB and EBay As for curved or flat, mine are all curved.

Dave
Any reliability issues with the Jewells? I remember they were considered an outstanding trigger but also read the negs, which I think were primarily about their bolt gun triggers.

Have a Triggertech diamond. I think the trigger is great for just precision shooting because to me, the reset feels "meh".

If you'd like to borrow it awhile, I could mail you it or you can pick it up around Quincy/Braintree, MA.

Have Larue, Timmy, Geissele, LMT, and Triggertech in ARs, and several including Jewells in bolt guns. Nothing breaks like a Jewell, but it is a precision trigger and I've even had one gum up on a bolt gun when a few flakes of powder got into the action. For the ARs, my favorite is the Triggertech diamond. It actually makes the trigger break "feel" the same as that on a precision bolt gun. Never had any issue with its function, even in really dirty conditions. It doesn't have the frankly positive reset "click" and feel of classic AR triggers like the Geissele/LMT/Larue or stock triggers. That's a preference thing and as you can essentially adjust these so that you have no overtravel, and light trigger break (and they have essentially no creep), you can tune them to your preference. Again, this is for precision shooting where I want my AR to feel like a bolt gun...

I picked up the Geissele last month during a sale. I like the curved design as it's almost identical to the mil spec trigger profile. Different techniques with different trigger blades would mess up my simple mind. The Geissele has such a nice second stage that I'll have no excuses. Now to stock up on ammo and practice, practice, practice.

I am skeptical of the Trigger Tech drop in design
dunno why you would say that. i have now only triggertechs and larues on my gas guns.
as of flat ones or curved - i prefer flat.

triggertech runs a sale annually with their 4th of july independence day model - usually around $150 or less. they use to repackage adaptable model that adjusts, of put a fixed 3.5lb model into those sales. the adaptable - 2.5-5.0 lbs trigger is great for ARs.

as of fixed 3.5lb - meh. larue was and still selling its for $89 - it is a way better deal for a fixed pull good trigger.

dunno why you would say that. i have now only triggertechs and larues on my gas guns.
as of flat ones or curved - i prefer flat.

triggertech runs a sale annually with their 4th of july independence day model - usually around $150 or less. they use to repackage adaptable model that adjusts, of put a fixed 3.5lb model into those sales. the adaptable - 2.5-5.0 lbs trigger is great for ARs.

as of fixed 3.5lb - meh. larue was and still selling its for $89 - it is a way better deal for a fixed pull good trigger.
I don't mean to pick on Triggertech specifically, just the drop in design in general. Seem like it could entrap dirt and debris vs the standard triggers that are not enclosed.

Appreciate the heads up on the sale. I may steal a Geissele SSA-E out of one of my other AR's then give a Triggertech a try once a good deal pops up.

In my opinion flat triggers are another gimmick we kind of fell for and will be going back to curved triggers soon enough. They can have great pulls and break clean as glass, but what is nice about them is less that they're flat and more that the springs and tolerances are just right. I've shot great flat triggers and the only thing that could have made them better were if they were curved.

I lean to the Geissele SSA-E camp and curved trigger, but am open to something different if 'better'. I know there are some Trigger Tech fans. Diamond or Diamond Pro? This will be for a long range precision AR thus I'll want a lower pull weight than the typical 4.5 lbs service rifle pull. Most likely this means an adjustable version.

Also any advantages to a flat trigger vs. the traditional curved? All my match triggers are curved but again- open to something different.

I'll be honest- I am skeptical of the Trigger Tech drop in design and also have heard some negs about that design gumming up after a few hundred rounds.

Feedback appreciated. [cheers]
I sold off that flat light AR trigger I picked up years ago.
It was flat. I have a flat trigger on a 1911.
I do like a flat trigger so far , the AR trigger I had was flat, single stage and light. I just could not get used to it.
So used to 2 stage service rifle triggers.

I don't think flat AR triggers are a gimmick, but they are definitely a preference. I do prefer the feel of a flat trigger but I'll admit I don't notice a performance difference one way or the other.

I'm a huge fan of Geissele AR triggers personally.

I have the SSA-E in my service rifle and just swapped out to a 4.5# spring to remain legal. Could not be more happy with the very smooth ans crisp feel. Just keep them clean and greased . I tried a flat blade trigger and just did not feel "right" against my finger. Hard to change with a ergo configuration you have been using for the past 30 years .

I have the SSA-E in my service rifle and just swapped out to a 4.5# spring to remain legal. Could not be more happy with the very smooth ans crisp feel. Just keep them clean and greased . I tried a flat blade trigger and just did not feel "right" against my finger. Hard to change with a ergo configuration you have been using for the past 30 years .
What springs did you use?

I have 3 curved Geissele triggers in various builds and am happy. I’d like to try others, but I‘m pleased with what I have so far.

Back
Top Bottom