• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

G43x vs G43 w/ extended mag

headednorth

NES Member
What has a longer grip length? If the plan is to carry concealed and the shortest over-all grip length (including mag) is the goal, is a 43 with an aftermarket 10 round mag just as long as a 43X with the standard mag?

There is a 43 with extended shield mags in the classifieds that looks about the same length as my 43X. If I were you, I would go with the 43X.

I have both, 43 and 43X and I far prefer the 43X. It's a much better fit in my hand because the grip's not as narrow as the 43.

I added Shield Arms magazine and magazine release to give me 15+1, plus a Talon Wrap. It's my concealed carry firearm.

I have 10 round mags for the 43, I don't care for them that much; I prefer the Pierce+2 mag base.

the 43X is just a C hair fatter, and is 3/4 of an inch taller with almost all of that in the grip

Why are you going to go into aftermarket mags to get the 10+1 capability of a 43X in a 43?

The 43X is an excellent gun IMHO

43X = 43 slide on a 48 frame

G48? nice gun but IMHO the 43X is better for EDC

G43 .... all the grip size issues of a G26 in a smaller package plus 6+1 capacity

Last edited:
the 43X is just a C hair fatter, and is 3/4 of an inch taller with almost all of that in the grip

Why are you going to go into aftermarket mags to get the 10+1 capability of a 43X in a 43?

The 43X is an excellent gun IMHO

43X = 43 slide on a 48 frame

G48? nice gun but IMHO the 43X is better for EDC

G43 .... all the grip size issues of a G26 in a smaller package plus 6+1 capacity
Im in MA. I currently cc a 6+1 in work and am looking to max out capacity without bumping up to a G19, which is what I carry outside of work. Looking for the shortest grip I can get while still at a 10 round capacity. (actually realized the SA mags are 9 rounds not 10, but 9+1 beats what I have now.)

Not looking to re-invent the wheel, was just curious if the 43 grip with a 9 round mag was shorter than a 43X. If they are pretty much the same, or if the 43 with a 9 round mag is a tad longer, then yeah Id just go with the 43X. If the 43 with a 9rd mag ended up a little shorter than Id go with that.

Not concerned with length and I know the difference in width is negligible, its the grip length Im curious about.

Im in MA. I currently cc a 6+1 in work and am looking to max out capacity without bumping up to a G19, which is what I carry outside of work. Looking for the shortest grip I can get while still at a 10 round capacity. (actually realized the SA mags are 9 rounds not 10, but 9+1 beats what I have now.)

Not looking to re-invent the wheel, was just curious if the 43 grip with a 9 round mag was shorter than a 43X. If they are pretty much the same, or if the 43 with a 9 round mag is a tad longer, then yeah Id just go with the 43X. If the 43 with a 9rd mag ended up a little shorter than Id go with that.

Not concerned with length and I know the difference in width is negligible, its the grip length Im curious about.
It might be a tad shorter, but it’s kinda negligible imo. I’d rather have the one piece grip w/oem mags and not rely on the extension of an aftermarket mag for carrying.

G45.

We have a 43. It's not a great gun. It's a great small object that fits in a pocket. That's the only thing It's good at.
Im not a yuge fan of tiny guns tbh but if I print Im fired. My current is a PM9 which I hate even aside from the 6+1 cap. The G45 grip is a mile long and I think Id have a hard time concealing in a semi office environment, so Im kinda searching for a better, while still small, alternative.

Think Im leaning towards the P365. Not much bigger than the PM9 with 10+1.

G26 is the answer.
I had a G26. I disagree entirely. The grip is compromised from being too short and it is quite fat, making it hard to conceal. I find my 43x is much easier to conceal and also easier to shoot.

If you are looking for a pocket gun, the 43x is too big for my pockets.

I had a G26. I disagree entirely. The grip is compromised from being too short and it is quite fat, making it hard to conceal. I find my 43x is much easier to conceal and also easier to shoot.

Yeah likely pocket carry, as Ive been doing that deep cover for years and Im comfortable enough in work where I dont think about it regardless of circumstances. I want to make appendix carry work but I think Im doing it wrong. (G19, not PM9 Always stabbing me, hard to sit, etc) Thinking the 365 may work appendix and should work pocket carry. Small enough and gives me 10+1.

To be fair, I have an extremely strange body type, so grip length makes far more of an impact to concealability for me than overall thickness. AIWB isn't an option (old injury that makes it extremely uncomfortable no matter what).

The G26 only has one thing going for it, that being it takes G17, G18 and G19 magazines

If you are in a free state the +2 base plates help with the grip and the ability to use a G17 Mag with a +2 extension as a backup mag is nice, but other than that? Same for the G19 mags. The factory 33 round mags fit in the gun, but are not reliable IMHO as they rock too much due to the unsupported length. Even at the range the G18 mags in the G26 are not very fun to use. Once you have to reload one and see the $20 dollar bills worth of ammo go pew pew pew you'll understand, and yes they SUCK to reload.

The 43X runs circles around the G26 all day long IMHO

If you are in a free state, swap out the mag release for an aftermarket metal one and use the Shield 15 round magazines which are very reliable from all accounts, and the 43X kills the G26

A whole bunch of G26's became safe queens when the 43X came out, and the Sig P356 line too.

It was a good gun in its day because it was the only small 9mm polymer pistol that was affordable and reliable, but it was still a effn brick with a horrid grip length.

Now the kicker to this is I am not a fan of the G48, dollars to donuts I'd rather have the Glock 19

YMMV

Yeah likely pocket carry, as Ive been doing that deep cover for years and Im comfortable enough in work where I dont think about it regardless of circumstances. I want to make appendix carry work but I think Im doing it wrong. (G19, not PM9 Always stabbing me, hard to sit, etc) Thinking the 365 may work appendix and should work pocket carry. Small enough and gives me 10+1.
You might try the Phlster.

A 42 might be a better option with how tiny it is. Would fit in most prison pockets.

Im not a yuge fan of tiny guns tbh but if I print Im fired. My current is a PM9 which I hate even aside from the 6+1 cap. The G45 grip is a mile long and I think Id have a hard time concealing in a semi office environment, so Im kinda searching for a better, while still small, alternative.

Think Im leaning towards the P365. Not much bigger than the PM9 with 10+1.
I have the P9. I also really hate it. The trigger is smooth, but no distinct break or reset. Makes it very odd to shoot. In some ways, it actually forces good fundamentals by not giving you a break you can predict, so no pre-flinch. But on the other end, because you can't tell where the break or reset is (and the reset is nearly off the trigger), it throws off cadence. At least for me. That, and it's like 15 ounces. Snappy little gun that just isn't fun to shoot. A shame too because I do appreciate the simplicity of the design.

For OP's decision, I'd lean towards G43X. However, I can still understand that the G43X is substantially taller, so if size really is the key factor, I'd then agree with you on the OG P365.

The G26 only has one thing going for it, that being it takes G17, G18 and G19 magazines

If you are in a free state the +2 base plates help with the grip and the ability to use a G17 Mag with a +2 extension as a backup mag is nice, but other than that? Same for the G19 mags. The factory 33 round mags fit in the gun, but are not reliable IMHO as they rock too much due to the unsupported length. Even at the range the G18 mags in the G26 are not very fun to use. Once you have to reload one and see the $20 dollar bills worth of ammo go pew pew pew you'll understand, and yes they SUCK to reload.

The 43X runs circles around the G26 all day long IMHO

If you are in a free state, swap out the mag release for an aftermarket metal one and use the Shield 15 round magazines which are very reliable from all accounts, and the 43X kills the G26

A whole bunch of G26's became safe queens when the 43X came out, and the Sig P356 line too.

It was a good gun in its day because it was the only small 9mm polymer pistol that was affordable and reliable, but it was still a effn brick with a horrid grip length.

Now the kicker to this is I am not a fan of the G48, dollars to donuts I'd rather have the Glock 19

YMMV
And yet, there's hundreds and hundreds of accounts from people saying they shoot the 26 better than the 43x due to the weight. Grip length is also the biggest factor in concealability, and the 26 wins there, too. Unless I AIWB a 43x, it prints like crazy, just as much as my 19, and at that point, I'd carry my 19.

Back
Top Bottom