• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing Weapon In Vehicle

The consensus is that if it's not on your person, it's possibly a problem.

And, when you get out of the car, if it's in the highway holster, you have to either transfer it to your person, or secure it for storage, per MGLs.

If you don't see any problems, go for it. Let us know of any developments.

The consensus is that if it's not on your person, it's possibly a problem.

And, when you get out of the car, if it's in the highway holster, you have to either transfer it to your person, or secure it for storage, per MGLs.

If you don't see any problems, go for it. Let us know of any developments.

oh ya definitely would be just putting it right on me when leaving the car. It looks like a pretty decent setup. I'll keep an update. Thanks!

Greetings...I'm new to these forums, returning to shooting and carrying after doing little of either for about 20 years. I have a question about what defines a firearm for storage purposes. More specifically, one of the guns I used to carry often when wearing shorts and a T-shirt is a Beretta .25 950B, also known as a Jetfire, I believe. This gun has a tip-up barrel that allows the slide assembly to be quickly and easily removed and replaced. The assembly also contains the firing pin, but not the barrel.

If I remove this assembly and take it with me, is the remaining frame assembly considered a firearm? Neither of the two assemblies, independently, is capable of firing a projectile.

Last edited:
Greetings...I'm new to these forums, returning to shooting and carrying after doing little of either for about 20 years. I have a question about what defines a firearm for storage purposes. More specifically, one of the guns I used to carry often when wearing shorts and a T-shirt is a Beretta .25 950B, also known as a Jetfire, I believe. This gun has a tip-up barrel that allows the slide assembly to be quickly and easily removed and replaced. The assembly also contains the firing pin, but not the barrel.

If I remove this assembly and take it with me, is the remaining frame assembly considered a firearm? Neither of the two assemblies, independently, is capable of firing a projectile.

Don't think this would fly wrt storage. Just unload and put a trigger lock or cable lock on it and you are done for storage.

More specifically, one of the guns I used to carry often when wearing shorts and a T-shirt is a Beretta .25 950B, also known as a Jetfire, I believe.

If you really like that gun, you might consider the Bobcat (Beretta 21A) in .22 LR. The rimfire has up to three times the energy of the .25, along with better penetration.

This is one of the few things improved in with the 1998 law.

Prior to 1998, leaving a handgun unattended in a motor vehicle was universally accepted by the courts as "carrying not under your direct control" (yeah, right - carrying when you aren't even there), and carried a $100 fine and one year loss of LTC (minimum, suitability still applied afterwards).

Post 1998 there is the requirement a gun left in a motor vehicle be unloaded, plus the "safe storage" requirement, but at least you are not confronted with an unworkable conundrum when parking the car while armed and having to enter a free-massacre (er, gun-free) zone.

This is one of the few things improved in with the 1998 law.

Prior to 1998, leaving a handgun unattended in a motor vehicle was universally accepted by the courts as "carrying not under your direct control" (yeah, right - carrying when you aren't even there), and carried a $100 fine and one year loss of LTC (minimum, suitability still applied afterwards).

Post 1998 there is the requirement a gun left in a motor vehicle be unloaded, plus the "safe storage" requirement, but at least you are not confronted with an unworkable conundrum when parking the car while armed and having to enter a free-massacre (er, gun-free) zone.

What? Where is the unloaded part stipulated?

"If you really like that gun, you might consider the Bobcat (Beretta 21A) in .22 LR. The rimfire has up to three times the energy of the .25, along with better penetration."

I actually used to own a .22 version of the Jetfire called the Minx. It looked and worked exactly like the Jetfire. I made the mistake of selling it along with some other guns when I sort of lost interest over 20 years ago. Now my interest has been renewed because I have more free time and because my son is in the process of getting his LTC and asked me to take him shooting. Luckily I kept some of my lesser-used guns from long ago. In fact, I just fired my Beretta 84 and 85 .380’s a couple weeks ago, along with a Colt Lawman MK3 .357 2”. These had only been fired 2 or 3 times each, way back when. I also got reacquainted with my first carry gun, a Colt Detective Special .38 made in 1949. I forgot how much fun shooting could be. My son and I had a blast! I’m definitely back in the shooting fold.

Last edited:
Stack on cable lock under the seat. And take a razor blade and remove your Glock, ruger, browning, ect subwoofer or other expensive easy to steal item stickers of the rear windshield.

Am I missing something here? A frame is not considered a firearm by MA law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would depend on where the parts are. [rolleyes]

A naked frame, with no parts, is not a "Firearm" per MGLs.

A mostly-complete gun with a missing component would likely be a firearm, as there is case law where the necessity of a minor repair or adjustment does not make the gun "not a gun". Where's the cutoff? Who the hell knows? [rolleyes]

Stupid? Yes. The Law? Probably.

When you add the storage/transport/carry mix in the stew, it's....complicated.

Len's opinion is not law, it's just his opinion, but it's more informed than a lot of others.

It would depend on where the parts are. [rolleyes]

A naked frame, with no parts, is not a "Firearm" per MGLs.

A mostly-complete gun with a missing component would likely be a firearm, as there is case law where the necessity of a minor repair or adjustment does not make the gun "not a gun". Where's the cutoff? Who the hell knows? [rolleyes]

Stupid? Yes. The Law? Probably.

When you add the storage/transport/carry mix in the stew, it's....complicated.

Len's opinion is not law, it's just his opinion, but it's more informed than a lot of others.

It is my understanding that the SP lab has to validate that the firearm is capable of firing a round to deem it a "firearm" in court.

Is this not the case?

Back
Top Bottom