• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing Weapon In Vehicle

What is your purpose ? To be legal, or to be sure that nobody can get to l it.
Of course, both, is the best answer but we can't have it all.
I prefer to have a good alarm system for the entire car, and then a reasonable safe, so that someone can not just break the window and grab it.
If you have a lockable trunk, that is always a much safer option.
However, your options are somewhat limited. Because once your vehicle is gone, all bets are off.

Perhaps something like Hornady: http://www.basspro.com/Hornady-Armlock-Handgun-Safe/product/1402061011/ You can slide the bracket off when the safe is opened and then attach the unit to the support columns if there is room under the seat. The steel on the bracket is quite thick. You wouldn't be able to cut through it easily. Someone (without a key) would have to remove the seat to get the safe.

Zero accessibility with these options. Try a biometric and a cable. On floor behind passenger seat. There are youtube videos if you look.

Skulen iz besd lefd tu teechuz.

Last edited:
I take mine into work with me and lock it in a file cabinet that only I have the key to.

I also have that stackon lock box in my trunk with the cable wrapped around the trunk hinge for when I go to to the post office.

Those are nice but I'd be wary of the cable being secure. I've seen steel cable easily cut through with a fence tool (shearing cut). Good enough for simple deterrence, I suppose.

I own a car with a center console that has a pull-back/roll-back top (not a lift). I keep my sw442 (that's normally in my pocket) in the console, perfectly positioned atop a little home made "holster" setup I created (utilizing a DeSantis pocket holster, modified).... The console is halfway rolled back, giving me access to the gun. My vehicle and interior are black, window are (factory) tinted. the 442 is extremely easy to hide/camouflage, especially with an old black Tshirt cradling it, around it etc. It would take one hell of a detective with Eagle eye /infrared vision to "notice" it.. I've practiced quick drawing/aiming etc and feel pretty confident against the quick-carjack invasion thing.

Also felt good having my right hand on it and left on steering wheel as I crawled through the unexpected traffic in the South End of Boston one night, coming back from a union meeting in Dorchester, during one of the post-Ferguson "hands up don't shoot" protests, with scum thug punks - oops, sorry, how stereotypical of me - "misunderstood, disadvantaged yutes" - walking menacingly and riding bikes slowly around my car glaring at me as though I was wearing a badge or a white hood and sheet...
Also have my G26 on my left ankle in a Galco glove holster, and yes, it has one in the chamber ready to go...

Anti's say "paranoid?"... I'd reply "Malden, Route 99 near Town Line Lounge area (where I used to live)... Paroled (shocking, eh?) dirtball robs a bank, terrorizes nearby apartment complex, then jumps into first car he comes to, stopped in the commotion (I think it was a mother and her baby in a car seat, but don't remember for sure)...
But that stuff "never happens to me" here in the ultra-secure Peoples Republik of MA.

If it ever did (God forbid), at least I won't be fumbling through my seat belt trying to get at my pocketed CCW.

Good luck, OP. Plenty of great advice here on NES as always.

Last edited:
I'll explore the options mentioned...thank you guys for all your help.

As previously mentioned, great advice as always.

Trigger cable lock throu the gun and to the metal seat frame.

May meet the letter of the law, but I'd put a 99.9% bet that if a LEO ever caught wind of that you'd be facing a judge. They readily flip "transportation" (where trigger locks don't cut it) with "storage" (where trigger locks are OK) to meet their desires and since a car has wheels on it, it's easy to convince a judge whichever way benefits the DA/police and hurts the citizen.

I bought the Stack On lock box at Tractor Supply. My only complaint is with the keys. The end that goes on your key ring is just plastic. Mine broke off my keyring, and I almost lost it.

Why ?

Dont mean to get you ma$$holes bent at me but since my ARpistol is on my permit I store it in the truck under the seat fully loaded.

When I renew my permit I plan to put my Fal pistol on my permit and store it there...

The fal pistol looks alot like a HK51 without the stock
I built it myself so it only has a engraved serial # done with the cnc.

Not legal.

If the firearm is in a locked container and secured under your seat, and you are the only person who has access to it. This appears to be legal.

From GOAL's website
http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/storageinfo.html

TRANSPORTING IN A VEHICLE:
The law specifies how certain types of guns are to be transported.

• Handguns under a Class A License: “No person carrying a loaded firearm (i.e. handgun) under a Class A license to carry firearms… shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person.” (Chapter 140, section 131C)
  • Handguns on a Class B License: “No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license to carry firearms shall possess the same unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.” (Chapter 140, section 131C)
  • Large Capacity rifles and shotguns: “No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B License… shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded, and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.” (Chapter 140, section 131C)
  • Rifles and Shotguns: “No person .. shall have in his possession or under his control in or on any vehicle or aircraft a loaded shotgun or rifle.. Chapter 131, section 63

Ok #1 whats a class A license ?

assuming someone has such a license and when he / she leaves the car / truck and locks it its still under his / her control is it not ?

This is the same thing that I would be dealing with as long as no one else is in the truck and the pistol is concealed its all good.

I actvitate my remote alarm lock chirp chirp and the truck locks and alarm is set.

Legal from my perspective...

Handguns under a Class A License: “No person carrying a loaded firearm (i.e. handgun) under a Class A license to carry firearms… shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person.” (Chapter 140, section 131C)

Last edited:
Sam:

Not sure where you're located, but:

A Class A allows on-person carry of a pistol. If it is not under your direct control, it must be unloaded and locked in a container. A locked vehicle is not acceptable (if the gun is in the glove box, or under the seat, for instance).

If you leave the vehicle with the gun in it it's either Transporting (must be in a locked container), or Storage (must be in a locked container, or other type of lock (e.g. trigger or cable) - whether Transporting or Storage, is up for some debate [rolleyes] - best bet is go with the strictest interpretation.

Long guns are a different game, depending on what type.

Note to locals: this is simplified for a non-local

Back
Top Bottom