• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stop & Shop

NES Member
I couldn't help but to notice last night when I was at Stop and Shop in Bellingham I could not find the magazine Gun's and Ammo . Maybe it was there but I checked really hard. Then I looked for Outdoor Living again I saw nothing. In fact I could not find any outdoor sports magazines. There was no fishing, hunting or even boating. I noticed there are lots of other magazines though. Just to name a few Newsweek, Sports Illustrated, Maxim, Opera, Discovery you get the point.

So then I said "well maybe it's because in our society most women do the shopping so they have more magazines that would appeal to the average house wife such as Home Cooking, Cosmopolitan, Home living ." Well I answered myself back and said, "I don't think the average house wife reads Maxim, Hot Rod, Popular Science and they have them.

Like I said Maybe I failed to see outdoor sportsman magazines but I was curious if anyone else noticed this. I have not checked other Stop & Shop's but since they are a large chain I was assume all of the stores carry most if not all of the same products.

So now I ask you the people these questions,

1. Has any body noticed this at their local Stop & Shop or similar store?

2. Is Stop & Shop a liberal Store?

3. Am I over reacting?

1. I haven't noticed, but then I never look at the magazine section.

2. I'm not sure, the Stop & Shop in Charlton is the nicest gerocery store that I've been to in this state.

3. I don't think so, but I also notice things like this as well. [wink]

Try to find ANY kind of magazine like that in Boston

Bookstores, supermarkets, etc. I check every one I go into.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. I think some schmo in the front office makes the decisions on what people will buy. I'm sure personal bias enters in sometimes as well

In Texas you can buy them in the airports. [lol]

I "believe" that I have seen some gun mags in S&S in the past. I don't usually even walk down that aisle, but will try to check on my next trip to S&S.

Mags come in "waves" with "put out" and "remove by" dates sent by the distributors. You may have looked during the "lull" between issue dates.

I don't think it is a conspiracy. I also never buy mags in the supermarkets, nor does my Wife.

Yea, I was wondering what I've seen. I do know that I've seen Mountain Biking at my Stop and Shop in North Attleboro.

And I know that they all don't carry the same things because I work right next to the one in Hingham. And they have all kinds of nice stuff that we don't get out in the one in North Attleboro.

I only saw that one though becuase my wife was looking for the parenthood mag when we just had out daughter so I was looking at the racks when she was looking.

And, by the way, they didn't have any baby mags there when she was looking. So I don't think that it's just for the guns. I think that it was more like Len said.

But I will look at both as sometimes I stop at this one by work because it's easier sometimes than the one by my house. And this one has more stuff. But I think that it's because Hingham has more money than North Attleboro.

1. Has any body noticed this at their local Stop & Shop or similar store?

Yes. Shaw's does not carry any gun magazines.

2. Is Stop & Shop a liberal Store?

I have no idea. I have wondered if these stores avoid these maagazines because of political correctness, or because they simply don't sell well in this moonbat-infested area.

3. Am I over reacting?

If it's because of political correctness, there's no such thing as an overreaction. If the store just can't sell enough to make it worth their while to stock these mags, I can't blame them for not bothering.

I don't buy gun mags anymore (other than American Rifleman). They're worse than Motor Trend -- they never test a gun they don't love (especially when the manufacturer bought a big ad page in the issue)...

M1911 said:
I don't buy gun mags anymore (other than American Rifleman). They're worse than Motor Trend -- they never test a gun they don't love (especially when the manufacturer bought a big ad page in the issue)...

The exception that proves the rule:
Gun Tests
$24 / year (12 issues)
No Advertising
http://www.gun-tests.com/

Ken

Yesterday we stopped in Super Stop & Shop (Norwood) and Big Y (Walpole). I forgot to look in SSS, I'll try to do better next time! :?

Big Y had Guns & Ammo, front and Center on the rack. Very visible right up front at eyeball height.

FWIW, Big Y only has this one store in Eastern MA. They hail from Springfield . . . an area that still allows hunting and has a lot more (%-age) gun owners than Eastern MA.

A friend of mines wife works at the magazine dist. . They have a warehouse in Quincy and Worcester. She said I'll look and see if we have any gun mags for you.

A week later she came back with one copy of Guns&Ammo and said this all we carry any more there isn't a big enough demand for them to carry any more gun mags.. Seems people just didn't buy enough of them to justify them stocking them.

Well what is wierd is that maybe supermarkets do not carry them, but everytime I am at the airport, I see them in the news stand racks.

Go figure

CVS in Marlboro carries Combat Handguns, G&A, and some mag about western shooting. Don't know about Pricechopper, Stop & Shop or Victory/Hannaford as I don't shop for magazines there.

Ross

dwarven1 said:
CVS in Marlboro carries Combat Handguns, G&A, and some mag about western shooting. Don't know about Pricechopper, Stop & Shop or Victory/Hannaford as I don't shop for magazines there.

Ross

Well I went to Stop and Shop again today and I looked extra hard and still didn’t see them. I do see these types of magazines at a lot of other stores. I have noticed in the past that CVS does intact have one of the larger selections I have seen for outdoor magazines for a regular store. I am not speculating on a conspiracy I don’t want anyone to get the wrong Idea but I just think it's a bit odd. Stop and Shop in Bellingham has a very extensive Line of books and magazines but not may to do with hunting of firearms.

So my conclusion:

Screw it there going to do what they want despite what I think. How bout them Red Sox... Yankees still suck.

The Big Y in both Northampton and Amherst, the Stop and Shop in Hadley and the CVS pharmacy in Amherst all had a wide selection of gun magazines.

A few years ago (the last time I used CVS due to their extremely poor service at the pharmacy), I saw the person stocking the magazines. But, no more gun mags were being put on the shelves. I asked about this, and she said that the owner of that CVS does not like guns and would not have them in his store anymore.

The Big Y's in Northampton and Amherst were rebuilt into a "Super" Big Y's a few years ago. When the renovations were done, so were the gun magazines on their shelves. Never to be seen again.

Stop and Shop in Hadley has just completed its renovations into a "Super" S&S. As soon as they were done building, all the gun mags were gone off their shelves.

It doesn't matter, I just go there to get food anyway. There is still Wal-Mart and Barnes and Noble right down the road. I can get anything I want there.

So Hawgleg you're in our neck of the woods. I used to work at the Big Y in Amherst. We are out in Westhampton,where abouts are you?

Neither could we. I like the little town we live in. Hubby grew up here. I'm not one for cities as it is. I have always prefered the country. :)

Stop and Shop in Hudson used to have a nice little selection of titles. Used to like to stop and flip a few to see what was 'hot' and what I might have someone ask me in the next class. I have noticed that recently, there hasn't been a single title in that regard.

Besides, it is far more fun to go to the Mall at the Prudential Center and grab some obvious gun rag and sit down to flip through it. First, the magazine display in this store is a narrow part of the shop wher there is a lot of foot traffic heading to the cafe. Second, It's busy enough (especially at lunch) that people can't move by all that fast.

Oh the looks, or people making the effort NOT to look are just priceless. Whenever I HAVE to go into the city, it's just far too much fun playing with the mids of the sheep. (^_^)

Liberals, if they were not so damn dangerous, they would be so entertaining. (^_^)

[/quote]So my conclusion:

Screw it there going to do what they want despite what I think. How bout them Red Sox... Yankees still suck.[/quote]

Don't even get me started, freaking Bellhorn. What is wrong with that guy? He drops more balls than a blind clown in a wind storm.

I was in Stop & Shop (Norwood) "the evening that the lights went out" on the forum, so here's my report . . .

- Nice mag rack with individual slots for each mag, with name-tags for every mag that is supposed to be in a given slot.

- NO gun mags at all. No slot for them either.

- Only 15 "sports" mags in total. Mostly women's mags (no surprise) and car mags.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they stock mags based on past sales history. The computerized cash registers are also used for inventory control and to determine what sells and what doesn't. Ordering is probably based on those results.

I recall seeing some food products in the Stoughton Stop & Shop, but these same items were NOT carried in the Norwood store. Reason I was given was related to demand by customers. . . if it doesn't sell in a particular store, they won't stock it.

We have an amazingly high number of gun clubs in our area, BUT most folks interest levels seem to be on skeet/trap or hunting ONLY in this area. I only know a handful of people who CCW (and only 1 from this area) and only 1 cop (now retired) who always carried off-duty. My guess is that Guns & Ammo isn't high on most folks list around here.

Not to be ignored is that you pay something like $5 for one gun mag in the store, but can buy a subscription for something like $15-20/year!

Back
Top Bottom