• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stag may leave CT after the new laws

mikeyp

NES Member
Stag Arms Looking To Follow PTR?s Lead, Leave Connecticut In Protest Over Anti-Gun Laws « Pat Dollard

- - - Updated - - -

Post from their FB page a few weeks ago

Update about Stag Arms moving out of state:

Stag Arms remains committed to our customers and all law abiding gun owners. We have been at work designing and creating new models of rifles that are compliant with the laws recently passed here in Connecticut as well as continuing our campaign to have these unjust restrictions repealed.

We are still evaluating our options in regards to moving out of state. Last week at the NRA conference and show in Houston our owner had a meeting with the governor of Texas about moving. Since we manufacture 80% of our rifle parts in house and sell to other companies we have numerous variables to consider compared to companies that purchase all their parts from various suppliers and simply assemble their rifles. A few things we have to take into account are moving large precision machinery, obtaining routine maintenance for the machines, and securing a proper power grid structure to support our operation.

Actions have consequences. I understand their choice of Texas, one of the least likely states to jump on this bandwagon.

Actions have consequences. I understand their choice of Texas, one of the least likely states to jump on this bandwagon.

Good ol' Texas. I was actually surprised their gun laws were as restrictive as they are when I looked into it (they're NOT MA, but they have binding signage, no OC, etc)

Why move gun business to TX and not to NH? Workers, power, and transport.

NH is freer than TX
No argument from me. I just got back from Texas; it was annoying to actually have to worry about "printing", binding signage, and the 51% revenue from alcohol law. While NH is better for individuals, it may not be a better environment than TX for business, particularly for operating a manufacturing business relying on availability of transport, a stable power grid, and a large pool of workers to draw from.

With the amount of MA residents that have moved into Southern NH and keep on moving, that will change given time.
This again? [sad2]
Funny, I don't see Sig, Ruger and the many other manufacturers fleeing the state in fear of the massies moving in. And can the MA influence really compete with the 20,000 free staters heading to NH later this decade?

Southern NH is NOT the enemy of freedom:
pxiqu.jpg
I've posted this map in another thread in a larger size.

New Hampshire is a fine state for gun owners, but perhaps not the best state to try to run a big factory operation, if only due to the weather, transport, and lack of cheap skilled labor. Still, we have a fair number of mfgrs, as shown in the NHPR map.

What's with the no open carry in Texas? How'd that come to be?

Some info:

"Ban on open carry" is not an accurate description of the provisions of Texas law regulating handgun carry.

Historically Texas has CRIMINALIZED the carrying of a handgun on or about the person since 1872 - EXCEPT UNDER CERTAIN SPECIFIED CIRCUMSTANCES. Personally I have concluded that the Texas Legislature had some reason for not criminalizing the carry of a CONCEALED handgun rather than a handgun. My belief is that handguns, Bowie Knives, "illegal knives", and clubs were obviously CONCEALABLE - therefore it mattered not whether they were concealed one minute and in plain view the next. Obvioulsy a rifle could be concealed also, but - go figure.

You cannot understand 1870's "handgun" philosophy outside of the 1870's context.
The most important framework required is to take into account the WHEN TRAVELING EXCEPTION ( SEE SECTION 46.15). In the 1872 environment if you were not at home or on premises under your control - you were involved in the process of TRAVELING -somewhere. Any person engaged in common criminal activity such as robbing travelers, banks, trains, or hi-jacking freight was not considered to be a legitimate "traveler" - only law-abiding people were travelers. So you see there really wasn't a "handgun" problem if you were a "law-abiding" person - at least in the beginning.

Over the last 14 decades the "when traveling" exception has increasingly come under greater "scrutiny". Crooks were never extended recognition of the "when traveling" exception. Once the traveling status of one group of citizens (crooks) is deemed to be plausibly deniable, it's simply an incremental process of gradually expanding the reach of that scrutiny - like throwing a wider net. This "wider net" aimed at greater traveling scrutiny - the primary EXCEPTION to the otherwise draconian handgun ban - unfortunately has no statutory basis under Texas law, and more grievously has always been contrived, arbitrary, very selective - and ILLEGAL.

None of the statutorially excepted circumstances have ever been subject to qualifications as to concealment or (open) carry in plain view prior to the provisions enacted in 1995 for the Texas CONCEALED (ONLY) Handgun License EXCEPTION, and in 2007 for unlicensed NOT IN PLAIN VIEW carry INSIDE OF a person's vehicle. Those are the only two circumstances when a handgun must be carried concealed under current Texas law.

I make no apologies for constantly bringing up the WHEN TRAVELING exception, because if you "are carrying" anything - you are "traveling" somewhere.

The rather "exhaustive" complete list of exceptions to the criminality of carrying a handgun are available in Chapter 46 of the Texas Penal Code. Anyone contemplating carrying a handgun in Texas should be familiar with the relevant provisions of that Chapter 46. There has been extensive discussions on this Texas forum regarding the provisions of that "cord of wood" casually referred to as Texas handgun law. Like a cord of wood - it ain't perfect, but it is - what it is. Some good "pieces" - some not so good "pieces". It's just not approachable from the perspective of an "open carry ban".

Anyone not comfortable relying upon the "when traveling" provision of section 46.15 - shouldn't. The "cord of wood" is infested with perils at present. Whenever I travel I exercise considerable caution, and I constantly weigh the risk/benefit of how, when, and where I present myself armed in plain view.

After the Civil War was over most of the southern states passed these laws to prevent freed slaves from possessing guns. They added vague terms like “while traveling” to give themselves enough room to enforce them when and upon whom they wished, while letting others slide. It wasn’t long before northern states saw the genius of this and they, also wishing to selectively control segments of their populations, passed similar laws. When the white populations complained “may issue” concealed permits were invented and issued to friends and political allies. This is the illustrious history of gun control in the USA.

When, How & Why was open carry banned in Texas??

yeah I never had too much respect for Stag. If they do this I'll have more respect for them. They have some real sheep working for them. [thinking]

Your profile says you are on the north shore. If you live in the commie state of Massachusetts you have not got a leg to stand on regarding Stag possibly staying here in CT.

While many of the other manufacturers were out of stock or over-pricing their ARs Stag worked hard to produce rifles for CT sale for MSRP before our ban was enacted 4/4/2013.

If you have left Massachusettes for a free state, then I will listen to your complaints about Stag.

We have a ban here now, but CT is still much more free than MA and RI with their rediculous carry restrictions, approved gun lists etc. (I looked at both MA and RI last year, because my wife wants to be closer to her family in MA. I told her CT is as close as I will ever get to get to MA.)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

yeah I never had too much respect for Stag. If they do this I'll have more respect for them. They have some real sheep working for them. [thinking]

i agree, the whole "working to build a compliant CT gun" thing irks me, if i were stag i would tell everyone in this shitty state to gfy and peace out

- - - Updated - - -

Your profile says you are on the north shore. If you live in the commie state of Massachusetts you have not got a leg to stand on regarding Stag possibly staying here in CT.

While many of the other manufacturers were out of stock or over-pricing their ARs Stag worked hard to produce rifles for CT sale for MSRP before our ban was enacted 4/4/2013.

If you have left Massachusettes for a free state, then I will listen to your complaints about Stag.

We have a ban here now, but CT is still much more free than MA and RI with their rediculous carry restrictions, approved gun lists etc. (I looked at both MA and RI last year, because my wife wants to be closer to her family in MA. I told her CT is as close as I will ever get to get to MA.)

dude MA is Texas compared to CT now haha

I'm not allowed to have an opinion on a company that complies to bullshit regulations? CT and MA aren't similar.

i agree, the whole "working to build a compliant CT gun" thing irks me, if i were stag i would tell everyone in this shitty state to gfy and peace out

- - - Updated - - -

no kidding. CT went full retard. MA was circling the drain but it seems to be slowing down. Knock on wood.

- - - Updated - - -

I will be sure to tell my carry gun (XDS) that MA is a better place to be. The MA LTC system sounds like a joke. As for ARs and mags they are grandfathered and I have what I need. If the state takes them I will be leaving CT and the wife will have the option of coming with me to a warmer and free state or not.

My RI inquiry last year was funny: letters of recomemdation, proof of a threat on my life, and a whole slew of stupid hoops to carry a gun.

I worked in Northampton 20 years ago. What a liberal hell hole.... must be worse now.

I'm not allowed to have an opinion on a company that complies to bullshit regulations? CT and MA aren't similar.

You can have whatever opinions you want.

I own Stag products and support them if they want to leave or stay in CT.

Prior to 4/4/13 I was considering purchasing 10 round mags to shoot in MA. CT went full retard 2 months ago. How long have 30 round mags been banned in MA?

I will be sure to tell my carry gun (XDS) that MA is a better place to be. The MA LTC system sounds like a joke. As for ARs and mags they are grandfathered and I have what I need. If the state takes them I will be leaving CT and the wife will have the option of coming with me to a warmer and free state or not.

My RI inquiry last year was funny: letters of recomemdation, proof of a threat on my life, and a whole slew of stupid hoops to carry a gun.

I worked in Northampton 20 years ago. What a liberal hell hole.... must be worse now.

Northhampton? You have bridgeport. It's a push. CT is a sh!tty state. One of the top 5 highest taxed states in the country, it's a void state in between MA and NY. MA isn't much better but it's a bit.

Northhampton? You have bridgeport. It's a push. CT is a sh!tty state. One of the top 5 highest taxed states in the country, it's a void state in between MA and NY. MA isn't much better but it's a bit.

CT is a shit hole. I live here only because my wife wants to be close to her family in MA (which I refuse to visit let alone live in). If it wasn't for my wife i would have left new england 25 years ago.
I am sticking up for Stag, not CT.

This whole area is a sewer.

As for ARs and mags they are grandfathered and I have what I need.

kills me when guys say this, im in the same boat and yeah i get where your coming from, but god it sucks for everybody else.

CT is a shit hole. I live here only because my wife wants to be close to her family in MA (which I refuse to visit let alone live in). If it wasn't for my wife i would have left new england 25 years ago.
I am sticking up for Stag, not CT.

This whole area is a sewer.

agreed on the sewer part, and stag is a good company from all i have seen. whereabouts are you?

kills me when guys say this, im in the same boat and yeah i get where your coming from, but god it sucks for everybody else.

agreed on the sewer part, and stag is a good company from all i have seen. whereabouts are you?

I knew the wording was crappy but I was and am too lazy to fix it. Didn't mean for it to sound like "I've got mine, and don't care about others." I do care but I can't make Malloy and the legislature change it.....(it's going to be years in the courts and I fear it will not be repealed).

I live about 20 minutes east of Willimantic (farming area). I cannot confirm this, but a town selectman in this area said household gun ownership around here is 70%. That said, Senator douchebag Donald Williams who helped ram this crap salad of a law through lives in a nearby town.

For reference: before living in other states I lived in Darien and Southbury (mid 1964-1973).

I knew the wording was crappy but I was and am too lazy to fix it. Didn't mean for it to sound like "I've got mine, and don't care about others." I do care but I can't make Malloy and the legislature change it.....(it's going to be years in the courts and I fear it will not be repealed).

I live about 20 minutes east of Willimantic (farming area). I cannot confirm this, but a town selectman in this area said household gun ownership around here is 70%. That said, Senator douchebag Donald Williams who helped ram this crap salad of a law through lives in a nearby town.

For reference: before living in other states I lived in Darien and Southbury (mid 1964-1973).

i knew what you meant and how you meant it. your spot on about them not changing anything, even if it is technically "unconstitutional". they got away with the first AWB and all they are doing now is expanding that. we're screwed. Don Williams is my boy... gag. Im just outside of willi up in the hills of lebanon. welcome to NES btw.

Who is least free? Race to the bottom...

I like Texas; I won't moan if Stag Arms moves their operation there. It's a great place to run a business, but I wouldn't want to live in Texas.
Love these pissing matches about "who's more free" you guys are good! [thumbsup]
[horse]I prefer the pissing matches about "who lives in the most FUBAR state?". Always makes me feel better about moving here.
33us8lf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom