Speaking of No 4 buck

I switched my HD Winchester 1200 from oo to No. 4. I took it to the range just to get acquainted with the round.

Dang[shocked]!! I'm not typically recoil sensitive, but that damn near killed my shoulder. On the first shot the forearm flipped out of my hand.

I haven't shot 00 recently but I don't recall it being that bad. Is there any reason with the No 4 would be tougher in the same gun?

Thanks for the wisdom

(It's not any kind of a power load)

Might just be loaded with more powder. I had some high velocity slugs that made a noticable amount more kick. If you get the Knoxx recoil reducer stock, it makes it a non-issue.

I noticed that too. My only prior shotgun experience was a familiarization fire while deployed. That was the mil-spec 00 buck with the green hulls. The recoil didn't seem too bad. Now I have a 500 with S&B #4 buck, and the recoil seems much harsher.

No I was just doing some reading about wall penetration and the consensus was that No 4 would be less of a problem. The condo next to mine has been vacant for two years, but now it looks like someone is moving in

Just curious, were you looking for a bigger spread going with the #4?

Not sure about News Shooter, but I was looking for a little less penetration, being an apartment dweller and all.

EDIT: News Shooter types faster than I do.

oh ok, are you concerned with the increased felt recoil that it will still blast right through?

What brand of #4? Curious, as I am going to be doing some more formal testing in the future and (A) would like to include it and (B) would like to get an idea of felt recoil between shotgun models...(Knoxx and non Knoxx stock equipped)...

oh ok, are you concerned with the increased felt recoil that it will still blast right through?

Not really, it just startled me and made me wonder if I should use something that I have difficulty controlling in a pinch.

I believe it was Winchester ammo. I'll double check tonight. I did look at the hulls to see if they were hot loads, but they weren't.

What brand of #4? Curious, as I am going to be doing some more formal testing in the future and (A) would like to include it and (B) would like to get an idea of felt recoil between shotgun models...(Knoxx and non Knoxx stock equipped)...
Sellier & Bellot #4, it's all I've been able to find. I'd like to try some others though.

two words ..........

Knoxx Stock

I have one. I don't think the recoil reduction is that impressive.

Perhaps you had shot a semi-auto in your 00 experience? The 500 loaded with any buckshot should kick like a horse.

Anyone coming to the Pumpkin Blast bringing scatter guns? I'm bringing my Benelli SNT and would like to see the differences in felt recoil...

Mark I'm bringing this w/#4, 00 & sabots.
its Knoxx equipted, the stock is good but definately not a "Cure- All'" or "Magic Stock " you feel high brass & 00.
..oh & two boxes of some ole' Hornaday 9mm lead for ya.[wink]

ppk006.jpg

Although No 4 shot is smaller than 00, you did not mention the total shot weight. 00 oftem comes with anywhere from 9-12 pellets. A light 00 kicks less than a heavy 4.

Since you are shooting a pump shotgun and dont need to worry about having enough power to cycle a semi auto action what about trying some of the Low Recoil loads offered out there?

Im not so hot on the S&B loads. The S&B buckshot I've seen has no buffer or wad of any sort. Talk about a scattered pattern..
My favorite load right now is the Federal Premium copper plated 00. My shotty will shoot that stuff in about a 12-18 inch circle out to about 35-40 yards.

When I was in Botswana, one of the HD loads I saw was a a 3 inch 12 gauge shell loaded with #4 or #1 buck mixed with BBs.
Ouch.

Excellent! Looking forward to meeting you! I'm bringing some standard Remington 00-buck, Brenneke KO's and some monster 3.5 00-buck just for fun and adventure....[wink]

WTF? 3.5 inch? What did the pumpkins ever do to you to deserve that???

Anyone coming to the Pumpkin Blast bringing scatter guns? I'm bringing my Benelli SNT and would like to see the differences in felt recoil...

I'll bring my old Itacha 37 if you would like to test the difference in felt recoil between that and the SNT. Let me know.

Since you are shooting a pump shotgun and dont need to worry about having enough power to cycle a semi auto action what about trying some of the Low Recoil loads offered out there?

My sentiments exactly. I bought a good amount of Winchester's Ranger low recoil buckshot and slug ammo and it doesn't kick that bad and I figure if it's good enough for the police it's good enough for me[smile].

If you can't take the kick get yourself a 20 ga. You still get the boom. You still get a bunch of pellets flying pretty close to the same velocity. You still get some kick but not as much as a 12.

Hey, I think I solved the mystery, at least for my situation. I mentioned the recoil discrepancy with a buddy of mine from my old platoon. He pointed out that when we shot the fam fire in Iraq we were wearing full PPE and gear and all that crap. Maybe the extra 50 pounds of crap on my chest dampened the recoil some?

Hey, I think I solved the mystery, at least for my situation. I mentioned the recoil discrepancy with a buddy of mine from my old platoon. He pointed out that when we shot the fam fire in Iraq we were wearing full PPE and gear and all that crap. Maybe the extra 50 pounds of crap on my chest dampened the recoil some?

I would think so...When I was younger, I used to wear my uncle's match shooting jacket from the 1st Army Rifle Team to shoot a 300 Win Mag that was given to me by my old neighbor, (RIP George)...It has a thick leather patch backed by foam and it dampened the 300 WM well. I would imagine your gear had a similar effect...

We should plan a "meeting of the shotguns" sometime after all the pumpkin fever dies down...I know few, (if any) will have 3.5 HD guns, but I'd like to shoot some regular old 00 to do some comparisons. I'd like to see a mix of Mossberg, Remingtons, Winchesters, Ithacas, etc - some with recoil reducing stocks - some without. I'll have my Benelli, which is just a smooth ride. This hopefully will be a precursor to some more formal, (possibly published) testing I'm working on...I have no #4 Buck, so if anyone has some, please bring it. I'll exchange for a 3.5" Magnum 00 Buck experience... [wink]

Back
Top Bottom