• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Speak Out Against Coyote Killing Contests (5/9/19)

Destructive? Clear cutting is destructive? Who told you clear cutting is destructive?

It is destructive if not done in a way which manages topsoil erosion from unmitigated sheet flows and not followed up with a seeding plan. The US/Canadian timber industry has figured this stuff out and knows to cut mindfully around contours and establish understory growth so that this isn't a problem. Good timber cutting practices essentially mimic natural forest fires in clearing areas AND PRODUCE HEALTHIER FORESTS! This is something the Sierra Club type ninnies can't seem to get through their closed minds.

It is destructive if not done in a way which manages topsoil erosion from unmitigated sheet flows and not followed up with a seeding plan. The US/Canadian timber industry has figured this stuff out and knows to cut mindfully around contours and establish understory growth so that this isn't a problem. Good timber cutting practices essentially mimic natural forest fires in clearing areas AND PRODUCE HEALTHIER FORESTS! This is something the Sierra Club type ninnies can't seem to get through their closed minds.
I've studied all of that.

Outstanding Waher. Modern lumber producers are first and foremost Stewards of the Forest. Irving has been planting 5 trees for every tree they harvest, for decades. Tree huggers ignore this. If you want more trees on the planet, use more wood.

Yotes are vermin and should be shot on sight, whenever possible.

Given FREE REIGN humans could exterminate them within a year - easy.

I dunno. I think you would have to make it legal to shoot them under peoples porches, on school grounds etc. They are very adaptable and can live damn near anywhere.

Outstanding Waher. Modern lumber producers are first and foremost Stewards of the Forest. Irving has been planting 5 trees for every tree they harvest, for decades. Tree huggers ignore this. If you want more trees on the planet, use more wood.

Yotes are vermin and should be shot on sight, whenever possible.

I dunno. I think you would have to make it legal to shoot them under peoples porches, on school grounds etc. They are very adaptable and can live damn near anywhere.

In ye olde days when we exterminated wolves, how many children and grannies were shot in the pursuit of the wolf ?

midwinter-a-wolf-had-not-been-seen-at-salem-for-thirty-years-pyle.jpg

I'm guessing NONE.

In ye olde days when we exterminated wolves, how many children and grannies were shot in the pursuit of the wolf ?

midwinter-a-wolf-had-not-been-seen-at-salem-for-thirty-years-pyle.jpg

I'm guessing NONE.

Maybe. But I think you will agree that lots of things have changed since then. Population density, firearms effectiveness etc. Not to mention, wolves actually ate people. Yotes do not. (except for one old guy in Nova Scotia)

Predators, Prey and Lyme Disease

Non native coyotes kill and displace red fox, red fox eat rodents, rodents are primarily to blame for the spread of Lyme disease.
Coyotes are a invasive species that kill pets and contribute to people getting Lyme disease. How could anyone object to killing them?

Predators, Prey and Lyme Disease

Non native coyotes kill and displace red fox, red fox eat rodents, rodents are primarily to blame for the spread of Lyme disease.
Coyotes are a invasive species that kill pets and contribute to people getting Lyme disease. How could anyone object to killing them?

Interesting article. Kill em all! Haha

Ya know, I'm not sure I'd put coh-yoh-tays in the same group as, say zebra mussels and Japanese knotweed and asian long-horn beetles and milfoil.

We didn't introduce them, on purpose or by accident, into this AO. They travelled here on their own. Good for them. In the process, they interbred with wolves and ended up significantly bigger than the rest-of-the-country counterparts.

Would I shoot one if it was a problem? Yup.

Would I deny you your right to shoot one?? Nope.

Should we "eradicate" them (if that was even possible?)? Nope. At that point, we are no better than the snowflakes.

Yep thats kinda how I look at it..

Honestly I think the ever increasing turkey population is potentially a lot more harmful than coyotes, where I live (Rockingham county nh) I haven't seen any change in coyotes in the last 25 years - had them back then, have them now, hear them commonly, rarely if ever do you see them...

Turkeys on the other hand barely existed prior and now are everywhere you look - a hazard on the roads, probably changing all sorts of things in the larger environment. They hangout on our yards and probably spread diseased terd and lice and who knows what else (you hunters gotta step it up with these freakin things).. dont even run when you yell at them anymore.

To me anyway, Turkeys seem like pests - I dont hunt but seems like they ought to be thinned out and Id be ok doing it. I kinda like coyotes, would take to shooting one no different than a dog - if there was a damn good concrete reason (ie protecting myself or my animals from imminent threat) I would otherwise I couldn't do it.

Last edited:
Yep thats kinda how I look at it..

Honestly I think the ever increasing turkey population is potentially a lot more harmful than coyotes, where I live (Rockingham county nh) I haven't seen any change in coyotes in the last 25 years - had them back then, have them now, hear them commonly, rarely if ever do you see them...

Turkeys on the other hand barely existed prior and now are everywhere you look - a hazard on the roads, probably changing all sorts of things in the larger environment. They hangout on our yards and probably spread diseased terd and lice and who knows what else (you hunters gotta step it up with these freakin things).. dont even run when you yell at them anymore.

To me anyway, Turkeys seem like pests - I dont hunt but seems like they ought to be thinned out and Id be ok doing it. I kinda like coyotes, would take to shooting one no different than a dog - if there was a damn good concrete reason (ie protecting myself or my animals from imminent threat) I would otherwise I couldn't do it.

You fit the mold of what professional wildlife managers call a "ballot box bioligist". You let your opinion of wildlife guide your opinions of what should....and shouldn't....be hunted and you don't even hunt!

You say Turkey barely existed? Maybe in your personal memories but your way off the .ark on that statement.

Turkey were plentiful in new england....then they dropped off in the late 1800s and first half of 1900s due to habitat problems (too much farm land) And over hunting. Yes......Massachusetts has much more forest today than it did in 1900. In 1850 mass was only 30% forest...... it is over 65% forest now....the 8th most forested state in the country. A fact that most soccer moms, earthy crunchies, and ballet box biologists are either ignorant of.....or chose to ignore for their own personal feelings.

Turkey are back in force due to one of the most successful re introduction programs in the history of wildlife management. Note I said re introduction.....not introduction. While wild Turkey in mass are at a high right now.......they are fine and a non issue and very low on the negative interaction scale with humans. Mass f and g was considering changing the bag limits on Turkey this season to increase hunter success rates but it didn't go through this season......I suspect the daily bag limit in mass to increase from 1 to 2 birds a day, and the yearly bag limit to increase from 2 birds to 3 birds in the 2020 season. Not to eradicate a problem.....but to let hunters take part in a plentiful harvest.

I'm not aware of any disease related issues with regard to wild Turkey. You make a big assumption with your opinion on lice and disease turds......let's not assume without looking for facts.

Last edited:
Turkeys eat ticks and are actually excellent managers of invasive insects. They are also a good source of food for the red fox population, which itself is an excellent rodent manager.

The only problem with turkeys is people that don’t realize aggressive Toms must be met with assertiveness to get them to chill out.

Stumbled on this today. Speaks to the need for the "Disturbed Forest" and talks about a clear cut in Savoy in 2009, then and now. I thought it was very well done....

Well done and the science is accurate.

Absolutely speaks to the ballot box biologists bitching about clear cut and that they don't know about early successional forests and what it means to habitat diversity. I love seeing young Aspen stands growing up from a clear cut. Grouse and cottontail are awesome game animals and they need that type of forest.

I did a life history on grouse for a wildlife management class. Galliform are amazing animals. They are a precocial species....their young hatch ready to go. They don't have to feed them in a nest like most bird species. The eggs hatch and the juveniles are mobile and can hunt for small insects immediately. They hang around the mother for some protection for a bit but they feed themselves. They are an amazing creature.

Last edited:
We should PACK these sessions, and get them to fix all the ridiculous laws (.22LR and shotgun only at night, no lights, ...)

We should PACK these sessions, and get them to fix all the ridiculous laws (.22LR and shotgun only at night, no lights, ...)
There's no way we would outnumber the antis that show up at these. They don't give a shit about the contests, they simply hate hunting. If they have one nearby, I'll sign up to speak and thank MassWildLife for putting on the presentation and getting me to take a basic hunter education class and a hunting license. That ought to stir up the moonbats.

That is EXACTLY the type of attitude that leads to failure.

I'm of the opposite mind, and think what a great thing is can be when we finally lay things out for the administrators, and put the "antis" in their proper place.

This is EXACTLY WHY our side should show up with a LIST OF DEMANDS, telling them what is wrong with what we have now, and how to improve things. This should also be provided IN WRITING, for submission to their board, and give them copies for Beaton on down.

They are all interconnected. Everyone talks with one another. There is no cutoff. Offer them no compromises. No wiggle room. Shout the BS down every chance you get. This is big chance to "send them a message".

Back
Top Bottom