• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Speak Out Against Coyote Killing Contests (5/9/19)

In these parts, the coyote hunting protesters would be next on the open season list.

Until you live where coyotes cause problems......stick your protests up your A$$.

These same people complain about domestic dogs shitting on their lawns or sidewalks but refuse to acknowledge the monetary damages and physical threats that an ever increasing wild canine group poses.

Coyotes are impossible to get rid of period. That is a known fact. F&W know that unless their mammalogist is a moron. Cull them as needed but keep your pets inside or watch over them with buckshot. MA is overrun with lots of game due to lack of hunting and closed areas to hunting. I see turkey under my neighbors bird feeded few times a day if I am home. Coyotes during the day and deer mauled my yews in my front yard. Everything has to eat. We are invaders to nature and we are in their backyard. LOL

In Texas, they are such a problem that I'm pretty sure that no license is needed. They are considered a pest and everyone is happy if you can kill one. Feral hogs are a problem too, but you need a license for them. No limit, no tag, just a license.

If I had a license for turkey in MA and it wasn't illegal, I could shoot the limit by opening my bedroom window. They march through my yard twice a day at least.

Coyotes are impossible to get rid of period. That is a known fact. F&W know that unless their mammalogist is a moron. Cull them as needed but keep your pets inside or watch over them with buckshot. MA is overrun with lots of game due to lack of hunting and closed areas to hunting. I see turkey under my neighbors bird feeded few times a day if I am home. Coyotes during the day and deer mauled my yews in my front yard. Everything has to eat. We are invaders to nature and we are in their backyard. LOL
One of the statements made at the presentation is that a 70% harvest would not affect the population. Since (according to MassWildLife) there were zero coyotes in Mass in 1950, and zero on the cape in 2000, it seems to me the population would rebound from a 100% harvest.

The MA DFW does not give 2 shits about what the public thinks. Anyone thinking about selling land to them should really consider another organization.

Why would an agency who's mission is to protect the land engage in destructive forestry projects? I have no problem with logging...its healty. Clearing every tree on a 500 acre parcel is not. Compare forestry projects managed by DFW and private land owners. Private land owners always leave behind the healthy hardwood trees...DFW projects leave nothing.

Last edited:
The MA DFW does not give 2 shits about what the public thinks. Anyone thinking about selling land to them should really consider another organization.

Why would an agency who's mission is to protect the land engage in destructive forestry projects? I have no problem with logging...its healty. Clearing every tree on a 500 acre parcel is not. Compare forestry projects managed by DFW and private land owners. Private land owners always leave behind the healthy hardwood trees...DFW projects leave nothing.

Not true out by me in North Central. They clearcut several stands behind my house. One large one...they level clear cut. I think it used to be field and they were somewhat trying to regen it back, they stumped it and its growing low bush blueberry and shrub.

In a couple others, the main stand was pine. They left a big seed pine every 200 feet. The other few stands were Oak. They left big Oaks every 200 feet. Those stands are now like 6 years after cutting and so thick with the intended species you can't walk thru them. The trees will now be slower growth, and the strongest will rise up, the others will die off.

There is really nothing wrong with a full clearcut....we have gobs of woods in my area, not enough edge cover, or brushy cover or field. Open areas encourage sunlight, and grow lower and better produce for most animals to eat. Especially woody winter edibles that deer and moose tend to get by winter with. My area is probably 10% field 90% wooded. Good quality deer hunting areas are around 50% of each. Like Kentucky, were I hunted last year, the majority of the area was 50/50 wood/field. Deer everywhere.

I have not noticed an increase in deer, but we have a coyote problem, we also have moose competing with deer and browsing the level higher. I have noticed and increase in rabbit, and squirrel, but along with that a huge increase in fisher, coyote and bobcat.

This is where I agree with you that MA DFW doesn't give two shits about. We should be shooting coyotes year round, any possible way, lights, bait, calls, any rifle you want day or night.

Last edited:
One of the statements made at the presentation is that a 70% harvest would not affect the population. Since (according to MassWildLife) there were zero coyotes in Mass in 1950, and zero on the cape in 2000, it seems to me the population would rebound from a 100% harvest.

It would....as young male coyotes get kicked out, they travel great distances to get a turf, and create new families. So you can eradicate them from an area, but they will be back.

Ah.....your not only wrong your VERY wrong. Why should dfw give 2 shits about what the public thinks? The "public" is not generally knowledgeable in the science of habitat management through forestry practices.

Destructive? Clear cutting is destructive? Who told you clear cutting is destructive? Clear cutting creates certain habitat that supports diverse wildlife. Do you think a clear cut area is all of a sudden devoid of wildlife? Forestry projects should include clear cutting as well as select cutting. Wonder why the grouse populations are falling off in southern new England? It's because there is a lack of clear cutting management practices to create early successional forest. Clear cutting creates early successional forests (poplar and birch) that grouse and other Galliform species prefer..... as well as cottontail and a multitude of non game animals that are just as important to the ecology. We have an over abundance of deer in the eastern half of mass and an over abundance of Turkey throughout the state......why? Lack of predation for starters but Also Because select cut management practices of leaving behind the "healthy" hardwoods lends to favoring old growth forests only that abut fields (lawns, parks, small farms etc...) creating the hard edge habitat (old growth forest next to field) that deer and Turkey prefer......while reducing habitat that cottontail and grouse prefer.

Where did you read that cutting every tree on 500 acres is unhealthy? My forestry degree and multiple courses in wildlife management forms my opinion that the correct practice in forest management is a combination of clear cut and select cut.....because good habitat management includes diversity of forest types. Mass is almost become a monoculture of old growth because soccer moms and suburbanites that think they f***ing know better believe clear cutting is always bad.....and they whine about it.....ALOT......so private land managers cave in and avoid clear cutting.

Forest management should include a good deal of clear cutting.....but both clear and select cut should be used to support diversity in habitat type. So.....to answer your question dfw clear cuts to support early successional forest type in order to bring back some diversity in habitat.

Edit.....did some googling on the dfw clear cut situation and quickly found a project in central mass that dfw encouraged clear cut to support whiporwill habitat as it is a species of special concern. Clear cutting is not always bad.

Last edited:
Kill every Coyote in New England !

Yet we celebrate when a State Trooper "Rescues" one of them:

Baby coyote rescued by State Police in Revere

Coyotes are not indigenous, and are exterminating our Native Species.

If that Trooper picked up a stray Dog Pup, it would have been 48 hours in a cage and then the gas.

But a Coyote gets SANCTUARY.

Sound familiar ?

Kill every Coyote in New England !

Yet we celebrate when a State Trooper "Rescues" one of them:

Baby coyote rescued by State Police in Revere

Coyotes are not indigenous, and are exterminating our Native Species.

If that Trooper picked up a stray Dog Pup, it would have been 48 hours in a cage and then the gas.

But a Coyote gets SANCTUARY.

Sound familiar ?
What native species are coyotes exterminating? Not being a smart ass it's a serious question. I've done a ton of reading on coyotes in new England and have not run across a species that the coyote is threatening into concern.

First, I have zero issues with cutting forests.

There are dozens of forestry projects in my area....and a few on DFW land. The non-DFW projects left a mess but they preserved enough trees so that after a couple years you have what looks like a very thin forest with some smaller growth coming up underneath. Its an eyesore for a while but it looks fine.

The DFW projects have all been clear cut and will look like a grown in gravel pit for the next 10 years. I agree you should harvest the forest, but leaving an eyesore is just being a bad neighbor. You can clearcut to create habitat, just leave some trees in strategic places to make it look like less of a wasteland while things grow back.

My beef with DFW is their hypocrisy....they refuse to open land to snowmobiles that do ZERO damage to the land. On the the other hand, they open areas around the Quabbin that are off limits to humans for logging. The state will cut your balls off if you dare cut something too close to wetlands, but loggers can drive thru swamps and leave soil to erode without penalty.

IMO DFW's values are closely aligned with the people who say "Save The Planet...Kill Yourself". They don't allow walking trails on their property. They don't allow unleashed pets on their property. They don't respect the wishes of people they obtain property from. They won't work with any organized group who wants to use their land for recreation. At the same time, they turn a blind eye to Jeeps and trash dumpers that ravage their land. They are a bad neighbor...I advise everyone not to sell or give them any more land.

Ah.....your not only wrong your VERY wrong. Why should dfw give 2 shits about what the public thinks? The "public" is not generally knowledgeable in the science of habitat management through forestry practices.

Destructive? Clear cutting is destructive? Who told you clear cutting is destructive? Clear cutting creates certain habitat that supports diverse wildlife. Do you think a clear cut area is all of a sudden devoid of wildlife? Forestry projects should include clear cutting as well as select cutting. Wonder why the grouse populations are falling off in southern new England? It's because there is a lack of clear cutting management practices to create early successional forest. Clear cutting creates early successional forests (poplar and birch) that grouse and other Galliform species prefer..... as well as cottontail and a multitude of non game animals that are just as important to the ecology. We have an over abundance of deer in the eastern half of mass and an over abundance of Turkey throughout the state......why? Lack of predation for starters but Also Because select cut management practices of leaving behind the "healthy" hardwoods lends to favoring old growth forests only that abut fields (lawns, parks, small farms etc...) creating the hard edge habitat (old growth forest next to field) that deer and Turkey prefer......while reducing habitat that cottontail and grouse prefer.

Where did you read that cutting every tree on 500 acres is unhealthy? My forestry degree and multiple courses in wildlife management forms my opinion that the correct practice in forest management is a combination of clear cut and select cut.....because good habitat management includes diversity of forest types. Mass is almost become a monoculture of old growth because soccer moms and suburbanites that think they f***ing know better believe clear cutting is always bad.....and they whine about it.....ALOT......so private land managers cave in and avoid clear cutting.

Forest management should include a good deal of clear cutting.....but both clear and select cut should be used to support diversity in habitat type. So.....to answer your question dfw clear cuts to support early successional forest type in order to bring back some diversity in habitat.

Edit.....did some googling on the dfw clear cut situation and quickly found a project in central mass that dfw encouraged clear cut to support whiporwill habitat as it is a species of special concern. Clear cutting is not always bad.

I’d like to thank the moonbats for bringing this to my attention.

I went to the listening session in March as a result of an email from GOAL. I knew nothing about hunting. The MassWildLife presentation interested me enough to sign up for a hunter education class.

I finished last night.

I’d like to thank the moonbats for bringing this to my attention.

I went to the listening session in March as a result of an email from GOAL. I knew nothing about hunting. The MassWildLife presentation interested me enough to sign up for a hunter education class.

I finished last night.
Awesome. Still 2 weeks of Turkey season left!

Where did you do hunter ed?

What do you think you'll try for first? What do you have for hunting guns and equipment? Plenty if folks on here that can lend some advice.

Last edited:
Oh, I got no problem with skidders with 8 foot tires and chains going through ripping everything apart and clear cutting...........

But I got a HUGE problem when they close off ALL the forests to Jeeps and ATV's because we are WAY TOO destructive. [angry][angry][angry][angry][angry][angry]

Coyotes here where I am in the CT river valley are exploding in population, they need to be controlled.

What native species are coyotes exterminating? Not being a smart ass it's a serious question. I've done a ton of reading on coyotes in new England and have not run across a species that the coyote is threatening into concern.

Red Fox
Canada Lynx
Atlantic Coast Piping Plover
Roseate Tern
Hedgehog
Mink

And many, many more.

Awesome. Still 2 weeks of Turkey season left!

Where did you do hunter ed?

What do you think you'll try for first? What do you have for hunting guns and equipment? Plenty if folks on here that can lend some advice.
I did the course at the Leicester Rod and Gun club. I don't have any plans to go hunting. I wanted to learn what it was all about, and the price (zero) was right. I don't own a shotgun, bow, black power gun, or crossbow. I don't think they'd be too happy with me if I went hunting with a .38 snubnose.

However, I think I'll be hunting Bowling Pins on Sunday.

Last edited:
Coyotes are impossible to get rid of period. That is a known fact.

No they are not. Mountain Lions, Wolves, Coyote were eradicated by people that raised animals, carried guns and trapped predators. The idiots that think that bears, coyote, beaver that dam streams and wolves all belong in the general population of hundreds of thousands of non weapon bearing humans are just plain stupid.

No they are not. Mountain Lions, Wolves, Coyote were eradicated by people that raised animals, carried guns and trapped predators. The idiots that think that bears, coyote, beaver that dam streams and wolves all belong in the general population of hundreds of thousands of non weapon bearing humans are just plain stupid.
I'll say they are hard to get rid of but not impossible. They adapt very well. If you hammer them in the burbs and huxtable land they will go to the towns and cities where you can't hunt them and live happy on dumpsters and rodents. I worked in south Boston for 2 years and occasionally saw coyote in the seaport section before sunup. Ridding new England of them Is going to be very difficult. It will take major changes to the hunting and trapping regs to do so.

I'll say they are hard to get rid of but not impossible. They adapt very well. If you hammer them in the burbs and huxtable land they will go to the towns and cities where you can't hunt them and live happy on dumpsters and rodents. I worked in south Boston for 2 years and occasionally saw coyote in the seaport section before sunup. Ridding new England of them Is going to be very difficult. It will take major changes to the hunting and trapping regs to do so.

Given FREE REIGN humans could exterminate them within a year - easy.

Ya know, I'm not sure I'd put coh-yoh-tays in the same group as, say zebra mussels and Japanese knotweed and asian long-horn beetles and milfoil.

We didn't introduce them, on purpose or by accident, into this AO. They travelled here on their own. Good for them. In the process, they interbred with wolves and ended up significantly bigger than the rest-of-the-country counterparts.

Would I shoot one if it was a problem? Yup.

Would I deny you your right to shoot one?? Nope.

Should we "eradicate" them (if that was even possible?)? Nope. At that point, we are no better than the snowflakes.

Back
Top Bottom