Spanish Commercial

I wasn't actually watching the World Series, but while flipping through channelss I was shocked/appalled/amazed/non-plussed that there, on my tv, during primetime hours, on Fox TV, there was a commercial for a pick-up truck. In Spanish.

I have no problem with Hispanics, but I DO have a problem with this. English is the language that the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights and the Constitution were written in. If that doesn't say that English is the official language of the USA then I don't know what does.

What do you think?

The NFL has been running spots during games in Spanish for a kids flag football league. It was kind of wierd as the Pats game went to commercial and then this type of commercial played. It didn't really bother me per say, but I did comment to my wife that it should of been in English. Seems they are just trying to get spanish kids for the games. That isn't right.

Yep...I caught that commercial. What I found really offensive was that it was a commercial for Chevrolet. Isn't their slogan "Chevrolet, an American Revolution"[thinking] [rolleyes]

Hmmm...kinda makes one wonder.

Last edited:
I've stated this on other forums before and I'll say it here too.
We have a strong need to have English as the offiical language of the United States of America. Because if we don't we will end up pretty much like Canada (Quebec). We are nearly there alread with the southwestern states (Mexi-forna-zona). Here in Massachusetts as well, get any mail from the state in the last couple of years ? There's always that seprate page with like 22 languages offering to have it translated for you. ...and why whey calling certian state agencies is the FIRST language I hear Spanish !?! Wal-Mart is now pandering to the people whom will not learn our language by having announcements in Spanish.

My parents came to this country back in the 1930's they learned to speak English, and it wasn't a problem for them. Why is this so hard to do today ?

untitled.jpg

Fred

Yep...I caught that commercial. What I found really offensive was that it was a commercial for Chevrolet. Isn't their slogan "Chevrolet, an American Revolution"[thinking] [rolleyes]

Hmmm...kinda makes one wonder.

A Chevy commercial in spanish????? I didn't see this.

My parents came to this country back in the 1930's they learned to speak English, and it wasn't a problem for them. Why is this so hard to do today ?
When your parents came to the good ole US of A, their intent was to become American. The intent of most of the immigrants (legal and illegal) coming into the US today, though, is not to assimilate but to conquer. Consequently, they don't learn English because it does nothing to further their reconquista.

The spanish language is getting more wide spread then you might think. My neice, who is 7, attends the Mendon public school. Before they begin to learn english they are put into a spanish imulsion curiculum. After a year she now can speak fluent and read spanish. This is before she is taught english.

That is just wrong.

When your parents came to the good ole US of A, their intent was to become American. The intent of most of the immigrants (legal and illegal) coming into the US today, though, is not to assimilate but to conquer. Consequently, they don't learn English because it does nothing to further their reconquista.

Sorry Mike, that is too broad a brush to spread, you don't know that for a fact. I have a hard time believing that immigrants intention have changed in the past 100 years. I would like to believe that most come in for the same reason my Father and mother did, for a better life not so much for themselves but for their children. I don't have an issues with people speaking a different language, as long as when I do business we can communicate in a common language which is English.

The spanish language is getting more wide spread then you might think. My neice, who is 7, attends the Mendon public school. Before they begin to learn english they are put into a spanish imulsion curiculum. After a year she now can speak fluent and read spanish. This is before she is taught english.

That is just wrong.

Hold on a second let me get this straight, your neice spent a year learning only Spanish and no English was spoken or written? In Mendon? Or do you mean she took Spanish as a subject like Math and now she is fluent? Would you rather she learn Chinese? Why is learning a different language such a pain for people. Most of Europeans I know are fluent in at least 2 languages? You realize the world speaks other languages? As much as we like to believe we are isolated we are part of a larger planet which for better or worse we have to interact with.

Every time I call a corporation (like Cingular) they always answer in English and then in spanish, and I'm always gritting my teeth spitting out 'Don't talk to me in spanish!'. GRRRR!

I used to have a sticker on my helmet - Speak English or Get the F*ck Out!. I really mean it! [rolleyes]

Hold on a second let me get this straight, your neice spent a year learning only Spanish and no English was spoken or written? In Mendon? Or do you mean she took Spanish as a subject like Math and now she is fluent? Would you rather she learn Chinese? Why is learning a different language such a pain for people. Most of Europeans I know are fluent in at least 2 languages? You realize the world speaks other languages? As much as we like to believe we are isolated we are part of a larger planet which for better or worse we have to interact with.

Sorry, FeeBear. If you don't think that making a child learn to speak Spanish BEFORE you teach them English in THIS country is wrong, no one will ever be able to explain it to you.

We have a strong need to have English as the offiical language of the United States of America. Because if we don't we will end up pretty much like Canada (Quebec).
What is wrong with the way Québec does it? At least the Canadian government sees the two languages as equal, and legislates that people must have equal access to both government services in both English and French.

Either have one official languages, two official languages, or don't bother at all.

The problem with comparing the situation in the US to that in Quebec, is that the French took power, thus making French an official language. Here in the US, the English took power, making English the official language. If the Spanish want their claim back then tell them to send the conquistadors over...
Until then, this is the US, founded by English-speakers. It's not our job to be flexible, if you want to stay, learn the language and use it. I don't care if you are bi-tri-multi-lingual, but you should know English and be able to speak it somewhat clearly. If I decided to move to Mexico, you can be damn sure I'd learn Spanish. It's a matter of respect.

Sorry, FeeBear. If you don't think that making a child learn to speak Spanish BEFORE you teach them English in THIS country is wrong, no one will ever be able to explain it to you.

Pilgrim, you glanced over my comment too quickly. What I am saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE to teach spanish to a child before ENGLISH. I was trying to politely point that out. Unlike some of our friends that answer questions with blunt answers, I try and stir up some thought so that people can find the answers on their own. You can't teach a language to someone without referencing their home language, of course the exception is total immersion which I doubt they do in Mendon. I know English is the main language in the US. I have never argued that it wasn't. I will also say that learning different languages is a good thing. On a side note, what do you think the rest of the world thinks of us when half our ambassadors can't speak the language they are stationed at?

Fee

The problem with comparing the situation in the US to that in Quebec, is that the French took power, thus making French an official language. Here in the US, the English took power, making English the official language. If the Spanish want their claim back then tell them to send the conquistadors over...
Until then, this is the US, founded by English-speakers. It's not our job to be flexible, if you want to stay, learn the language and use it. I don't care if you are bi-tri-multi-lingual, but you should know English and be able to speak it somewhat clearly. If I decided to move to Mexico, you can be damn sure I'd learn Spanish. It's a matter of respect.

SR, can I ask do you get as mad when you drive through Maine and see French everywhere or is it just Spanish? Just curious.

For all those who think that a multi language country is a good idea, please consider this:

Think about countries around the world where multiple languages are/have been the norm. Multi languages mean multi cultures, multi customs, multi religion, multi areas where these different cultures congregate and live...the word conclave comes to mind.

Most of these types of countries eventually end up in (at best) political conflict and (at worst) physical conflict. Even the partial breakup of Canada has been threatened with Quebec seceding and forming it's own country.

Look around the world, all these multi ethnic countries seem to be at war from within or at war with their immediate neighbors.

One of the biggest reasons that the US has prospered as it has, is that people CAME (mostly past tense now) here to be Americans, speak the language and become part of the melting pot which makes ONE country. In a melting pot, everyone blends in together for the common good.

By promoting multiple languages, pandering to different ethnic groups by making signs and advertisements in multiple languages, we are promoting divisiveness and will eventually pay a big price. With multi languages, there is no 'melting pot', only a pot full of rocks that are constantly bumping into each others' differences.

Ironically, the language issue is probably the easiest 'problem' of immigration to solve.

The mostly liberal attitude of 'diversity' will be the downfall of this country.

With no common language, there will be no US.

Last edited:
Sorry Mike, that is too broad a brush to spread, you don't know that for a fact. I have a hard time believing that immigrants intention have changed in the past 100 years. I would like to believe that most come in for the same reason my Father and mother did, for a better life not so much for themselves but for their children. I don't have an issues with people speaking a different language, as long as when I do business we can communicate in a common language which is English.
I used to believe that too - not anymore.

SR, can I ask do you get as mad when you drive through Maine and see French everywhere or is it just Spanish? Just curious.
I do! As an American of French ancestry, who learned french in high school (can't remember much) I don't appreciate seeing anything in this country in french. Having been treated like a third class citizen in Canada by french speakers who thought I should know french because of my surname.

I'll say it again. Learn to speak English or go back to your own country.

I do! As an American of French ancestry, who learned french in high school (can't remember much) I don't appreciate seeing anything in this country in french. Having been treated like a third class citizen in Canada by french speakers who thought I should know french because of my surname.

I was just curious. At least you have disdain for all foreign languages in the US equally [smile] .

I used to believe that too - not anymore.

Alright, I guess this is one of those subjects that we agree to disagree. [grin] I can only talk with authority about my own life. I am first generation American and my wife is Naturalized. My son is 2nd Generation American and he knows 2 languages, I honestly believe that knowing more than one language is an advantage.

Fee

Actually the first part is correct. In the Mendon public school they are only taught spanish for the first year. Math, science etc is taught in English, but the kids are encouraged to speak spanish as much as possible. All language type classes are taught in Spanish. She knows how to "speak" english and spanish. She only knows how to write spanish at this point. Writing english is now being taught to her in her second year of school along with spanish.

Hell, the first grade Christmas choir sang all the Christmas songs in spanish. I know, I got to listen to every one of them during Christmas dinner.

I actually think that she will be better off in her future endeavors knowing more then one language. Not sure I agree that learning spanish before english is the best route though.

For all those who think that a multi language country is a good idea, please consider this:

Think about countries around the world where multiple languages are/have been the norm. Multi languages mean multi cultures, multi customs, multi religion, multi areas where these different cultures congregate and live...the word conclave comes to mind.

Most of these types of countries eventually end up in (at best) political conflict and (at worst) physical conflict. Even the partial breakup of Canada has been threatened with Quebec seceding and forming it's own country.

Look around the world, all these multi ethnic countries seem to be at war from within or at war with their immediate neighbors.

One of the biggest reasons that the US has prospered as it has, is that people CAME (mostly past tense now) here to be Americans, speak the language and become part of the melting pot which makes ONE country. In a melting pot, everyone blends in together for the common good.

By promoting multiple languages, pandering to different ethnic groups by making signs and advertisements in multiple languages, we are promoting divisiveness and will eventually pay a big price. With multi languages, there is no 'melting pot', only a pot full of rocks that are constantly bumping into each others' differences.

Ironically, the language issue is probably the easiest 'problem' of immigration to solve.

The mostly liberal attitude of 'diversity' will be the downfall of this country.

With no common language, there will be no US.

I agree with your last statement, no common lanuage there is no US.

But let us take your thesis a section at a time.

"Think about countries around the world where multiple languages are/have been the norm. Multi languages mean multi cultures, multi customs, multi religion, multi areas where these different cultures congregate and live...the word conclave comes to mind."

Come on Pilgrim, that has been the case since before 1776. Not everybody in the 13 Colonies spoke English, not all them were Christian. We survived as a country. As far as the Multi Area part, until very recently that held true with Boston, North End (Italian) Cambridge (Liberial), Brookline (Jewish) South Boston/Dorchester (Irish) Roxbury (First Jewish then Black). The US didn't implode neither did Boston.

"Most of these types of countries eventually end up in (at best) political conflict and (at worst) physical conflict. Even the partial breakup of Canada has been threatened with Quebec seceding and forming it's own country."

This hasn't happen in the history of this country and I doubt it will ever happen. We have always had cultural differences and yet in time of crisis we have stuck together. Example of that are blacks in the military during both WWII and Korea. What was the incentive for blacks to fight in those wars, they were viewed by a large part of the population as second class citizens, yet when duty called they voluteered why because even though America didn't think much of them they still were proud of their country.

"One of the biggest reasons that the US has prospered as it has, is that people CAME (mostly past tense now) here to be Americans, speak the language and become part of the melting pot which makes ONE country. In a melting pot, everyone blends in together for the common good."

You are talking as if that transition from immigrant to citizen happened in an instance and not over time. It is like talking about the good old times. Just like you are complainning now, we had people complaining then. I am sure someone back during the huge irish immigration into the US felt the same way but after TIME those Irish became incorparated into the Melting pot, to the point that few Whites can claim to be "pure" Irish or "pure" Italian or etc....

"By promoting multiple languages, pandering to different ethnic groups by making signs and advertisements in multiple languages, we are promoting divisiveness and will eventually pay a big price. With multi languages, there is no 'melting pot', only a pot full of rocks that are constantly bumping into each others' differences."

It is very hard for a person coming to this land to learn English overnight, it takes time. My Dad and Mom came to the US in 1968, were they not suppose to work because they only spoke Spanish? No they worked and with help of others became accustom to the country and its language. My Dad and Mom eventually learn the language, but my Brother and I became American because we were born here and were educated here. Now if back in 1968 had people advertised in Spanish it wouldn't have stop my parents from educating us in English, it would though have made it easier from them to shop. We (my brother and I ) served as tranlators to my parents for many years. Yet the melting pot continues.

"Ironically, the language issue is probably the easiest 'problem' of immigration to solve."

Actually it is the easist to solve over time. What you seem to be glancing over is unless you immigrant from a English speaking country, language and learning the language can only be solved with time. So if an immigrant arrives today, should he A) not work because he doesn't know the language or shop for food? B) My parents route of simply struggle your way through it until either someone helps you learn the language or you have kids to work as translators or C) Help people with the transition to America by getting them settled and at least acclimated with their new home. Foreigners/immigrants still have to do everything we do (shop and eat). With all that said the Children of these immigrants are the true results of the melting pot.

Actually the first part is correct. In the Mendon public school they are only taught spanish for the first year. Math, science etc is taught in English, but the kids are encouraged to speak spanish as much as possible. All language type classes are taught in Spanish. She knows how to "speak" english and spanish. She only knows how to write spanish at this point. Writing english is now being taught to her in her second year of school along with spanish.

Hell, the first grade Christmas choir sang all the Christmas songs in spanish. I know, I got to listen to every one of them during Christmas dinner.

I actually think that she will be better off in her future endeavors knowing more then one language. Not sure I agree that learning spanish before english is the best route though.

Okay, I apologize, you are right that is the dumbest thing I have heard of. First learn you home language then another.

Alright, I guess this is one of those subjects that we agree to disagree. [grin] I can only talk with authority about my own life. I am first generation American and my wife is Naturalized. My son is 2nd Generation American and he knows 2 languages, I honestly believe that knowing more than one language is an advantage.

Fee
Fee, I have no problem with legal immigration. My problem is with illegal immigration and the form of legal immigration that results from latching onto American citizenship through anchor babies. This current pattern of immigration (legal and illegal) involves HUGE numbers of people coming into the US who could care less about learning English. With that, I'll refer back to Pilgrim's post, which expressed quite well my sentiments and fears about what this all means.

Weren't the Acadians here before English-speaking white people in Maine?

I have no problem seeing french in Maine, though to tell you the truth I haven't seen that much of it at all. Admittedly, I've never been much more north than Millinocket, but even in Biddeford I didn't see any french signs.

All of the French Canadians I've met that spoke French first were always nice to me, but admittedly I don't have your surname.

The problem is when a language brought by recent immigrants becomes dominant, and they have no desire to learn English. IMNSHO you can't say that about Franco-Americans, at least none of the ones I've met.

Weren't the Acadians here before English-speaking white people in Maine?

I have no problem seeing french in Maine, though to tell you the truth I haven't seen that much of it at all. Admittedly, I've never been much more north than Millinocket, but even in Biddeford I didn't see any french signs.

All of the French Canadians I've met that spoke French first were always nice to me, but admittedly I don't have your surname.

The problem is when a language brought by recent immigrants becomes dominant, and they have no desire to learn English. IMNSHO you can't say that about Franco-Americans, at least none of the ones I've met.
If you've been to Biddeford and not seen french signs you haven't looked very hard. We've been all over the state, at all times of the year, and there are usually many, many Quebec license plates around. You're right, they're fine, polite tourists. It's in Canada they're arrogant about their language.

Recent immigrants need to learn English. It costs every citizen of this country way too much money to educate, translate, publish, etc. everything in multiple languages.

Back
Top Bottom