• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Commercial drones for "tactical" use.

AllaSnackbah

NES Member
20220703_151325.jpg

I just grabbed a DJI mini2 this week, Ive been avoiding buying a drone for awhile, mainly because im basically a troglodyte when it comes to technology, but also because ive got enough junk. But the ever continuing use of them overseas topped with information guys like Chris Rance have been dropping has forced me to get on the bandwagon to at the very minimum learn the capabilities, even of cheap easily available commercial grade units like this DJI mini2, so i can be aware and hopefully defeat (hide from) them.

As much as ive wanted to avoid them its simply undeniable that drones are the future and they will be a major player in any battlespace moving forward in the 21st century. Just the reconnaissance abilities alone a small, man portable unit like this offers to a small unit are incredible.

Im looking forward to learning as much as i can with this thing, if anybody on here has experience they can offer please discuss here because i am pretty much completely new.

Primary things im interested in is using it on a phone without a sim card, linking it to something like ATAK, comsec (ie when you use one of these things who knows, is it trackable/traceable), how to avoid detection of your drone, both electronically and by eye and sound, tips and tricks for drone avoidance, etc.

I have been talking with a few of my friends about this, it is just so much to read into and I also don't really want more junk and to be the guy that takes on an other hobby because no one else wants to learn it.

I wouldn’t have gone with DJI, simply because they are required by Chinese law to provide all information and data to the CCP when requested (hint: it’s all requested).

I’ve been considering a Parrot Anafi for similar CONOPS as you. The USA model has both EO and LWIR sensors, which appeals to me. It’s just pricey because of the LWIR. Also considering the Autel Evo variant.. It has great claimed flight time and max wind performance. No LWIR though and pricey for not having LWIR.

Just make sure to never connect it to the internet when it has data on it.

Next step is you should paint the top of the body in camo colors consistent with your environment, and paint the belly light blue. 😁

Last edited:
Primary things im interested in is using it on a phone without a sim card, linking it to something like ATAK, comsec (ie when you use one of these things who knows, is it trackable/traceable), how to avoid detection of your drone, both electronically and by eye and sound, tips and tricks for drone avoidance, etc.
I've got a mavic mini, not sure how to avoid detection electronically, but they are very small and once they are up 3-4 hundred feet they are an absolute bitch to spot by eye, can still hear that bzzzzzzzzz'ing sound quite a while after you lose sight of it though. I've heard that if you play around with the settings you can easily get them high enough where theres no chance at all of seeing them or even hearing them, at least that's what i uhm, heard.

Never gonna stop the noise but they have more enough range where you can send them off in some other direction from you to make it appear like they are landing then just circle them back to you over the tree tops (which the landscape will block a ton of the noise when they are low) and back to you if you're worried about people chasing you around trying to find out who's running it. Can automate the process too with "return to home", send it off some other direction then press a button and it will go to a preset altitude (right over your areas's tree tops) then fly itself right to where it took off from and drop straight down and land.

Also can electrical tape over that little blinking light on the back belly and you lose track of it a bit faster by eye.

I wouldn’t have gone with DJI, simply because they are required by Chinese law to provide all information and data to the CCP when requested (hint: it’s all requested).
You don't say...

You don't say...
I stopped following TikTok security risks, but I’m not at all surprised.

With DJI in particular, the CCP have been gathering imagery of U.S. infrastructure across the country.

I stopped following TikTok security risks, but I’m not at all surprised.

With DJI in particular, the CCP have been gathering imagery of U.S. infrastructure across the country.
I never used tiktok. As for drones, I see them a lot and I don't know if they are being used for real estate photos or workers comp investigations or people just screwing around with them. I would like to get one but I know that I would end up breaking it immediately.

Don’t the DJI drones transmit unique IDs and location data unencrypted? It’s also not going to be easy to hide the transmitters acting like beacons.

DJI actually supplies a unit to Law Enforcement that identifies every drone in the operational area up to 50KM away

Remote ID is the real highlight of what AeroScope was developed for; essentially, it can act as a way to allow the FAA, law enforcement, and Federal security agencies to identify drones flying over a certain area and lower the risk of bad actors. This feature makes it possible to unlock critical drone data such as the location, altitude, speed and direction of every DJI drone within radio range, as well as the location of the drone pilot and the serial number of the drone

DJI actually supplies a unit to Law Enforcement that identifies every drone in the operational area up to 50KM away

Enbloc did that great photoshop showing how to block the Man and the Red Chinese from watching you watch the neighbors wife at the pool.

Unless you build it yourself, they're gonna track you. I have both, but your not getting all the cool stuff DJI has to offer with a scratch built. My ones without the tracking are more for racing as well, so about 3 min. of battery if I'm lucky.
And tracking is technically possible with any of these, you are transmitting and receiving signals and videos.

Drones would be hugely beneficial for all the reasons listed already, I’d love to have one for the mostly peaceful destruction of society ahead of us, but the level of black tech that our government and China has is so much farther advanced than we could imagine.

Unfortunately, as useful as they are, idiots like me who still try to sneak up on the wifi box with a flashlight hoping to catch the waves coming out it would lead to my immediate death, I’m sure of it. lol

Drones would be hugely beneficial for all the reasons listed already, I’d love to have one for the mostly peaceful destruction of society ahead of us, but the level of black tech that our government and China has is so much farther advanced than we could imagine.

Unfortunately, as useful as they are, idiots like me who still try to sneak up on the wifi box with a flashlight hoping to catch the waves coming out it would lead to my immediate death, I’m sure of it. lol
The things people who know what they're doing can do with drones is nuts, this is getting past any tips on commercial grade tactical usage, but interesting to watch. Also interesting to think about the uses it could have, you certainly can't run from it or shoot it down

View: https://youtu.be/GgULwdpbIiI

I would consider either a custom built drone, or a drone from one of the Blue SUAS program. Im use a Skydio for work, great stuff. US made, not geolocked, and less chance of information sent to other governments.

The one drawback to "disconnected" drones, they have less range than a heavily connected and all GPS linked drone.

Unless you build it yourself, they're gonna track you. I have both, but your not getting all the cool stuff DJI has to offer with a scratch built. My ones without the tracking are more for racing as well, so about 3 min. of battery if I'm lucky.
And tracking is technically possible with any of these, you are transmitting and receiving signals and videos.
You’re not transmitting and receiving if you implement some good navigation/autonomy, either GPS or computer vision based. Not sure about the current legality of such autonomy. Only that they’re not supposed to be out of your view.

Man I loved my VertiBird when I was a kid, and then again in my 30s cleaning out my parents' house. Mine was on a boat, not free-standing like that one.

I'm more interested in ground-based RCs right now. Torn between a Traxxas Maxx V2 or an Arrma Kraton 4S V2

You’re not transmitting and receiving if you implement some good navigation/autonomy, either GPS or computer vision based. Not sure about the current legality of such autonomy. Only that they’re not supposed to be out of your view.
Yeah thats true, I heard that there will be a change for part 107 to be able to fly beyond VLOS when some automation is available, ill have to do some research.

My drone actually flies by itself, I use it to develop 3d scans of buildings to turn those into photogramettric and point cloud models.

The things people who know what they're doing can do with drones is nuts, this is getting past any tips on commercial grade tactical usage, but interesting to watch. Also interesting to think about the uses it could have, you certainly can't run from it or shoot it down

View: https://youtu.be/GgULwdpbIiI

Great ASMR though...

imagine what a 1/4 pound of C-4 and a handful of ball bearings could accomplish with that thing.

Unf

I’ve been considering a Parrot Anafi for similar CONOPS as you. The USA model has both EO and LWIR sensors, which appeals to me. It’s just pricey because of the LWIR. Also considering the Autel Evo variant.. It has great claimed flight time and max wind performance. No LWIR though and pricey for not having LWIR.

Just make sure to never connect it to the internet when it has data on it.

Next step is you should paint the top of the body in camo colors consistent with your environment, and paint the belly light blue. 😁

Unfortunately im less concerned with the chinese communist govt having my info as i am the american communist govt lol

You can easily setup waypoints to follow via GPS and an app on your phone. I have a small 3" drone with close to 1/2 hour to a whole hour of flight time depending on wind, speed, battery, etc.. that can do this, but then you're not getting a live feed, just some photos or vids to review via micro SD from an additional camera that you would need to mount, which in some cases is fine. This one is using a DJI type cam which could easily be disconnected, analog cam model is also available but I like the digital picture by far. This one pictured is my latest BNF (bind and fly) and it's been good so far but only a couple flights in. And it does require using a computer and updating all the electronic gadgets once in a while after the initial setup. And a little more fyi, this one has the low light night cam, pretty slick.
B89AA30E-E338-44F1-B546-98AE02B25A8D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom