• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Commercial drones for "tactical" use.

The things people who know what they're doing can do with drones is nuts, this is getting past any tips on commercial grade tactical usage, but interesting to watch. Also interesting to think about the uses it could have, you certainly can't run from it or shoot it down

View: https://youtu.be/GgULwdpbIiI

That’s probably the coolest and most terrifying thing I’ve seen today. I kept thinking that it had a little IED mounted on it to ensure a singular kill. Looked just like a little block of C4, Det cord and a charge. Was is just more dilithium crystals?

Update night, all the cameras needed updates to current version to work with the goggles latest firmware. All the flight controllers needed an update, big new version out that is so much better than the last. TX system that I use needed an update, but it wirelessly updates the RX's which is nice. And because I run an open source system on my controller I decided to update that as well to work with all the other item updates.
Or you buy DJI stuff and fly it, and it will fly like it should. 7B4DD384-F3D7-428A-BBFA-C822FED1BA67.jpeg

Haven't gotten your 'ghost drone' setup dialed in yet?

If you don't know you, you better ask somebody!

Just upgraded from my old DJI Mavic Air to a new DJI Air 2S. The 2S is noticeably quieter than the older Mavic Air. You can also get modified props that will lower the frequency of the prop noise (it will be just as loud from a dBa point of view, but the pitch will be lower and less “buzzy”). I use it strictly for recreational photography, so I don’t have to worry about Part 107 licensing (note that something as simple as taking drone footage of your local high school's football game for them to put up on the school's website can be consider non-recreational flying, you have to be taking picture/videos for yourself).

One good thing about the DJI Mini is that it's take off weight is 249 g. That is 1 gram less than the 250 gram threshold that the FAA has where they require you to register your drone and affix its registration number to it. I had to register both the Mavic Air and the 2S since they are considerably over that limit (the 2S weighs in at 595 g).

One thing to be aware of is that sustained flight over people is not allowed for recreational flyers. You can fly along side them, in front of them, behind them, but not over them unless you are just transiting from one point to another. Any sustained flight over a person (or a moving vehicle), like hovering over them or looping over a crowd, is not permitted.

The FAA is also now saying that recreational flyers should:

Take The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) and carry proof of test passage.

Just upgraded from my old DJI Mavic Air to a new DJI Air 2S. The 2S is noticeably quieter than the older Mavic Air. You can also get modified props that will lower the frequency of the prop noise (it will be just as loud from a dBa point of view, but the pitch will be lower and less “buzzy”). I use it strictly for recreational photography, so I don’t have to worry about Part 107 licensing (note that something as simple as taking drone footage of your local high school's football game for them to put up on the school's website can be consider non-recreational flying, you have to be taking picture/videos for yourself).

One good thing about the DJI Mini is that it's take off weight is 249 g. That is 1 gram less than the 250 gram threshold that the FAA has where they require you to register your drone and affix its registration number to it. I had to register both the Mavic Air and the 2S since they are considerably over that limit (the 2S weighs in at 595 g).

One thing to be aware of is that sustained flight over people is not allowed for recreational flyers. You can fly along side them, in front of them, behind them, but not over them unless you are just transiting from one point to another. Any sustained flight over a person (or a moving vehicle), like hovering over them or looping over a crowd, is not permitted.

The FAA is also now saying that recreational flyers should:

A test now? Screw that, I'm done jumping through hoops for a govt that wants me dead.

take the part 107 exam and avoid any BS

If I used it all the time, I might do something like that, but I usually put it up once or twice per year over my back yard to record the pretty leaves, and call it done. Not worth it.

I know the dudes who put this together and got it going. Bit of a fallout and the guys I know walked away from it but the other guy is still going at it. They had loads of issues with interference in that building.
View attachment 635510
Combine that with a Tee shirt launcher and that's money in the bank... [cheers]

200.gif

Back
Top Bottom