SP1 / AR15

It should fit fine. I have an SP1 upper on a new lower without any problems. What you'll need to check are the takedown and pivot pin diameters. The proper diameter is .25". There were some Colt lowers that had a different pin size for civilian sales.

CD

A regular (non Colt) upper will need a special busshing screw to fit on a SP1 lower. The Colt lower has a large hole and the AR upper has a standard small hole.

I wasn't aware the FCG pins were different on the SP1's, that's good to know.

I have seen both 'large hole' and 'small hole' lowers that were listed as SP1. The upper I have was also sold as a SP1 but it has the small holes.

CD

So If i live in MA and have a Sp-1 (obviously preban) I am allowed to put current production uppers with AW features (threaded barrel, bayonet mount, etc)?

All that maters is that the lower was assembled into a firearm before Sept '94. What you do with that lower afterwards only needs to comply with NFA.

The large hole we talk about is .315". Standard, or small hole is .250".

cdkayak said:
The upper I have was also sold as a SP1 but it has the small holes.

CD

Chris, the upper you have may be a M16 upper, which would have the standard small holes. Except for the holes, a M16 and a SP1 upper are the same (except for the bolt, too).

Colt was playing it safe, I guess, back in the 60's and 70's when the SP1 was out. They didn't want full-auto uppers or lowers to be used on their commercial rifles.

I use a SP1, slick-side lower on my spacegun. Had to find a Jewell trigger with the large pins and also get the the offset bushing, but after that, you're good to go.

PatMcD said:
Chris, the upper you have may be a M16 upper, which would have the standard small holes. Except for the holes, a M16 and a SP1 upper are the same (except for the bolt, too).

You're probably right, it was unused with some cosmo still on it & the bolt carrier group had been pulled.

Back
Top Bottom