• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt SP1 - Sharpie Marks

fernie

NES Member
So long story short, I have a Colt SP1 that the previous owner used a sharpie to, I believe, correct some discoloration. Well to me it doesn't look the best. So what I was wondering is does anyone have recommendations on restoring this to original look? And if so any recommendations on gunsmiths in eastern MA that might do it?

I know some people believe that it takes away from the value but currently with the sharpie I think it detracts more and can't get it off my mind.

I'm unable to recommend a gunsmith but I can recommend that you try wiping off the Sharpie ink and trying a bluing touch up pen from Birchwood Casey. They have black, blue, and a few other flavors. A little touch up here and there won't eff up the value as much as a total re blue. Worth a shot.

So long story short, I have a Colt SP1 that the previous owner used a sharpie to, I believe, correct some discoloration. Well to me it doesn't look the best. So what I was wondering is does anyone have recommendations on restoring this to original look? And if so any recommendations on gunsmiths in eastern MA that might do it?

I know some people believe that it takes away from the value but currently with the sharpie I think it detracts more and can't get it off my mind.
Where was the sharpie used? I can’t tell you how to restore the original look without knowing what surface/material it was used on. Pictures?

For sharpie removal though, at least on a white board, you can write over it with dry erase marker and then both will come off. Not sure if that will work on the surface it’s on with the rifle.

Where was the sharpie used? I can’t tell you how to restore the original look without knowing what surface/material it was used on. Pictures?

For sharpie removal though, at least on a white board, you can write over it with dry erase marker and then both will come off. Not sure if that will work on the surface it’s on with the rifle.

unnamed.jpg

Ahh, thanks. You can try using a dry erase marker, or denatured alcohol to take it off.

Unfortunately, the SP1s have a grey anodizing and the quick anodizing stuff you can get from Brownells for touch ups is black.

There are some places that offer Colt grey anodizing, but you’d need to strip the upper and it would come back looking pretty brand new.

Thank you folks for the suggestions. I think I am going to get the sharpie out and let it show its scars like mac1911 suggested. I'll leave it to the new rifles to look shiny and new. Thanks everyone! I'll update the thread on how the removal goes.

Back
Top Bottom