South Dakota CCW to MA NR CCW

Hello everyone,

I have my CCW from South Dakota (very simple to get) however I'm going to school in MA and am looking to get my non-resident CCW for my last year of college (next year).

I've contacted the Firearms Bureau twice, however I have yet to receive the NR paperwork. My next step will be to call them in a few days and talk with a representative.

I'm looking for advice on how I can better my chances of getting my Class A, for example I know that "self defense" is not a legitimate reason for having a CCW in MA.

Also, would it be easier if I had my license from another state such as Virginia?

Thank you for your help,
-Mike

Welcome to NES!

There are more than a few people here who can give you some good advice on getting your MA NR permit. But just off the top of my head, having another license besides your SD license is probably not going to help (or hinder) your MA application. Good luck!

I have my CCW from South Dakota (very simple to get) however I'm going to school in MA and am looking to get my non-resident CCW for my last year of college (next year).
You probably already know that it's a crime to carry a gun on your person on a college facility (MGL 269-10j) without unobtainable college permission, although arrests are commonly made even when the gun does not meet the criteria on "on one's person"

I've contacted the Firearms Bureau twice, however I have yet to receive the NR paperwork. My next step will be to call them in a few days and talk with a representative.
Did you write or phone? I find that an SASE can increase the chances of a response when dealing with such agencies.

I'm looking for advice on how I can better my chances of getting my Class A, for example I know that "self defense" is not a legitimate reason for having a CCW in MA.
That is not true. What is true is that some police chiefs will not issue a license for self defense, and only issue one restricted to target shooting. I don't know the current attitude regarding MA NR licensing, however, it has historically not been that bad.

Also, would it be easier if I had my license from another state such as Virginia?
Not sure, but if you will be traveling around New England, be aware that ME, NH, CT and RI issue non-resident permits, though RI is discretionary and requires an in person visit

And, one final detail......

MGL requires that you have a gun course certificate from an individual with a MA firearms instructor license (yes, there is such a thing). These certifications are readily available from multiple sources in MA and can be obtained in a single day.

Last edited:
You probably already know that it's a crime to carry a gun on your person on a college facility (MGL 269-10j) without unobtainable college permission, although arrests are commonly made even when the gun does not meet the criteria on "on one's person"

I am aware of that. I have no plans on carrying into school, but I particulary trust Boston after normal working hours. I'm also going to be renting an off-campus residence.

Did you write or phone? I find that an SASE can increase the chances of a response when dealing with such agencies.

I figure I will first try calling, and then if that doesn't work I will write a letter.

That is not true. What is true is that some police chiefs will not issue a license for self defense, and only issue one restricted to target shooting. I don't know the current attitude regarding MA NR licensing, however, it has historically not been that bad.

I wasn't aware of that. I had heard that several individuals had been turned down because they had stated "self-defense".

Not sure, but if you will be traveling around New England, be aware that ME, NH, CT and RI issue non-resident permits, though RI is discretionary and requires an in person visit

I figure I'll take it one state at a time, from what I've heard MA is one of the hardest.

MGL requires that you have a gun course certificate from an individual with a MA firearms instructor license (yes, there is such a thing). These certifications are readily available from multiple sources in MA and can be obtained in a single day.

Do you know what the current price for such a course is?

I appreciate your help,
-Michael

Do you know what the current price for such a course is?
The going rate for a "commercial course" is about $100 - They run them regularly at www.americanfirearmsschool.com. GOAL (www.goal.org) charges $85 for a member, $135 for a non-member. You can find an extensive list of instructors at http://www.fsguns.com/instructors.html.

I had heard that several individuals had been turned down because they had stated "self-defense".
This will indeed happen with some police departments. I do not know what the current level of thinking is at the Firearms Records Bureau with regards to the issuance of out of state permits.

I figure I will first try calling, and then if that doesn't work I will write a letter.
I'd suggest you send a letter now - it's easier to "forget" to follow up on a phone call than on a piece of paper, especially if there is an SASE and the person answering it has the non-resident applications available.

Last edited:
You'll have to forgive me for not asking earlier, but what is an SASE?

Is there a safer choice than "self-defense"?

Thank you for your help Mr. Boudrie.
-Mike

You'll have to forgive me for not asking earlier, but what is an SASE?

Is there a safer choice than "self-defense"?

Thank you for your help Mr. Boudrie.
-Mike

Self-Addressed, Stamped Envelope, of course.

"Restrictions: None;" i.e. the former "All Lawful Purposes per MGL c. 140, s. 131(g)" beats "self-defense" as a reason for issuance.

Gotcha, that sounds perfect.

Thanks for all your help gentlemen, I appreciate it immensely.

-Mike

Quick question. If I purchase a firearm in my state, let's say a Kel-tec .32, so long as it meets the capacity regulations, can I carry it in MA, or are there only specific handguns I'm allowed to carry?

Thank you,
-Mike

Quick question. If I purchase a firearm in my state, let's say a Kel-tec .32, so long as it meets the capacity regulations, can I carry it in MA, or are there only specific handguns I'm allowed to carry?

Thank you,
-Mike

If you are duly licensed, you can carry any handgun you want. "The List" is utterly irrelevant to that subject.

What you do need to observe is the ban on post-ban "large capacity" mags. Mere possession of them is illegal. The fact that you legally acquired them outside MA is no defense.

This is all based on the assumption of a SD resident license and a MA NR license.

So anything over the appropriate mag size I will leave out of state with family.

If I'm not mistaken it's 8 rounds in the mag, is this correct? Does it vary depending on the weapon?

Also, is there a ban on what caliber firearm I choose to carry on my person?

Thank you for your help,
-Mike

If I'm not mistaken it's 8 rounds in the mag, is this correct? Does it vary depending on the weapon?

Also, is there a ban on what caliber firearm I choose to carry on my person?

You are indeed mistaken. The capacity cap is 10 rounds, exactly the same as the old Federal law.

There is no restriction on caliber. That's RI; not MA.

You are indeed mistaken. The capacity cap is 10 rounds, exactly the same as the old Federal law.

Ah, that's better than I thought. Any limit to the number of mags I can have on my person?

Got my application form today in the mail. Do I need to wait until I'm 21 to take my firearms safety class?

Thanks,
-Mike

Thank you,
-Mike

If you have an appropriate resident or non-resident LTC, you are good to go.

As long as you have an LTC Class A and don't bring into occupied territory any post-ban large capacity magazines, you can carry any handgun you want. Since the P32 is 7+1, you have no worries in that regard.

Gotcha. Hope I'm not offending anyone, I'm just working on a minimal budget.

I don't know that your polite inquiry is even the least bit offensive. Unlike mandated firearms licensing training in other states, firearms training is taken quite seriously here.

For example, to satisfy the training requirement in Florida, all that's necessary is to have an NRA Instructor certify that you know how to load and fire a pistol or revolver. Here, the minimum training standard for and NRA course is a minimum of four to five hours for a Home Firearms Safety course, or ten hours for an NRA Basic Pistol course.

One of the most important aspects of this training is the briefing your instructor is required to give concerning the essentials of Massachusetts' firearms laws.

I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Darius Arbabi

Back
Top Bottom