Sounds like citizens in Oregon need to rediscover the 2A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pop quiz: NPR reported on this sad story because:

A) NPR wants people to realize that being able to defend yourself is essential
B) NPR wants to scare people about society breaking down unless we pay more taxes

Seems to me it's not just a 'MOAR MONEY!' thing. County budgets got a lot of their revenue through federal timber monies. Residents got a lot of their jobs harvesting that timber. Fed.gov shuts down the logging, no more timber revenue for the counties, no more jobs for a hell of a lot of people. At least that's how I understand it.

The liberal mindset is always "Pay more taxes" that will solve the problem. This "We can't do nothin" attitude pisses me off though.

Mix a little "Old" with new technology. Everyone there should be armed especially with effectively no police. Deputize a bunch of armed volunteer citizens and when there is imminent serious danger to someones life - send out a block text message to everyone on the list in the area.

Problem solved for free - you're welcome Oregon.

Perhaps another option, the dispatch uses reverse 911 (or manual dialing) and alerts neighbors to help (or not). The ex-boyfriend might spend the weekend tied to a tree until police came back on duty Monday. [thinking]

What a FUBAR situation. Clearly the issue isn't more taxes are needed: it's that the taxes that are being paid need to be distributed to essential services. And I'm not advocating that the PD should handle everything but how much will the law suit now cost the tax payers of the state? I'm assuming Oregon has paid elected officials to remedy problems like these and clearly that is not being done. Above everything else I feel badly for the poor woman that was raped. That was someone's daughter that was left to the wolves because once again, our government shows an appalling inability to do its job.

What a FUBAR situation. Clearly the issue isn't more taxes are needed: it's that the taxes that are being paid need to be distributed to essential services. And I'm not advocating that the PD should handle everything but how much will the law suit now cost the tax payers of the state? I'm assuming Oregon has paid elected officials to remedy problems like these and clearly that is not being done. Above everything else I feel badly for the poor woman that was raped. That was someone's daughter that was left to the wolves because once again, our government shows an appalling inability to do its job.

A lawsuit won't go anywhere, SCOTUS has held that the Police have NO duty to protect people.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

What does upset me is the condition our society has reached where people are taught to rely on government to provide a first-line of defense when a person is being victimized. A gun in that woman's hands would have been a whole lot more useful than a phone. The phone is useful for calling the authorities to come and remove the attacker's body. I'm no expert, but asking your attacker to leave and hiding are not high on my list of self defense options.

This has been their plan all along (to wit, welfare, housing vouchers, EBT cards, Obamaphones, Medicaid...)

It is amazing how many points of failure there were here, all of which could have been an opportunity for the woman to do something to better her life.

Obviously, she should have been armed and prepared to defended herself from home invaders, especially slow noisy home invaders who took enough time to break in that she could chat on the phone with 911 about the situation.

However, this wasn't some random guy... it was a "boyfriend" who was giving her trouble for some time already. Nowhere during this time did it occur to her "Gee, I could be in danger, let me go do something about that. Maybe I can ask a friend to teach me about guns."

And, go back in time further, and you'll get to the time when she first decided that this shitbag should become a "boyfriend". Really girl, you need some discernment in your life! What kind of an idiot meets a violent loser drunk tweaker criminal shitbag and thinks "Yeah, I want him in my life". You did it!! And no, I doubt he was initially all gentlemanly, dressed in a suit, bringing flowers and holding car doors open for her, then all of a sudden went bad. It just doesn't happen like that.

And nowhere did I mention police being a failure. Police have their uses, but in this situation their only use should have been to bag the body and file a report.

However, this wasn't some random guy... it was a "boyfriend" who was giving her trouble for some time already. Nowhere during this time did it occur to her "Gee, I could be in danger, let me go do something about that. Maybe I can ask a friend to teach me about guns."

How would that help? Somebody could get hurt or the invader could take it from her and shoot her.

She could have just prevented the whole thing by getting a restraining order. Now this ex of hers is going to have a completely avoidable blemish on his record because she refused to fill out a simple form.

How would that help? Somebody could get hurt or the invader could take it from her and shoot her.

She could have just prevented the whole thing by getting a restraining order. Now this ex of hers is going to have a completely avoidable blemish on his record because she refused to fill out a simple form.

I see your point and stand corrected. Also, restraining orders are enforced more aggressively than home invasions, so the 911 call would have worked there.

'Budget cuts' are usually made where it causes the most pain because they are made for effect to try and procure more funding. Anyone who relies on LE for their safety needs to have their head examined. They won't, and can't be there in time to save you. Moreover, they aren't there to SAVE you and PROTECT you. That's just fact!

'Budget cuts' are usually made where it causes the most pain because they are made for effect to try and procure more funding. Anyone who relies on LE for their safety needs to have their head examined. They won't, and can't be there in time to save you. Moreover, they aren't there to SAVE you and PROTECT you. That's just fact!

Fact and case law.

In a more just and friendly society, her first thought wouldn't be to call police, but to help herself and call a neighbor. But community involvement and knowing your neighbors is far less common. Self help is discouraged. People are not just unwilling to help themselves, they often think they cannot.

I find this video oddly relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom