• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sounds like citizens in Oregon need to rediscover the 2A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason people have to wake up and realise you need to protection yourself. There is no way even in good times you could have enough police to cover everyone,

The fact there not even arresting people should be enough insensitive for most anti gun people to reconsider some of there life choices on protection

Feel badly about what happened to her...but in some way, not saying her, these, I refuse to fend for myself types need bad things to happen to and around them to maybe, maybe, wake them up

Even if they had sent an officer right away, he might not have gotten there in time. That said, I am completely disgusted that the dispatcher couldn't (or wouldn't) call an off-duty deputy sheriff or statie and get him rolling.

I don't know how their county budgeting went. But it wouldn't surprise me if it went the same way our local school budgeting happens -- the superintendent moans that they need an override. If they don't get the override then they will have to cut the football team, end the arts department, and lay off teachers. They never say that if they don't get the override they will have to lay off the assistant deputy superintendent of diversity, or the 2nd assistant secretary of curriculum, or the resource director for empowerment. No, they always threaten to cut muscle instead of fat, scaring the citizens into voting for higher taxes.

Two quotes, the first from the 911 operator:

You know, obviously, if he comes inside the residence and assaults you, can you ask him to go away, or do you know if he's intoxicated or anything?

This one is from the reporter, summarizing more of the call:

TEMPLETON: The dispatcher stays on the phone with the woman for 10 minutes and 21 seconds. She tells the caller to try to hide in the house.

I can't get too upset with the dispatcher, she tried several ways to get someone to respond to help the woman. There simply was no one available to respond.

What does upset me is the condition our society has reached where people are taught to rely on government to provide a first-line of defense when a person is being victimized. A gun in that woman's hands would have been a whole lot more useful than a phone. The phone is useful for calling the authorities to come and remove the attacker's body. I'm no expert, but asking your attacker to leave and hiding are not high on my list of self defense options.

I look at it like this, if you pay no attention to your own personal defense needs, as sad as it may be, don't blame others where bad stuff happens

I think of anti gun people as you can lead a anti to water but you can't make him drink,
But wait till they are thirsty and desperate, they will go looking for the watering hole

A rare instance where Double Barrel Biden's advice would have worked! [rolleyes]
She also might have taken Michael Shermer's advice, and told him that this home invasion was almost statistically impossible. I am sure that would have resolved it. [rolleyes]
It is a good thing she did not have a gun, otherwise the situation could have turned violent. [rolleyes]

An AR would have ended this. It would also prevent the inevitable repeat when they parole him again, and he comes back again, and this time murders her.

A rare instance where Double Barrel Biden's advice would have worked! [rolleyes]
She also might have taken Michael Shermer's advice, and told him that this home invasion was almost statistically impossible. I am sure that would have resolved it. [rolleyes]
It is a good thing she did not have a gun, otherwise the situation could have turned violent. [rolleyes]

An AR would have ended this. It would also prevent the inevitable repeat when they parole him again, and he comes back again, and this time murders her.

Accurate on all points.

Guys, we're really missing the boat here. The victim could simply have gotten a restraining order. The magical force field from one of those would have kept the attacker away. [thinking]

damn... i'm a fan of Michael Shermer... i'm disappointed to have read such bullshit from such an otherwise good guy [frown]

The problem was the criminal behavior. The lack of government response is the result of political failure to appropriately prioritize the spending of scarce tax dollars.

Shining example of the government taking care of people.

I'm thinking; have dispatch announce calls over the air so that citizens who monitor scanners could make the individual choice of providing assistance for their neighbor.

Another gem from the call

"Once again it’s unfortunate you guys don’t have any law enforcement out there,” the dispatcher said, according to Oregon Public Radio.

The woman responded: “Yeah, it doesn’t matter, if he gets in the house I’m done.”

Police say Bellah choked the woman and sexually assaulted her. He was arrested by Oregon State Police following the incident.

911 Dispatcher Tells Woman About To Be Sexually Assaulted There Are No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts « CBS Seattle

Awful news.

If you're going to defund the police and sheriffs, you better be able to defend yourself. Absolutely horrendous someone wouldn't have taken the call of the clock. Was an attempt even made?

Raped and sodomized. Poor woman.

The guilty bastard deserves a grisly demise.

I have an up close view of this. Josephine County is the next one over, right over the hill. Here in Curry County, voters just voted against a levy to sustain our Sheriff's Dept. Now it IS - no if ands or buts - going to go the way of Josephine County. There's already only two or so deputies to cover the entire county during the day, and deputies have to be called in for anything at night. Convicted offenders generally don't go to jail, because the jail can't take them - the jail that might be shuttered by the end of the year. I'm fortunate to be in a city with a municipal police force, but residents of unincorporated Curry County are up the creek. We've had plenty of the same incidents already - something happens, nobody available to respond.

The problem isn't so much people being able to defend themselves - most people around here are quite well prepared for that. The problem is with no patrol, no jail, no consequences, we become a mecca for criminals. They know it's easy street, so crime goes through the roof. And even if someone finally does get there to haul away the theoretical dangerous felon that invaded your home and you may have at gunpoint, they will probably be cited and released. It's ridiculous.

And the gun laws out here - well, I have no complaint. With only a driver's license, I can go down to Fred Meyer's or Bi-Mart and buy a handgun, a few steaks, a case of beer - not only in the same store, but on the same receipt, and walk out with all of it. If I need ammo, my wife can pick it up when she goes grocery shopping. If I want a new handgun, I go buy it. And some ammo and beer. No begging for an LTC just to possess it, just a photo ID. The only license you need for firearms is for concealed carry, and it's shall-issue. Five minutes of paperwork, a photo and fingerprints, and I was out the door. The license was in my mailbox the same week.

Safe storage laws? Yeah, it's a societal norm here to have a truck gun, a bedroom gun, a living room gun. You see (not so much anymore now that the tweakers break into EVERYTHING, even right in front of people) guns in racks on the back windows of pickup trucks. The only time my new doctor out here asked about guns was recommending different holster options as a possibility for easing some of my back problems.

Awful news.

If you're going to defund the police and sheriffs, you better be able to defend yourself. Absolutely horrendous someone wouldn't have taken the call of the clock. Was an attempt even made?

Raped and sodomized. Poor woman.

The guilty bastard deserves a grisly demise.

Who would have taken the call? What's to say the only recall-able deputy was within a reasonable response time? Things are spread out here, and our L/E isn't the break balls over silly stuff type, they're members of the community that truly care. I've yet to meet a single officer out here that's anything like what I'm used to in New England.

When the 911 option fails, the 1911 (or similar) option better be ready to back it up.

Horrible situation here. Hopefully this lady can recover, and someone else who would have been a victim that you are responsible for your own safety.

What would you bet that if she shot him dead, a cop would have been there post-haste?

When the 911 option fails, the 1911 (or similar) option better be ready to back it up.

Horrible situation here. Hopefully this lady can recover, and someone else who would have been a victim that you are responsible for your own safety.

What would you bet that if she shot him dead, a cop would have been there post-haste?

From where? This isn't sequester-esque 'make it hurt' tactics - they genuinely don't have people on duty available to respond. Shooting a home invader isn't going to get a faster response than the home invasion itself. At least here in lower Curry County, Brookings PD will respond to nearby unincorporated areas for serious stuff like that. Curry County not only doesn't have the funding for patrols, but they all realize it - and officers have been resigning when jobs come up elsewhere knowing that their future is very precarious here.

You bet they are still out there to write tickets, just not to do some actual ol fashionned police work, like, uh, protecting the helpless. Why do we keep those fuggers around anyway? They aren't really good for anything anymore, exept for generating revenue.
On the other hand, those budget cuts might hve saved her dog's life Who knows?

Oregon woman calls 911 to say her ex-boyfriend, wanted by the police, is trying to break into her house. Dispatcher says that due to recent budget cuts, the police no longer respond to emergencies during evenings or weekends. Ex-boyfriend eventually breaks in and rapes her.

Loss Of Timber Payments Cuts Deep In Oregon : NPR

Depending on others, in my opinion, is disgusting and selfish. I don't depend on the police or the gov to solve all of my problems, I solve as much of them myself as I possibly can. If something is far above my capabilities (Like, a ton of stuff is stolen/house broken into and somebody takes my guns) and I can't fix it on my own, I call the necessary authorities.

I feel that any less is a waste of taxpayer dollars. Plus, it's not like they can fix all of my problems, above my capabilities or not. And if they can, who's to say that they'll be quick about it or as good at as I might be? Especially if someone's breaking in and might try to kill me.

God damn, I just can't comprehend their thinking. If someone's going to break in, I'm not calling the cops. They might break in and be able to attack me before I can even tell the popo what's happening. I'm going for the closest weapons possible, THEN phoning the police. I'll "solve" the issue before they ever arrive, or I'll be dead.

You bet they are still out there to write tickets, just not to do some actual ol fashionned police work, like, uh, protecting the helpless. Why do we keep those fuggers around anyway? They aren't really good for anything anymore, exept for generating revenue.
On the other hand, those budget cuts might hve saved her dog's life Who knows?

Nope. Outside towns with their own PD, you can drive as fast as you want on 101 at night. Unless you run into the one Statie, geography is the only thing that'll stop you from speeding. You know, the hills, sharp turns, steep cliffs, long drops into the crashing surf stuff.

And, of course, they make it sound like more money from the Federal Government would solve all of their problems.

Pop quiz: NPR reported on this sad story because:

A) NPR wants people to realize that being able to defend yourself is essential
B) NPR wants to scare people about society breaking down unless we pay more taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom