• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

someone with a gun in the Burlington Mall

i'm taking orders now, gentlemen.

umbrella.jpg

He must have had the "Gunbrella"
Be a shooter in the rain! The handle and the tip of Rifle Umbrella is designed just like a rifle gun. Looks cool and is a great gift to your friends!
OTHE010600_02_L.jpg

Too bad its Temporary Out of Stock... [sad] For $25 I want to "Look Cool" Too!

http://www.wbur.org/2011/04/19/mall-evacuation

You can see the cop trying to keep it on his shoulder as he frisks the kid

Poor kid looks scared to death....and they were clearly lecturing him based on their body language. "KID, DO YOU KNOW HOW CLOSE YOU WERE TO GETTING YOU AND YOUR DOG POPPED BY ONE OF MY TRIGGER HAPPY SWAT MEMBERS!?!?!?"

I've got a bunch of anti-gun folks on my FB friend's list... since you never let a good crisis go to waste, I've been pissing them all off over this ridiculousness.

#1 argument on their side: What if it was a gun?!

Are you kidding me? Glad we don't have to worry ourselves with identifying basic shapes and little ugly things like innocent until proven guilty.

So why did they go through his bag and frisk him exactly?

Same here. This is a VERY BAD precedent. Carrying a firearm (even a rifle) is a presumptively LEGAL activity in MA. He showed them the umbrella. Done. If he had an LTC this kid would be F'd big time. Because they would assume he had an ACTUAL rifle and that would be it. This complete and utter waste of time, resources and energy was the problem. Not the gun he may or may not have had.

Also, to everyone here. Never call the cops and admit to them you may be the one they may want to question. Call a lawyer and let the lawyer determine the best course going forward.

State Police spokesman David Procopio said the umbrella did look like a rifle when it was protruding from the man's backpack.

He praised the 911 callers for "being perceptive and vigilant and we are grateful for their call."

[angry2][banghead][angry2][banghead][angry2][banghead][angry2][banghead]

These IDIOTS are reinforcing this paranoia! The state police and/or a town PD is going to be sued for a MONSTER civil rights lawsuit if they EVER arrest someone on the basis of one of these calls.

the idiots who called this in need to be publicly flogged

It would be nice, but it's just wishful thinking....

State Police spokesman David Procopio said the umbrella did look like a rifle when it was protruding from the man's backpack.

He praised the 911 callers for "being perceptive and vigilant and we are grateful for their call."

ETA: D'oh! You just beat me to the punch!

You should contact that kid and bring a lawsuit.

He wasn't arrested. And he likely consented to the search. No, someone will have to get their reputation damaged by being arrested for actually carrying a legal gun before the required civil rights criteria are met. But believe me, this is something that once the RTC is affirmed by SCOTUS, will be brought any and all times it happens.

Our tax dollars at work.

I'm surprised nobody in the security office recognized the umbrella as a novelty item. The mall cops should have been able to take care of this.

Our tax dollars at work.

I'm surprised nobody in the security office recognized the umbrella as a novelty item. The mall cops should have been able to take care of this.

It wouldn't surprise me if the mall cops had one or two and were just bored, and wanted to see what would happen.

Back
Top Bottom