Somebody explain rimfire optics to me

Ha! We're gonna need to see the pics of this scope on your 10/22. [grin]

Yes, once this little project is finished I will post pics of the result. It's getting out of hand, no question. [grin]

These Leupolds focus to ten yards. http://www.straightshooters.com/navagationpages/allleupoldscopes.html

These Hawkes too (check to be sure): http://www.straightshooters.com/navagationpages/allhawkescopes.html

These Bushnell: http://www.straightshooters.com/navagationpages/allbushnellscopes.html

These should easily stand up to a .22 cal rimfire. The airgun people are big into AO scopes.

Good links. I checked out the Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR and it looks like a tremendous rimfire option. That's what got me thinking that the 6.5-20x50 I have might be worth trying out just to see if the side parallax adjustment can get the reticle in focus at rimfire ranges. It's way too much scope for a .22, but what the hell -- we'll see.

Bench gunners use those sun shades to keep mirage from their barrels out of their sight. I think a lot of idiots use them now because they think they look cool.
You really need adjustable objective when you get into the higher powers.

Glare if you're shooting into the sun is another reason for a sun-shade (and why they're called sun-shades) A couple years back, I was shooting in the early AM just as the sun was rising and the shooting lane was East South East, almost directly into the sun. When the sun came up, the glare completely obliterated the target. I picked up a 3" sun-shade and a "Anti-Reflection Device" for my Remington 700 with both added the glare went away unless I was aiming more than 1/2 way up the berm and the sun was still cresting. Not as effective as a full length sun-shade for thermal mirage from the barrel (air still moves in front of the scope) but very effective on glare. Putting the ARD 3" in front of the objective made it a lot more effective without having 15" of sunshade hanging off the front of the scope.

Yes, once this little project is finished I will post pics of the result. It's getting out of hand, no question. [grin]

Good links. I checked out the Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR and it looks like a tremendous rimfire option. That's what got me thinking that the 6.5-20x50 I have might be worth trying out just to see if the side parallax adjustment can get the reticle in focus at rimfire ranges. It's way too much scope for a .22, but what the hell -- we'll see.

Hope it's a second focal plane reticle or you'll block out the whole taget with the reticle when you zoom in to 20x

Bench gunners use those sun shades to keep mirage from their barrels out of their sight. I think a lot of idiots use them now because they think they look cool.

Guilty as charged. I own like 12-15" worth of sunshades for my APV. That was back when I used my 10/22 as a fun way to spend $20 and 4 hours at the range, though, and not as the tree-rat massacring death-dealing ninja weapon it is today.

Glare if you're shooting into the sun is another reason for a sun-shade (and why they're called sun-shades) A couple years back, I was shooting in the early AM just as the sun was rising and the shooting lane was East South East, almost directly into the sun. When the sun came up, the glare completely obliterated the target. I picked up a 3" sun-shade and a "Anti-Reflection Device" for my Remington 700 with both added the glare went away unless I was aiming more than 1/2 way up the berm and the sun was still cresting. Not as effective as a full length sun-shade for thermal mirage from the barrel (air still moves in front of the scope) but very effective on glare. Putting the ARD 3" in front of the objective made it a lot more effective without having 15" of sunshade hanging off the front of the scope.

You are correct. They are more for glare.

I like the Skinny Reticle on the Nikon and Leupold scopes remember your shooting a small bullet so fine crosshairs help. 3-9 power or higher if you want to see your target holes past 50 yards. I wouldn't advise scopes with the dot in the middle of the crosshair because it hides your target . You don't need to spend a fortune on 10/22 glass . It doesn't make sense to put a $800 scope on a $200 rifle.

I like the Skinny Reticle on the Nikon and Leupold scopes remember your shooting a small bullet so fine crosshairs help. 3-9 power or higher if you want to see your target holes past 50 yards. I wouldn't advise scopes with the dot in the middle of the crosshair because it hides your target . You don't need to spend a fortune on 10/22 glass . It doesn't make sense to put a $800 scope on a $200 rifle.

I hear you. However, this won't be a $200 rifle when I am done with it. [wink]

I have a ACOG on my .22, Great for shooting from 10 yards to 100

There is another way to go. One thought I had along those lines was a TR-24 from Trijicon. I really like the 1-4x concept on my AR and it is extremely practical. Plus, at that magnification, all of these parallax issues go away.

For a variable power scope a Meuller APV is great. I have 2 of them so far and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. There is one in the classifieds at a good price. I am considering it myself but may end up just putting a cheapo red dot on it

The glass on the TA11 is bright and clear enough to see .22 holes at 50 yards on a uspsa target. I use my .22 as cheap practice for my AR, so I use the same scope. No sense training on a different system.

I wish the TR-24 had a BDC on it, then it would be perfect.

For a variable power scope a Meuller APV is great. I have 2 of them so far and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. There is one in the classifieds at a good price. I am considering it myself but may end up just putting a cheapo red dot on it

This is interesting to hear, and brings the thread back to my initial question: are scopes like the APV more of a compromise or just a great solution for rimfire shooting? I am starting to think that the latter is more the case. In this niche market where a lot of rimfire shooters want high magnification, yet the target is relatively close, there is a crop of scopes that brings plenty of magnification and the ability to adjust for parallax at distances suitable for rimfire shooting. You don't see them on centerfire rifles as much because most folks are not target shooting at 50 feet with a .308, and have little need for the additional function of close-range parallax adjustment. I'll have to try out an APV to see how it compares to alternatives.

This is interesting to hear, and brings the thread back to my initial question: are scopes like the APV more of a compromise or just a great solution for rimfire shooting? I am starting to think that the latter is more the case. In this niche market where a lot of rimfire shooters want high magnification, yet the target is relatively close, there is a crop of scopes that brings plenty of magnification and the ability to adjust for parallax at distances suitable for rimfire shooting. You don't see them on centerfire rifles as much because most folks are not target shooting at 50 feet with a .308, and have little need for the additional function of close-range parallax adjustment. I'll have to try out an APV to see how it compares to alternatives.

In my opinion the APV is a good optic to use for rimfire.
The glass is clear and it tracks well. It has more than enough magnification. It's not expensive.

Back
Top Bottom