So if the weather is gonna get bad.....Now it's EVIL!

JonJ

NES Member
...what do you do?
Well, I had the day off today and was feeling blue about the coming rain. So I decided to go gun buyin'. Drove up to FSG and bought this little guy....
wasra.jpg

You sure you didn't slip into my gun room?

I've got it's twin brother and big brother.

TAPCO has a nice SAW style pistol grip, if you don't like the original one.

ETA - Everybody should have an AK.

Pistol grip will be the first thing to go! I have to put some finish on the bare wood, I'll use some Behr's 600. Then there's the trigger job and a few other mods I have in mind.

If it's a Urethane Spar Varnish, go for it. I used MinWax Spar Varnish. You won't get that corncob stock completely smooth, either. Don't worry about that, either.

Also, put a G2 Trigger in it. Single Stack will be OK. The OEM triggers are awful on you finger while shooting, I'm told. I changed mine before I shot it.

Nickle said:
If it's a Urethane Spar Varnish, go for it. I used MinWax Spar Varnish. You won't get that corncob stock completely smooth, either. Don't worry about that, either.

Also, put a G2 Trigger in it. Single Stack will be OK. The OEM triggers are awful on you finger while shooting, I'm told. I changed mine before I shot it.

The Behr's is Tung Oil Finish. I use it on most of my milsurps. I figured about 10 coats, see how it is and then maybe whack it with a sealer.

I use a Varnish Sealer, then Boiled Lindseed Oil. But then, I'm a traditionalist, anyways. But on my WASR, I used just straight Varnish, spray, about 3 or 4 coats. No matter what you do, it won't be pretty, but pretty doesn't get the job done.

yup, you're gonna want the Tapco G2 in single. Makes a world of difference. Also get the plate that replaces the retainer spring. Makes changing the trigger stuff a breeze. Battling that %^% spring will drive you nuts.
ak47.jpg

Nice looking one Jon!

Which model is that? SAR, WASR, etc.?

Actually the wood on this one is one of the prettiest that I've seen. AK's aren't known for fine furniture.

LenS said:
Nice looking one Jon!

Which model is that? SAR, WASR, etc.?

Actually the wood on this one is one of the prettiest that I've seen. AK's aren't known for fine furniture.
Thanks Len. It's a WASR-10. It came with everything pictured except the ammo. I swung over to Collector's in Stoneham to get the ammo. Carl is out of 7.62X39 but was trying to call an order in while I was there.
The wood is pretty nice. I have 2 coats of Tung oil on it, applied with #0000 steel wool. It has smoothed it out some and darkened it just a bit. It looks even better now.
I have to test fire it and if I have the trigger slap problem, I'll strip out the FCG and mod the disconnector with my Dremel.
Hmmm while the Dremel is out, that nut may be taken off the muzzle too [roll]

Here's the WASR with the wood refinished and the bolt carried blue removed and buffed. The rifle looks alot better now. I used a redish stain and 4 coats of polyurethane. Not the greatest picture but it's the best I can do inside the house.
refin.jpg

Thanks guys....I need to add an original type/color pistol grip and I'm almost there. All need after that is a Romanian 75 round drum but so far I can't get one shipped.

Nice looking rifle, I have one as well. My bolt carrier is parked. Is there a way to clean it down to bare metal? I like the way that looks.
JOhn

threejean said:
Nice looking rifle, I have one as well. My bolt carrier is parked. Is there a way to clean it down to bare metal? I like the way that looks.
JOhn

Hi John,
It was easy to do. I used Brichwood Casey Blue & Rust remover from Walmart. I wipped it on where I wanted the blueing gone, then wipped it clean. Then I took my Dremel with a stainless brush to it with some auto finish rubbing compound. It buffed up real nice.
Check out this page if you haven't already....
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/
Jon

Back
Top Bottom