• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Smith & Wesson model 19-3 .357 K frame

bigtig50

NES Member
I just came into this revolver through unfortunate circumstances and am curious about any comments from those who have owned it. I read about it but prefer people's experiences. It is in great shape except it needs cleaning badly.

Any pics? What barrel length?
I really enjoy model 19s. The k frame isn't the most enjoyable for some to constantly shoot high power 357 out of but doesn't bother me much. They are accurate and shooting 38 out of them is very manageable for accuracy.
Being a -3 it will be pinned barrel and recessed cylinder making it more desirable.
Enjoy

i had one i bought new years and years ago, a 4". i ran hot and cold on it and ended up trading it away. man, do i wish i still had it now. thinking back, i'm sure i just couldn't handle .357's thru it with the lighter k frame. live and learn, grow older and now i think about that gun often. mine had the old blue cardboard box but was neither a pinned barrel or recessed cylinder chamber model. i'm jealous. sounds like it was left by a friend who passed. a nice gift to remember them by. treasure it.

I have 3 K-frames. I think they are perhaps the best revolver ever made. Greg Derr in Marshfield did a very nice trigger job on my 19.

Get a trigger job, have the charge holes chamfered, and bob the hammer.

Just from my observations over the years, the 19-3 seems to gather more favorable comments than any other - version. Not scientific by any means but people seem to like them.

The barrel is, in fact, pinned. It is a four inch barrel. Can't wait to give it the cleaning it sorely needs and head to the range. My first impressions are that it looks good and feels great in my hand.

My first centerfire handgun was nickeled, 4", model 19. Back in the day, I shot many police combat courses with the model 19, because revolver courses were the only competitions available in my area. Don Hamilton, Gregg Derr's mentor, did the trigger work on my 19 and it was a perfect, all around handgun. Wish that I still had it. I have a model 66 now. Same gun, just stainless steel. After having shot them for 47 years now I can say in all honesty, if your going to give it a steady diet of . 357 carry ammo, it will probably loosen up a bit. Better to use a 586, or a 686 for the steady diet of .357. If shooting .38 , or 38+p and .357 only once in a while, you're good to go. If I could only have one of the two mentioned, I would choose the model 19 for sure. It's a forever keeper.

Clean her up and enjoy it.
I would never give mine up.
Accurate and reliable gun.
Mine has been along on a few dangerous game hunts.
Federal hydra shocks do a sweet job of ending the argument.

My model 19 I bought off of the officer who carried it in then70s-80s. The trigger in double action is silky smooth. In single action, like a warm knife going through butter.

It's a great piece.

I've got it's little brother, the 15-3, .38 only. It is by far the most accurate pistol I've ever had, and though I don't carry it or have a real use for it anymore, I just can't bring myself to dump it.

I've got it's little brother, the 15-3, .38 only. It is by far the most accurate pistol I've ever had, and though I don't carry it or have a real use for it anymore, I just can't bring myself to dump it.
I hear ya! I'm getting offers on it but we're developing a relationship now and I don't want to part with it!

It's been said that the lighter magnum loads may crack the forcing cone - YMMV. The guns were designed for the heavier 158 gr .357 rounds. That being said the gun can handle countless rounds of .38 and a 4" is a hell of a range gun. The K frame is my favorite by far (I own three) - enjoy it!

I don't have a K frame, but every time I shoot one of my son's, I'm amazed at how nice they are and how well I can hit with them. Just stock triggers there, smoothed by normal use rather than by any other intervention. I'll be shooting 1.5-2" groups at a certain distance with an N or L frame, then pick up my son's K frame and shoot a 1" group at the same distance. It's not the accuracy of the gun, I think, rather something else. I think the trigger pull is a little shorter than on my N and L frames, not sure, so maybe I'm getting a better surprise break.

From what I understand, the usage expectation of the K-frame magnum design prior to the 66-8 re-design (which doesn't have the weakened spot at the flat cutout for the crane that was on the forcing cone in earlier versions) was lots of .38 special punctuated with some .357 magnum (and 158 grain, as previously noted).

If you want to shoot a steady diet of full house .357, a K-frame may not be the best choice. Personally, I don’t particularly care for magnum loads. .38 +p are fine for most of my range work.

Back
Top Bottom