• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small store takes a stand

I think this is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. There's a little convenience store here in Haverhill close to where I live. I don't usually go there because it's a Citgo station and I won't buy their gas but I digress...

I went in there this morning (because they wre close) to pick up something and I see this sign over the cash regisiter. The owner will not take any Citi Corp cards for payments. I didn't get to read the whole print out (it was lengthy), but the main gist is Citi Corp is giving a Texas gun shop a very hard time and refusing to pay them their credit card payments. So, this little convenience store in Haverhill has this sign posted that starts out - "Due to Citi Corps illegal practices and their anti gun stance, we will not do any business with Citi Corp...." It then goes on to list what Citi has done.

I think that is AWESOME!! I told the owner that he just got a new customer. I still won't buy his gas, but hubby and I will go there for anything else we need.

[smile]

Hey Lynne I know the store you speak of - very nice to see they are willing to put potential sales on the back burner to stand up for what they believe in.

Hey Lynne I know the store you speak of - very nice to see they are willing to put potential sales on the back burner to stand up for what they believe in.

I think it would be an awesome idea for those of you guys who live in the area to visit them and let them know they've got our support. [smile]

CITI

The dealer is CDNN.the story is citi will not process gun sales not face to face.even if its FFL to FFL.they are holding $70,000 of funds back.
I believe it is restrant of trade.but who cares in gov.if you have an agenda whats a little thing like the 2nd amendment.especialy if the gov is in agreement with citi.[wink]--[laugh2]

While I fully support what that store is trying to do, they're going to find themselves without the ability to process ANY credit cards as soon as somebody complains about this to MC or Visa.

While I fully support what that store is trying to do, they're going to find themselves without the ability to process ANY credit cards as soon as somebody complains about this to MC or Visa.

Won't be the first gas station/convenience store that will only accept cash.

I get the feeling banks are becoming aware of people's displeasure.
I picked up my Grandson after work at his first job last week, and he asked me to take him to open a savings account at the bank in the same plaza so he could cash his check.
It was a Citibank. But I didn't want to discourage him about banks, yet. I figured, keep it simple for him to start saving. Even though I suspect it'll be more of a paycheck cashing account than a savings account.
After the woman had entered my information (as co-applicant), she began asking me if I wanted to apply for a credit card. I got as far as "No thanks. You see, I'm a licensed firearms collector and.." when she shrugged and said "Oh. OK, Never mind." I think she's been rejected before.

Not to sound paranoid, but I wish more and more places would stop accepting credit cards....I've made a conscious choice to be "that guy" in the Visa Debit Card commercials, who slows down all the fun by refusing to give access to my finances to Visa. The whole debit/credit thing is getting out of hand and sparks twinges of BB paranoia - when a time comes that if you go against the grain, they just hit enter and freeze your dough...I use cash whenever/ wherever possible. I wish there were more stores like this one - willing to stand up and say: "F-you"....

Not to sound paranoid, but I wish more and more places would stop accepting credit cards....I've made a conscious choice to be "that guy" in the Visa Debit Card commercials, who slows down all the fun by refusing to give access to my finances to Visa. The whole debit/credit thing is getting out of hand and sparks twinges of BB paranoia - when a time comes that if you go against the grain, they just hit enter and freeze your dough...I use cash whenever/ wherever possible. I wish there were more stores like this one - willing to stand up and say: "F-you"....

There's certainly no fault in paying with cash. Debit cards are the scourge of the planet, as far as I'm concerned. I do still use a credit card for convenience, but I never carry a balance on it. Even so, it does creep me out that the CC companies are selling my buying habits to anybody and everybody.

I don't know where the figures come from, but a few weeks ago the news reported that the "average" number of cc that Americans have is 9!! OMG! But then, a person could have 9 and only use one or two...that would not make for news, so may have been "left out".

Debit cards I use only locally at merchants I frequent ALOT and know well. I use it as a credit when out of town. I actually do have a regular cc that I have never used, but BoA keeps sending a replacement every year...they keep wishin...

Someone indirectly asked me last week if I ever rent cars...only for business and have a corporate cc. I don't ding people for using a cc - I used to use them. Everyone has their own "plan" about money.

OK- I'm naive here. I have a Citi Mastercard. Please send me link(s) to show me where they have issues with firearms payments, CDNN, etc. I will call them.

Debit cards are the scourge of the planet, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll get one as soon as my bank agrees to reimburse all costs associated with unauthorized use of the debit card, including check bouncing fees imposed by third parties. I'm not holding my breath.

Good for the guy at the gas station.

It looks to me like gun shops don't really like to use credit cards either.
seems wherever I shop for guns or supplies there is a cash discount for not using a credit card.

OK- I'm naive here. I have a Citi Mastercard. Please send me link(s) to show me where they have issues with firearms payments, CDNN, etc. I will call them.

It's got to be on line somewhere because the store has a copy of the letter that was sent to the gun store by Citi Corp. It states their stance and incorrectly quotes the gun control act of 1968,

CDNN has a section on their website outlining the entire affair including the original documents from Citicorp.

From what I read, Citicorp doesn't have a clue concerning the legal transfer of firearms and didn't take the time to learn either.

Here is a scan of a letter sent out.
letter.jpg

Wow- thanks. Anyone suggest other credit card companies? Actually we were thinking of switching TDBankNorth.. not sure if it's better.

Hey guys - seriously - any doumentation on the risk associated with a debit card? I almost exclusively use a debit card and never have cash on hand any more. I have one personal CC that never carries a balance (have to have some way of buying gun stuff over the internet like my new Noveske N4 Light Carbine Lo Profile which should ship on Monday !!! [smile]) and an Amex CC for work-related expenses.

As I understand it, the debit card transactions, when run as debit, are processed as ACH payments. When run as VISA transactions they travel over the VISA network and cost the merchant a bit more.

Otherwise I don't understand the risk exposure except that there is a record of the transactions and some may construe that as a risk.

Hey guys - seriously - any doumentation on the risk associated with a debit card? I almost exclusively use a debit card and never have cash on hand any more. I have one personal CC that never carries a balance (have to have some way of buying gun stuff over the internet like my new Noveske N4 Light Carbine Lo Profile which should ship on Monday !!! [smile]) and an Amex CC for work-related expenses.

As I understand it, the debit card transactions, when run as debit, are processed as ACH payments. When run as VISA transactions they travel over the VISA network and cost the merchant a bit more.

Otherwise I don't understand the risk exposure except that there is a record of the transactions and some may construe that as a risk.

I've used my debit card for gun related stuff and the place's name has been listed on my statement. I've never had a problem, nor have the companies that got paid from my bank in getting their payment. Hey...it's VISA - it's everywhere you want to be. [laugh]

Hey guys - seriously - any doumentation on the risk associated with a debit card?

Check this page out. It does a pretty good job of illustrating the risks of using a debit card vs a credit card.

boltonguy said:
my new Noveske N4 Light Carbine Lo Profile which should ship on Monday !!!

Just had to squeeze that in there, didn't ya? I'm almost as excited to see it as you are [wink]

Did I get confused? I thought boltonguy was talking about payments to gun shops and whether or not they'd be paid (as in Citi refusing to pay the Tx gun shop).

If I did misunderstand, blame it on all the damn drugs I've had to take over the past 3 weeks. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Did I get confused? I thought boltonguy was talking about payments to gun shops and whether or not they'd be paid (as in Citi refusing to pay the Tx gun shop).

Oh, maybe... Well, obviously one of us was confused, since we answered very different questions [smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
No just debit cards in general. I too am being ravaged by the flu (again) this weekend and am hopped up on meds. that can account for the lack of clarity.

And by the way, my new Noveske N4 Lo Profile Light Carbine ships Monday. Did I mention that [smile] ?

Back
Top Bottom