Skeet Shotguns

I went down to the range today to pass in my application (can't shoot there until next quarter[frown]) and as I waited for someone I was watching some people skeet shooting. I never really thought I would be too interested in something like skeet, but I have to say after watching them, it seemed like it can be a lot of fun.

I know many of you are avid skeet shooters, so I was wondering if you could give me a few suggestions on good shotguns for skeet. I'm not looking to buy the nicest one out there, but any gun that's reliable would be good.

Anything but a pump.

I recommend picking up a lightly used Remington 1100 or 11-87 to start with in either 12 or 20. It's my favorite shooting sport of all of them, and it gets addictive fast. Serious skeet guys will generally use an over/under with a tube set to step down the gauge for competition shoots where you have to shoot all 4, but that's getting you into kidney sale territory in terms of expense. Have fun!

Wait. You passed in an application and can't shoot until next quarter? Do they submit the paperwork to congress for approval. WTF!

Find a new freaking club. Thats ridiculous.

Plenty of clubs out there with public shooting on Sundays, Saturdays etc. that don't have any absurd timeframe.

Any semi will be good for a beginner. I like the Beretta 391 but it might be a bit much if you're not sure you're going to shotgun a lot. It's a great all purpose gun.

Anything but a pump.

I recommend picking up a lightly used Remington 1100 or 11-87 to start with in either 12 or 20. It's my favorite shooting sport of all of them, and it gets addictive fast. Serious skeet guys will generally use an over/under with a tube set to step down the gauge for competition shoots where you have to shoot all 4, but that's getting you into kidney sale territory in terms of expense. Have fun!

I was wondering if an 870 would work, but now I think I'll go with a semi auto

Wait. You passed in an application and can't shoot until next quarter? Do they submit the paperwork to congress for approval. WTF!

Plenty of clubs out there with public shooting on Sundays, Saturdays etc. that don't have any absurd timeframe.

Every quarter they come out with a magazine with everyone's name in it. If a member doesn't like you when they see your name, they can get you denied (never happens from what I'm told). My dad only wants to go here because it's near my house. I think they're open to the public on sunday and wednesday for skeet

Any semi will be good for a beginner. I like the Beretta 391 but it might be a bit much if you're not sure you're going to shotgun a lot. It's a great all purpose gun.

The Baretta looks nice. Should I stick to a particular brand? Would dick's be a good place to go or should I stick to 4s and collector's gallery?

Anything but a pump.

It is do-able with a pump, You just have to remember to work the action between shots when your making the swing to the next target. Dont forget, its ment to simulate (to some degree) hunting, and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there running pumps for birds.

Having done it both ways, a semi is that much easier. I prefer an O/U, but don't own one, so I just use my 12 ga semi.

The Baretta looks nice. Should I stick to a particular brand? Would dick's be a good place to go or should I stick to 4s and collector's gallery?

Beretta semi-autos are the best field/clay semis out there. Honestly, Dick's or Bass Pro are probably the places to go for them as they specialize in those guns and are able to offer much better prices. You can also check Kittery Trading Post, they usually have a few used ones on the rack.

I've used a cheap Winchester pump gun for years. Semi's are quick and they soak up some recoil. Doubles are great for a quick second shot. But I wouldn't hesitate to use a pump or anything else. When you miss you can bet its you and not the gun.

I started with an 870 with an IC choke and had a ball. Don't worry your stage mates will yell pump between birds!
It didn't take long but I upgraded to a Citori.

Their prices are insane and totally unjustified by what you get.
The A400 is pretty pricey, I'll agree. I have a base field model AL391 that cost me $700 new and it's been worth every penny.

Frankly, I think $1000+ for the Winchester SX3 and the Remington VersaMax is just as insane, though.

Don't buy a brand or a model or ANY gun until you've had a chance to try it out.

Sucessful shotgun shooting is all about the gun's fit. No fit no hit.

My kid shoots Skeet with a Winchester 1400 semi auto with a 28" barrel, or he's just started using an 1100 with a slug barrel. But the guns fit him, physically and mentally.

Go to the Skeet field, and ask the Skeeters. Most will be winning to share their toys. When you find a gun that works for you ....THEN get one.

None of the guns mentioned are bad, but it's a very personal thing. If you would not let someone pick a new pair of boots for you, don't let them pick a skeet gun for you.

I asked a similar question this spring. I ended up grabbing a lightly used 11-87 from the classifieds for a little over $400. Works great and it's versatile if I ever want to get into hunting.

A big +1 for the Remington 1100 or 1187.

For a general skeet gun 20GA is fine. 12GA opens up more options if you wanted to do any hunting or try trap.

If you're out in Western Mass drop me a line and you're welcome to try out a bunch of stuff at my club.

As someone who has shot a perfect round of skeet using a pump (all I have ever used is my trusty 870 Express), it is DEFINITELY doable. Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Just remember you have to pump. I can do doubles on report without a problem at all. Have fun!

Don't buy a brand or a model or ANY gun until you've had a chance to try it out.

I'll double up MrH's advice. My first day on trap, I tried a Beretta - did terrible, < 10. I was handed an cheapo Mossy 500 and cracked 19 in the next round. You'll know a good fit when you try it.

-after some comments here, I may give my pump a go on the skeet field
:)

I'll double up MrH's advice. My first day on trap, I tried a Beretta - did terrible, < 10. I was handed an cheapo Mossy 500 and cracked 19 in the next round. You'll know a good fit when you try it.

-after some comments here, I may give my pump a go on the skeet field
:)

I'm almost certain you'll have more fun with it than an auto or over-under. I find personally that the interaction between shooter and gun is much more fun, but that's just me. YMMV

I'm almost certain you'll have more fun with it than an auto or over-under. I find personally that the interaction between shooter and gun is much more fun, but that's just me. YMMV

I think I'd like the challenge of the pump. I like doing things the hard way. [smile]

This ^. Just curious but what club did you join? Anyways, I started skeet with a good ol' fashion 870 and have a ball with it. Although a semi would be a much better choice for real competitive use, I went with the 870 because it is a reliable pump, and I have an 18.5" barrel to swap out to make it a HD weapon. I have shot a Rem 1100 and also think that it is a great gun for skeet. It really depends on your budget. And like ARV said, skeet is definitely do-able with a pump. Some people are really against it, but IMO it helps develop the basic skills and for cheap money.

Thanks for all the advice. Right now, I would like to go with an 870 because it's cheap and can be used as a great shotgun for just shooting at the range and for skeet. It's cheap and reliable. I'll look in the classifieds and go to a few stores to see if there are any good semi's at a decent price.

This ^. Just curious but what club did you join? Anyways, I started skeet with a good ol' fashion 870 and have a ball with it. Although a semi would be a much better choice for real competitive use, I went with the 870 because it is a reliable pump, and I have an 18.5" barrel to swap out to make it a HD weapon. I have shot a Rem 1100 and also think that it is a great gun for skeet. It really depends on your budget. And like ARV said, skeet is definitely do-able with a pump. Some people are really against it, but IMO it helps develop the basic skills and for cheap money.

I ended joining Reading. I still wanted to go to harvard, but my dad refuses to make the drive. Now he's mad that neither of us can shoot until DECEMBER/JANUARY. I still do a junior .22 and hi-power but obviously he's too old. We may have to use MFL until then.

My mosin has just been sitting in the safe with it's cherry intact[sad2]

Thanks for all the advice. Right now, I would like to go with an 870 because it's cheap and can be used as a great shotgun for just shooting at the range and for skeet. It's cheap and reliable. I'll look in the classifieds and go to a few stores to see if there are any good semi's at a decent price.

I ended joining Reading. I still wanted to go to harvard, but my dad refuses to make the drive. Now he's mad that neither of us can shoot until DECEMBER/JANUARY. I still do a junior .22 and hi-power but obviously he's too old. We may have to use MFL until then.

My mosin has just been sitting in the safe with it's cherry intact[sad2]

Well when the time comes, enjoy your Mosin. Just make sure you take a couple advil before you go shooting with it [laugh]. I kid, as long as the butt stock is seated well and not on your collar bone you will be alright with the recoil.

You really cant go wrong with an 870. It is very cheap and reliable. If you do decide to go with an 870 I would recomend, at some point, an 18.5" barrel and a side saddle (assuming this will be your HD firearm). You can get side saddles for around $20, or pick up an elastic shell holder for around $5. The best part of buying an 870 is that in the next few years when you buy a better semi-auto for skeet shooting, you will never regret buying the reliable 870

Well when the time comes, enjoy your Mosin. Just make sure you take a couple advil before you go shooting with it [laugh]. I kid, as long as the butt stock is seated well and not on your collar bone you will be alright with the recoil.

I'll 2nd this. I was shooting with my grandfather in Vt, 500 yards uphill at steel plates with an M39. I was offered a hard shoulder pad to distribute the recoil, but declined. To aim at 500 off a rest, you had to have your arm almost flat on the bench, with your face almost even with the table. The 3rd shot, just as I pulled the trigger, the but slipped over to the joint of my now unlocked shoulder. I swear I watched the cocking piece drop in slow motion, never heard the report, but DID hear the crunch in my shoulder. After prancing around swearing for a few minutes and being laughed at by gramps, I took him up on his previous offer [laugh]

I'll 2nd this. I was shooting with my grandfather in Vt, 500 yards uphill at steel plates with an M39. I was offered a hard shoulder pad to distribute the recoil, but declined. To aim at 500 off a rest, you had to have your arm almost flat on the bench, with your face almost even with the table. The 3rd shot, just as I pulled the trigger, the but slipped over to the joint of my now unlocked shoulder. I swear I watched the cocking piece drop in slow motion, never heard the report, but DID hear the crunch in my shoulder. After prancing around swearing for a few minutes and being laughed at by gramps, I took him up on his previous offer [laugh]

The mosin likes tough love. It teaches not forget about what it can really do. Maybe I should just take a mosin to the skeet range and see how I do?

FWIW, I bought my 870 Exp. with the 28" barrel and I can use it for trap or skeet. I just swap chokes. You'll love it. I picked mine up new for $330 at Dick's this past January. I definitely plan on getting the 18" barrel at some point and keeping it on at all times for HD, and then when I pack up to go to the range swap it for the 28".

FWIW, my father just picked me up a Traditions by Fausti 20g O/U with an english stock for around $300 for my birthday. Not the best, certainly not the worst, but it goes to show that you could get something decent for not alot of money.

Tried skeet this morning for the first time, brought my 18" home defense pump shotgun and to be honest did fairly well for it being my first time. Now I have an excuse to pick up a semi/overunder type shotgun, the ghost ring sights were doing more harm than good [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom