• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would you rather game… tactical shotguns edition

mav

NES Member
So I’m thinking about acquiring a “tactical” shotgun. What does that mean? Rails for optics and lights, pistol grips, maybe pump or auto loader with extended magazine or maybe magazine fed.

Anyway, my short list is as follows:

1. Tavor TS12. Why first on the list? Bullpup, I love my Tavor x95, and I trust IWI to make solid products

2. Benelli M4

3. FN SLP

4. Saiga 12

5. Remington V3 or 870

6. Mossberg 500 or 930

7. Keltec KSG

Let’s play “would you rather…” What would you rather have from the above list or something not on the list. Not looking for a FUD gun. I’ve had Remington 870’s and Keltec KSG’s before. They were OK, but ended up selling them for various reasons.

Last edited:
So I’m thinking about acquiring a “tactical” shotgun. What does that mean? Rails for optics and lights, pistol grips, maybe pump or auto loader with extended magazine or maybe magazine fed.

1. Tavor TS12. Why first on the list? Bullpup, I love my Tavor x95, and I trust IWI to make solid products

2. Benelli M4

3. FN SLP

4. Saiga 12

5. Remington V3 or 870

6. Mossberg 500 or 930

7. Keltec KSG

Let’s play “would you rather…” What would you rather have from the above list or something not on the list. Not looking for a FUD gun. I’ve had Remington 870’s and Keltec KSG’s before. They were OK, but ended up selling them for various reasons.
SXP-DEFENDER-TACTICAL-ADJUSTABLE.jpeg

I recommend this. Reasonably priced and Winchesters have the smoothest PUMP!

Winchester International - Products - SHOTGUNS - PUMP SHOTGUN - A-WSXPDEFTACADJ

M2 is inertia operated and the M4 is gas operated, little to no need to clean an inertia gun. M2 is a proven design and is the most common choice for the tactical shotgun sports
I'll second the motion for an inertia gun on maintenance. I don't have a "tactical" shotgun that's inertia operated but I do have a new model a5 browning and that thing just runs......I shoot the shit out if that thing and only do a full cleaning once a year.....and when I do it's not even that dirty very easy to clean.

Hey Brother, Go with the M4. Marine Corp proven, built like a tank, runs clean ,and you can hang anything off the the front without function problems. M2 is inertia, start hanging stuff off of the fore end and it could effect the function. Don't take my word for it check around on youtube. Had a Beretta 1301, nice gun, lighter. It just felt not as durable to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    625.2 KB · Views: 41
If you ever plans to shoot shotgun matches, An M2 can handle a 12 round Mag tube out the front, I think the M4 tops out at 7

I ran a 500 and a 590 for many years.

Had a Jerry Miculek 930 that wouldn't reliably cycle birdshot, making economic training and practice difficult.

Finally settled on a 1301 and have been very happy.

If a shotgun is going to be "tactical" it has to have a light on it at a minimum.

Shotgun March 2023 Thumbnail.png

Wanted to try a VEPR style platform so I bought a Chicom clone JTS. Don't laugh.
Out of the box it went through an ammo can of assorted shot on the trap range. Did ok busting clays even tho that isn't what it's really for. No issues with it with all kinds of shells. Some ancient reloads I got somewhere, no names with the thinnest brass I've ever seen, etc.
You get the picture.

870 police (buy mine) or Mossy 590. I’m partial to 870s because I spent a lot of time learning to fix, tweak, repair the platform.

All the lights and rails are for douchebags. At best, they will slow you down. At worst, they will give away your silly position.

As the immortal Dave McCracken (THR legend) wrote-

BUY AMMO
USE UP
REPEAT

1301 for sure. Blink gas system, self cleans like the Benelli m4. Much lighter. Super reliable
Yup, I've shot it a lot and everytime I pick up my 1301 I'm still impressed with how light it is. Runs like clockwork, never had a malfunction and I've lost track of the types of loads I've put through that thing. It eats everything

trench.jpg

This is a shotgun that is actually tactical. It's all you need.

2. Benelli M4

3. FN SLP

4. Saiga 12

5. Remington V3 or 870

6. Mossberg 500 or 930

7. Keltec KSG

I am unfamiliar with most of the shotguns on your list, except for TS12, Mossbert 500/590, and Remington 870. In addition to the above-listed shotguns, I also have extensive experience with Beretta 1301. Below are my notes on the firearms. Please keep in mind that I am neither a professional reviewer nor a professional user.
  • Tavor TS-12 is heavy and unwieldy. I am a big fan of X95 and have taken multiple courses explicitly designed for X95, including the IWI Academy multi-day course. TS-12 is nothing like X95. Where X-95 is easy to maneuver, TS-12 is not. Where X-95 is easy to load, TS-12 is not. I view TS-12 as a range toy instead of a tactical self-defense weapon.
  • Mossberg 500/590 is the easiest to handle and shoot. The location of the safety is perhaps the ideal location for ANY shotgun or rifle out there. It is effortless to run fast and will eat any ammo you throw in it. The downside is that it has no gas operating system, resulting in significant recoil if compared to semi-auto shotguns. Overall, it is the least expensive tactical shotgun you can have.
  • Remington 870 has all the advantages and disadvantages of a Mossberg. The only difference is the location of the safety, which is not ideal on the Remington. Other than that, it is virtually identical to Mossbert.
  • Beretta 1301. In my opinion, this is the best tactical shotgun for the money. It is relatively inexpensive(think half the price of Benelli M4). The gas system is bulletproof. Recoil is very manageable. I have taken an OnSite Tactical Shotgun course and bought the cheapest ammo I could find. It ran flawlessly! If you have taken an Onsite firearms course, you know that they go pretty hard. Also, the chief instructor ran a Beretta 1301 as well.
I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom