Would you rather game… tactical shotguns edition

I filled the same need with a TS12. Already dug the X95 and had been looking forward to its release. Short for CQB and yet still 15+1 rounds in semiauto, automatically chambering the first round of a new tube when rotated on an open chamber. And the option to rotate tubes at any time and potentially change slug/bird/buckshot. I just load 16 rifled slugs for a pound of lead. You wouldn't speedload it in a competition but capacity is plenty for home defense. The three mag tubes do make it a gray area in Mass -- only one of the three dealers I spoke to was willing to stock it. Bonus for people at the range thinking it's something from Starship Troopers.

TS12 w: additions.jpeg

Not looking for a FUD gun.
wondering what a "FUDD gun" is exactly. can't say i'm being dazzled by the nomenclature.
I’ve had Remington 870’s and Keltec KSG’s before.
are these "FUDD guns?" if you're not interested in them why did you put them on your short list? i'm going to say i'm a fudd then cause i only have experience with the 870. why is that? i dunno, cause they work, and work very well. i still use one as a house gun. it wears an 18" bbl. when i bought it i threw a mag extender on it as well as one of those shell caddies that rock 6 extra rounds off the side. is this a fudd tactical shotgun? looking killier doesn't make the perp any deader but the gun looks cooler, doesn't it?

i bought mine used at a local shop 35 years ago. before i got it, it rode in the trunk of a burlington pd patrol vehicle for a good many years. i posted about it once before.
like a lot of people, i use an 870. the gun was 30 years old when i got it, a police turn in and i've owned it for 30 years. pretty tired looking but functions. 18" bbl and no fancy do-dads...no pistol grips, night sights, no red dot optics, no laser, no magpul replacement stocks or rail system. just a bead on the muzzle end and i splurged on a cheap 6 shell cloth carrier saddle for the rear stock. i paid $145 in 1990.

my criteria was 1. pump 2. had to be cheap 3. function. why cheap? cause after you need to use it to defend yourself, it's going to be confiscated, tossed around, and you'll probably never see it again, or if you do, it will be in a very long time. why tie up a ton of dough for a single purpose shotgun needlessly? tacticool is cool, but do you need to spend that money...only you can answer what you need, not what you really want.
the stock is very tacticool (translate to FUDD) to me. butt end has no checkering and forend is the classic remington tootsie roll style. so i suppose i'm a fudd. and going out on a limb, i'd say i have a bunch of fudd shooting buddies cause a lot of them get a kick out of shooting the fudd gun and continually ask if i can bring it out to the range when we hook up.

wondering what a "FUDD gun" is exactly. can't say i'm being dazzled by the nomenclature.

are these "FUDD guns?" if you're not interested in them why did you put them on your short list? i'm going to say i'm a fudd then cause i only have experience with the 870. why is that? i dunno, cause they work, and work very well. i still use one as a house gun. it wears an 18" bbl. when i bought it i threw a mag extender on it as well as one of those shell caddies that rock 6 extra rounds off the side. is this a fudd tactical shotgun? looking killier doesn't make the perp any deader but the gun looks cooler, doesn't it?

i bought mine used at a local shop 35 years ago. before i got it, it rode in the trunk of a burlington pd patrol vehicle for a good many years. i posted about it once before.

the stock is very tacticool (translate to FUDD) to me. butt end has no checkering and forend is the classic remington tootsie roll style. so i suppose i'm a fudd. and going out on a limb, i'd say i have a bunch of fudd shooting buddies cause a lot of them get a kick out of shooting the fudd gun and continually ask if i can bring it out to the range when we hook up.
You seriously never heard of Elmer Fudd? Wood furniture, an over/under or double barrel, bead sight, etc. Something one might find bird hunting, skeet or trap shooting, etc. Nothing particularly wrong with them as there are some beautiful and certainly expensive shotguns out there, but that's not what I'm looking for.

d.150951683.1614870.s3.1-f5f5f5-bm9uZQ-800x800.jpg

When I said "Tactical", I was thinking more along these lines... ghost ring sights, top rail for a red dot, black furniture, pistol grip, etc.

yiBhH.jpg

Last edited:
Pump is going to be more reliable, I can't go for a semi auto unless it's something like an AA-12. Pump also gives you possibility of running minishells and upping the tube capacity.

I do think the Tavor is a good semi auto shotgun, but it is large, heavy, and expensive.

So, I would go Mossberg 590 or KSG.

I don't like shotguns for combat tho, survival yes, but that'd be with a .410. Home defense, sure, but it doesn't need to be tactical, a Maverick 88 with a light and red dot would do fine.

I’ve got a Benelli M3. Because it came available without warning for a price I couldn’t say no to. Pistol grip tactical stock like in that John wick picture. Ghost ring sights. Inertia operated in semi automatic, twist of the front cap of the forend, turns it into a pump action. Tried mini shells, and that was a no go. Even in pump action. Everyone that tries it falls in love with it.

Remmington Wingmaster 870 I am talking about an old wingmaster when they really made a good shot gun cut to 18.5 add an extended magazine, synthetic stock no pistol grip (pistol grips just change the point dynamics of a pump shot gun) there are lots of rails and mounts available, however optics should not be needed for a close range cylinder choke tactical shot gun it's not like you are going to shoot trap you will be shooting at short distance not even have to aim. Other options would be a Bennelli M1 Super90 18 1/2 or 20 inch, extended magazine tube, synthetic stock with a pistol grip. This is an inertia operated gun not gas so it is a very reliable semi auto shot gun, however if you are planning to use 7 1/2 or 8 shot light loads you will have to respring the gun. It is a good thing that assorted springs are available. I would suggest to spring down and be able to shoot anything without worry these guns are really built and won't beat themselves to death. One other suggestion an ithaca deer slayer 20inch barrel. This gun is a little harder to do a extended magazine however if you are clever it can be done by you or a gunsmith can do this for you. These guns are very inexpensive and built like a tank and really worth a look and as a bonus this gun ejects from the bottom and is a great choice for left handed shooters. There are a lot of rails and mounts available, however not very many stock options.
These are my suggestions if you have any questions please contact me.

Last edited:
Mossberg 590A1. I have owned many shotguns, including 870s, KSGs, and others, but sadly no Benellis, and I have to say my 590A1 has performed above and beyond. I've taken it through several classes, it's never once let me down except in the beginning when I took it directly from the box to a class without cleaning it first. I also have a 500 with the adapter for mini shells, and those two are the only ones I've kept through the years. I would like a Benelli M4 but I don't know if it would replace my 590 for tactical use. I've dropped it deliberately in mud and snow, and kept going.

2nd'ed

I have the grand pappy of this one.

But recently I was thinking of the hybrid Benelli M3.
Semi auto and pump.
Nope! I have heard nightmares about that mixed action thing hacking itself into a jam.

M2>M4 (by a hair?) > 870 > Mossy 930.

M2 is my holy grail for any use case I am likely to have the skills or the wallet to survive.

I also may or may not have shown up to a shotgun (casual stages at a private range) course with an ancient 870 express with a turkey barrel, IC, mag extension, flashlight and sling.

While I did get laughed at... I won the 100 yard slug challenge!

I got to fire some well-setup M4 s and a 3-gun tuned M2 that day. While I enjoyed the slightly softer M4, the M2 just felt somehow more consistent.

not sure a pistol grip has anything to do with it on a shot gun

shotguns exempt from AWB

Section 121​

"any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine."
I laughed when I read that in the AWB stuff. The engineer in me (fine... Maybe the petulant 4-year-old) immediately wants to know if it's five fixed plus five detachable. Or five overall total, or five ... Oh .. nevermind. Is the chamber a magazine. Is ghost loading a magazine. What the heck.

To me, that tube which you can attach or detach with the same tool you swap out chokes with is "detachable". I'm sure there is a "readily removable with the twitch of you our left butt cheek" stanza somewhere... But wah!

My +3 is a fugging detachable magazine tube!

My next purchase will likely be a Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical.

7+1 and factory cut for an RMS-C micro dot that co-witnesses with the front fiber post. One of the biggest perks is the tang safety for a leftie shooter it's pretty much boss level compared to any crossbolt safety. If Mossberg gave Beretta the patent license to do something similar, I'm all for Beretta but until then, us lefties have an obvious choice.

My next purchase will likely be a Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical.

7+1 and factory cut for an RMS-C micro dot that co-witnesses with the front fiber post. One of the biggest perks is the tang safety for a leftie shooter it's pretty much boss level compared to any crossbolt safety. If Mossberg gave Beretta the patent license to do something similar, I'm all for Beretta but until then, us lefties have an obvious choice.
I'm intrigued by this and look forward to hearing about your experience with it.

I had a bad impression of a 930 that would not run reliably and got rid of it.

I've been running a 1301 for the last few years, but as a lefty I could really benefit from the tang safety.

M4 pistol grip off the rack and grab the field stock for it. All around beast. If I had to pick another, I'll take the 90.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20221027_195917.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20221027_195917.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom