• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Skeet/trap is fn fantastic.

I need to get back out there. It's been too long.

-Never shot skeet. I'd assume a more open choke than trap?

Yep
Great courses there. There was a BBQ nearby called Grumpys that is worth a stop into after.
Thanks!

Always nice to have a referal for BBQ joints in the area!

We are heading down in April for the Aaron Lewis show and will be adding this to the to do list.

I need to get back out there. It's been too long.

-Never shot skeet. I'd assume a more open choke than trap?
For sure- I learned the hard way using a full choke- but I suppose I’m a decent shot because I still hit some incredibly hard shots…albeit not often. The ideal choice is a skeet choke which is just slightly more constricted (.005) than the cylinder. The clays zip by fast. A constricted choke is near impossible with wobbles.

For trap I did quite well with the full choke but I did let the clays get out there a bit- I’m going to try modified next time- more room for error.

And @Broc - No fudd life here- and the guys at andover seem to really not be fudds - even if they dress the part!

Last edited:
You try using a shotgun? Much easier!

Let me know when you want to try it again, I'll meet you at Independent. I've shot trap and skeet there.
🤣🤣

Sounds like a plan, when the weather gets a little better. Only shotgun I have is a Mossy500 pump so will probably have to rely on you to bring a gentleman’s shotgun to the party.

🤣🤣

Sounds like a plan, when the weather gets a little better. Only shotgun I have is a Mossy500 pump so will probably have to rely on you to bring a gentleman’s shotgun to the party.
Cool, for Trap a pump is fine. Toss in a full choke.

I'll bring a spare shotgun and you can try my Benelli.

🤣🤣

Last time I shot trap I got the "look" when I showed up with a Remington 870. Nobody said much when I got lucky and popped a 23 on my first round.

Honestly, a Mossberg 500 is fine as long as it has a full sized stock and a decent length barrel. Don't worry about what the Trap Snobs think.

Last time I shot trap I got the "look" when I showed up with a Remington 870. Nobody said much when I got lucky and popped a 23 on my first round.

Honestly, a Mossberg 500 is fine as long as it has a full sized stock and a decent length barrel. Don't worry about what the Trap Snobs think.
LOL......sounds like a "stuffy" trapezoid club. Yuck.

I went on Saturday and we get a few skeet guys that are "high end" and only come on Saturdays and dont know me very well.

During the week, I bought a 380 dollar, full camo Impala Plus 24" turkey gun and threw in a skeet choke before the round, and had never shot the gun before.

I got a few looks of disdain at my short barreled camo turkish shit autoloader, until I ran the fricking course with it and shot 25 straight......loved the look on their
faces after that.

I'll be honest, after that it did make me question why I own all these fricking nice O/U's!

If you think Trap and Skeet are fun, Try some sporting clays. Some of the courses are pretty cool and makes for a nice walk in the woods

One of the places I went to, they had the clay come out of windows of ruins or over water.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKqTNgrBCQ

The best thing about sporting clays is the variety of it and the fact that if you suck at one station you'll quickly get a chance to try again at another one. It is basically golf with
shotguns. There's also enough variability in the middle that on any given day an average or above average shooter can swing above their weight and pull out a win or place
higher. With trap, someone misses a handful of birds and they're basically done. The fact that the target presentations are all over the place in SC is a bonus too.

Plus there is nothing better than getting a station where the birds sometimes cross or arc as a flight in a double and you can blow up two with one shot. [laugh]

LOL......sounds like a "stuffy" trapezoid club. Yuck.

I went on Saturday and we get a few skeet guys that are "high end" and only come on Saturdays and dont know me very well.

During the week, I bought a 380 dollar, full camo Impala Plus 24" turkey gun and threw in a skeet choke before the round, and had never shot the gun before.

I got a few looks of disdain at my short barreled camo turkish shit autoloader, until I ran the fricking course with it and shot 25 straight......loved the look on their
faces after that.

I'll be honest, after that it did make me question why I own all these fricking nice O/U's!

Where I shoot sporting clays nobody gives a shit. (Green Mountain, in NH). The owner actually loves it when people show up with goofy shit like Saigas, other tactical shotguns,
etc. I shot a few stations with a Remington Tac 13 once (basically a shockwave, but semiauto with a pistol brace thing). We also had guys blowing up birds with registered SBSes and
that kind of thing. Obviously the weird guns suck for tough shots but its fun once in awhile.

We also have a crew of people that we shoot with that will run a cornocopia of bird guns, from $300 chinese or Turkatron specials (think Tristar?) etc. all the way up to $2K Berettas, Benellis, and once in awhile more exotic stuff than that. Nobody cares. Run what you brung, etc. Once in awhile one of my friends will shoot one of those ancient pre WWII winchester pump shotguns too for S+G's just to see how it works. One day he legit shot in the high 70s with that thing. Even did well on pairs.

Love me some skeet but my work schedule doesn't let me get out much.

I blame Mr. Happy for my enjoyment, he taught me to shoot. I too have a Turkish gun that people snub their noses at, but the difference is I shoot like 12 and not in a row.

Practice makes perfect, I got no time to practice at the moment. If I ever get the chance though I'm showing up to green mountain with my 870 wingmaster complete with bayonet just to f*** with people.

Where I shoot sporting clays nobody gives a shit. (Green Mountain, in NH). The owner actually loves it when people show up with goofy shit like Saigas, other tactical shotguns,
etc. I shot a few stations with a Remington Tac 13 once (basically a shockwave, but semiauto with a pistol brace thing). We also had guys blowing up birds with registered SBSes and
that kind of thing. Obviously the weird guns suck for tough shots but its fun once in awhile.

We also have a crew of people that we shoot with that will run a cornocopia of bird guns, from $300 chinese or Turkatron specials (think Tristar?) etc. all the way up to $2K Berettas, Benellis, and once in awhile more exotic stuff than that. Nobody cares. Run what you brung, etc. Once in awhile one of my friends will shoot one of those ancient pre WWII winchester pump shotguns too for S+G's just to see how it works. One day he legit shot in the high 70s with that thing. Even did well on pairs.
My club is very similar......only some days we get some stuffy guys...the average crew is not that way. Personally I own and shoot a cornucopia of guns at skeet, from a 100 dollar pump, to a 2500 dollar O/U on any given day, and would never look down on anyone no matter what they shoot.

Run what you brung. F anyone that looks down on a field gun.

I generally use a pre-WWII Browning A5 Frankengun, and my kid started out with my dad's Winchester 1400, and ran his first 25 when he was nine. [laugh]

Best thing about using a $250 gun? You don't worry about it getting rained on!

Back
Top Bottom