• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Would you rather game… tactical shotguns edition

Tavor TS-12 is heavy and unwieldy.
Anyone ever try these Assault-Riffffle-Style shotties?

I was in a shotgun class last October.

While watching the guy shoot Tavor, the manipulations did not seem to be very ergonomic or user friendly.

Tavor TS-12 shotgun.jpg

The guy shooting the AR style shotgun (not positive of the make) had trouble with reliability.

AR style shotgun.jpg

I've had a Benelli Supernova Tactical since 2010 - favorite pump ever. The standard stock does a great job soaking up slug recoil, also available with pistol grip stock. Either ghost ring or rifle sights. It uses a variant of their inertial rotating bolt that unlocks on firing, makes it really easy to cycle.

wm_4419993.jpg

• Mossberg 500/590 is the easiest to handle and shoot. The location of the safety is perhaps the ideal location for ANY shotgun or rifle out there. It is effortless to run fast and will eat any ammo you throw in it. The downside is that it has no gas operating system, resulting in significant recoil if compared to semi-auto shotguns. Overall, it is the least expensive tactical shotgun you can have.
  • Remington 870 has all the advantages and disadvantages of a Mossberg. The only difference is the location of the safety, which is not ideal on the Remington. Other than that, it is virtually identical to Mossbert.
keep this in mind if you are considering a pistol grip, the Mossberg safety position is not ideal for it.

The problem I have with pistol grips on shotguns is ergonomics for me. I've got long arms, the stocks on the 870s I used to shoot were short 'tactical' stocks and that put my shoulder in an odd position. If I could get a tactical shotty with a M4 style stock that I could adjust, I'd be more willing to use one.

Long day on the range without being able to really seat the gun into my shoulder solidly sucks. It'd work for a 'bad day' in life, but a day of training was painful.

keep this in mind if you are considering a pistol grip, the Mossberg safety position is not ideal for it.
I believe that they move it to a cross bolt style. At least they did so on the SA-20.

Which btw isn’t a horrible recommendation if op has a wife or gf that might need it at some point. The recoil is nothing compared to a 12 gauge.

M2. Non pistol grip and an extended mag tube.

I’m very happy with mine.
For a tactical shotgun, non-pistol grip stock is key as it allows you to put an extended mag tube on it in MA. I like the M2 tactical with choke tubes and ghost ring sights. I know some reviews say they can jam on light loads....I have not had that happen.

For a tactical shotgun, non-pistol grip stock is key as it allows you to put an extended mag tube on it in MA. I like the M2 tactical with choke tubes and ghost ring sights. I know some reviews say they can jam on light loads....I have not had that happen.
What is the MA rule regarding pistol grips and “extended magazines” on shotguns?

What is the MA rule regarding pistol grips and “extended magazines” on shotguns?
I don't think it matters if it's pump action. Semi auto is restricted to 5 if you have a pistol grip.

Another vote for M4

not sure a pistol grip has anything to do with it on a shot gun

shotguns exempt from AWB

Section 121​

"any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine."

“any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine."

Based on that language, I’ve tried without success to find a MA dealer who would sell me one of the Turkish semi-auto bullpups. Apparently since it has 2 evil features it’s still banned.

All the lights and rails are for douchebags. At best, they will slow you down. At worst, they will give away your silly position.
The majority of the worlds militaries would strongly disagree with you. Just because you don’t understand how those systems work doesn’t mean the professionals don’t know what they’re doing.

Nothing wrong with old school blasting with irons and wood if that’s what you prefer, but your statement wreaks of complete and utter lack of experience on the subject, making who the douche bag?

Garand Thumb has a pretty good YouTube review of it

View: https://youtu.be/sDIUgeOzCDM

TFB TV did a 500 round burn-down with a 1301 as well and it passed with flying colors.
I have a 590 and while I love my Mossy pump action, the 1301 is difficult to beat at this point, the M4 being it’s only real competitor at a higher price, heavier, though battle tested to no end. If I had the money, I’d have both.
Toss a red dot on top and some velcro shot cards on the side and you have an awesome setup for a decent price, if you can find one.

View: https://youtu.be/RI9wCsFKW9E

The majority of the worlds militaries would strongly disagree with you. Just because you don’t understand how those systems work doesn’t mean the professionals don’t know what they’re doing.

Nothing wrong with old school blasting with irons and wood if that’s what you prefer, but your statement wreaks of complete and utter lack of experience on the subject, making who the douche bag?
Soccer moms who buy expensive toys and go to camp are still soccer moms.

I’ve used and trained with most of the bells and whistles. Unless you’re a professional (the OP is not), you’ll never be in a position to need, utilize or maximize the incremental advantage the bells and whistles may buy you. If your a gamer, have fun.

I’ve used and trained with most of the bells and whistles. Unless you’re a professional (the OP is not), you’ll never be in a position to need, utilize or maximize the incremental advantage the bells and whistles may buy you. If your a gamer, have fun.
You just proved my point again.

While I’m not a “pro”, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. I also happened to have been an 11B in the Army in a former life. I know my way around a red dot and tactical light. I also shoot more now than I ever did while in the Army. Hell, I can probably break down, assemble and function check my AR’s faster today than I did in basic on the M16/M4.

Why do I want a shotgun? Why not? My current preferred CQB/house clearing weapon is my SBR 9mm CZ Scorpion (with a red dot and light), though my Tavor X95 is a close second. A shotgun would be a nice addition and something my wife is familiar with from work if she ever needed to grab something from the safe.

Last edited:
Shotguns are a blast (literally) and deliver a devastating amount of power at home defense ranges.

I’m with the 1301 guys. It’s light, fast and reliable. You can also get them with or without a pistol grip, whatever your preference is.

You could get a 1301 and dress it out for your needs for the same cost or less than an M4 straight.

I ran a 500 and a 590 for many years.

Had a Jerry Miculek 930 that wouldn't reliably cycle birdshot, making economic training and practice difficult.

Finally settled on a 1301 and have been very happy.

If a shotgun is going to be "tactical" it has to have a light on it at a minimum.

View attachment 738369

love your purse

not sure a pistol grip has anything to do with it on a shot gun

shotguns exempt from AWB

Section 121​

"any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine."

pump shotguns are exempt, not semiautos. semiauto + pistol grip + > 5 rds = AW

Back
Top Bottom