sig vs glock vs m&p

so i shot a sig 226 in 9mm for the first time this weekend and i think i may have fallen in love with it

i was originally going to get a glock 17 but after having shot the sig i think i may have to reconsider

i was originally gonna get an m&p in 9mm simply because they are cheap and you can get the extra mags with the current promo but then i wasnt sure if i wanted to give up the extra mag capacity of the glock

when i shot the sig this weekend i think it may be the answer to my problem...15+1 and it felt awesome in my hands

the question is are all models available in MA? i'd like the blackwater or equinox edition but are they MA legal? also...are the mags interchangeable with beretta 92 mags? the 15 round mag looked alot like my beretta mags but i didnt have a beretta on hand to actually compare...if so then THAT alone would be the selling point for me

the question is are all models available in MA? i'd like the blackwater or equinox edition but are they MA legal?

No. Just the P226, P226R, P226-ST, and probably the two tones. No
special editions, unless you find a deeler that doesn't care.

also...are the mags interchangeable with beretta 92 mags? the 15 round mag looked alot like my beretta mags but i didnt have a beretta on hand to actually compare...if so then THAT alone would be the selling point for me[

No, they're not the same as 92FS mags. P226 mags are pretty easy
to get though, overall. (I presume you're talking about 9mm ones.... the ones in 40 or .357
sig are a lot harder to find... and more than likely they're also illegal in MA, because I don't think the
P226/40 and 357 versions even existed before the ban. )

-Mike

Last edited:
For whatever it's worth, this has been my evolution over the years: the Sig 226/9mm was my first pistol, then I added a Sig 220, then I went on a Glock tear. I still enjoy Sigs and Glocks, but when I compete in IDPA, I shoot my nifty new full-sized M&P 9mm.

Last edited:
to each their own

I had a glock G22 in 40, not a gun i liked and sold it. I bought a used
Sig 226, and LEO turn in. I changed the grips and it a real great gun.

I also changed the sights to a rear adjustable and its a favorite.

Get the Sig and don't look back, don't go cheap on the mags you'll
regret it.

I borrowed a freinds new Sig 226, i don't like it, it feels different
and shoots different.

JimB

For whatever it's worth, this has been my evolution over the years: the Sig 226/9mm was my first pistol, then I added a Sig 220, then I went on a Glock tear. I still enjoy Sigs and Glocks, but when I compete in IDPA, I shoot my nifty new full-sized M&P 9mm.

My first centerfire handgun was a 226 too! Went thru Glocks and now love the M&Ps also. Don't forget the love for 1911s!

My previous favorite defensive pistol was a Sig. Never liked the Glocks because they really didn't fit me right. Now I've tried the M&Ps and they are the new top dog.

You really can't go wrong with any of them. As long as they fit you and you are comfortable with each's little quirks, any one of them is a good choice. My biggest reasons to go with the M&P over the Sig is the lighter weight and the lower bore axis (less felt recoil)

As for the 1911, I love it. I have a minor issue getting a good grip, but the field strip for cleaning is a royal PIA.

My preferences are for the mid-sized and baby Glocks and most Sigs, for the same reasons listed above. They fit me. The new M&Ps just do not seem to fit me as well. I've not been impressed with the few I have handled, but others seem to love them. In the end, it's what fits you and how well you can shoot it that counts.

Bloodhound,
The Sigs are great guns, as I have recently discovered. I have both the P226 and P229 and haven't decided which I like better. Right now, the P229 seems to shoot better for me but I like the size of the P226 and the way that it feels.
The MA State Police Tactical guys were at my range qualifying today and they all wished they could trade their new Sigs with the DAO short reset triggers back for their old DA/SA Sigs. Despite this, they are pretty proficient with the new guns.

CrossX,
Everyone seems to be going gaga over the M&P these days. I'm betting that once the fad of the M&P wears off your evolution will continue and you'll find yourself back to the Glocks. They are tried and true and have stood the test of time. :)
Now if only those 1911s would catch on...

-Cuz.

M&Ps are here to stay for a while, esp when more LEOs start using them, it will be like another glock craze once they start crankin out more models and a variety of calibers. But just buy all three, yes 3, because after you get one, you know your going to do smoe thinking and then later on down the road buy another and another, so just save yourself some time and money (through price increases, and believe me there will be more) and grab all three :)

CrossX,
Everyone seems to be going gaga over the M&P these days. I'm betting that once the fad of the M&P wears off your evolution will continue and you'll find yourself back to the Glocks. They are tried and true and have stood the test of time. :)

-Cuz.

Cuz,

For some of us, the Glocks just don't fit.

My 9MM of choice is a Sig 226. It is an older model I had converted to DAO as I prefer it over the DA/SA. Wisk I could have a DAK but not here not yet.

My 40S&W of choice is a S&W M&P. For a MA approved gun, I feel capacity is a second choice to fit and function. 11 rounds of 40S&W should be plenty inless you plan to use it for competition in USPSA Limited division. For carry, IDPA, USPSA Limited 10 or Production, 11 rounds works if you do your part.

Glocks have never been good to me. I have had several and never had the right fit. They all went to someone else that would appreciate them.

1911s are great firearms and have a proven record but as much as I love them, I no longer own any and probably never will again unless I do something with the Caspian frame and slide I have [wink]

I've owned several Glock pistols over the years, both new and used. While one can not argue with the Glock reliability record, I just can not get past the "cheap" feel of the Glock. The M&P has a better, more substantial feel and a Sig is even better than that.

As far as 9mm

1) Sig (East German) Higher Quality Manufacturer
2) M&P - I prefer over a Glock anyday. Yes Glock has a reliability record. I'd rather have S&W Customer Service and a time proven warranty. Also rather have a Gun that feels natural in hand.

Glocks are what they are and I don't consider them Perfection. I don't even compare Glocks to names like Kimber, HK, and Sig. Their company goals and products are a totally different class.

guys thanks for all the responses!

my main goal is to get the pistol with the best shootability (is that a word?)

i love my glocks! and i only carry glocks because for me it fits me the best and carries more naturally than other guns...however when it comes down to shooting it...im not sure whether its the grip angle, or my grip on the gun...but i cant get as good a grouping as i can with certain other pistols

up until recently i considered my kimber my favorite pistol because i could shoot the lights out with it...but after shooting the 226 and achieving overlapping holes in my target i was extremely impressed with the accuracy, and feel of the gun

the m&p's feel "slippery" almost in my hand...does anyone else find that? i have yet to shoot an m&p so i cant make my final decision until i do

for some reason i shoot better with my all steel guns (berettas and 1911s) than i do with my polymers (glocks and hks)

i also wanted something in 9mm cuz of course the rising ammo costs and i dont reload so if i can feed it for less money its more appealing

the m&p's feel "slippery" almost in my hand...does anyone else find that? i have yet to shoot an m&p so i cant make my final decision until i do

I agree. The polymer felt funny to me too. I've shot these a few times at S&W. They point and shoot fine for me, but not better than my G22. The triggers were not better either, but the G22 has thousands of rounds through it, so it's nice and broken in now.

All in all, I'd stick with the Glocks or Sig for reliability alone.

Matt,

I have a M&P in 9mm. You are welcome to try it out anytime. Just let me know when you want to go. I am positive I will see you at FS real soon.

John

Matt,

I have a M&P in 9mm. You are welcome to try it out anytime. Just let me know when you want to go. I am positive I will see you at FS real soon.

John,

thanks! ill definately take you up on that! haha and yes...you'll see me friday!

As far as 9mm

1) Sig (East German) Higher Quality Manufacturer

A minor nit.... SigSauer was a -West- german manufacturer before unification.

Pre-unification guns were marked "w.germany" post unification guns are simply
marked "germany".

-Mike

I can agree that Glocks have a different fit and aren't for everyone... however.. I honestly can't see how anyone can question their quality and reliability. They are reliable as hell and although they are poly- they are great quality IMHO.

Thx on the correction Mike I got it mixed up with the old Walther plant. I don't knock Glocks or their reliability at all. Going by their slogan I just don't consider them "Perfection" and thats just my opinion.

Glock produces alot of guns and alot of people have them besides LE. Where most in the Gun population don't have a Kimber or HK. For most states Glocks are affordable and HK, Kimber and Sig are more money. Just like a M&P is a great price new Vs getting a more expensive used 3rd Gen Glock in Mass, its a great alternative and a Poly gun with a different feel.

This is just how I felt from working at a shop/range in California which carried many manufactures including: Beretta, Browning, Colt, Glock, Heckler & Koch, Kimber, Para Ordnance, Remington, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Taurus and More. Also they had everything from Rock Islands, Kimber TLEIIs, XDs to Mark23s for range guns.

In the end its all preference like a car is and you test drive before you buy.

CrossX,

-Cuz.

Although I love my G30, unless my hand grows, I won't go to back to paying $700 for a 20 year old glock, when I can pick up a new MP for $500.

Back
Top Bottom