Shrapnel... "I've been Hit!!!"

As a new pistol shooter i have been loving the plates at the HSC and have been shooting them on every trip. I'm shooting the steel more now that .22 is allowed at the subgun range.

Based upon the apparent frequency of this occurring I'll now know better than to post a thread of my first experience and following over reaction.

I will however start parking my car farther away.

I've seen some of the huge sharp chunks of .45 behind the firing line at the plate range that someone else mentioned. They would be heavy enough to give me a scare if one bounced off of me.

could you PM me some info about the simunitions class? that sounds pretty awesome.

yeah they can be very fun but most importantly they are realistic as far as understanding what cover is and how to use it. We normally use Miles Gear for our force on force training and limited scope stuff but when we go to Instructor school we get to play with the simunitions depending on the recert we are getting. Smith & Wesson puts on a great class using simunitions. That stuff hurts like hell. But it certainly makes you learn how to use cover. [smile]

As far as the shrapnel with the guy at the range is concerned, about a month ago my Son and I were at the club in Deerfield shooting at steel and he is 10 and he got hit in the face with a piece of frag from a .40 round and it was sticking out of his skin. He thought it was cool. Hard to believe a grown man acted as he did. [rofl]

I'm going to apologize publicly in case I was over the line here. FYI my son said he heard the fragment flying back at us. It is entirely possible it triggered some prior memory for this guy. In that case I fully understand his reaction. Many of our veterans have seen and experienced things that are really difficult for most of us to comprehend.

Rich

+1 Good call. Have a safe and meaningful holiday.

you know what, very good point. I guess I never thought of that. Maybe it did trigger some type of memory from his service days.

I guess I should not say anything about the guy being a wuss because I have no clue what his past is. Could very well be more to the story on that one.

Good point guys. Glad the guy was ok. [grin]

My first thought was PSTD.

That never crossed my mind... and now I'm feeling like a jerk...

I think I'll ask him about it. See if he wants to talk about what happened. Maybe that would help.

Anyway I'm going to get him a t-shirt with a big X or bulls-eye where he got dinged by the shrapnel. I think he'll get a big kick out of that.

We'll see him today. He is marching in the Memorial Day parade here in our small town.

Sigh...

Cheers,

Rich

That never crossed my mind... and now I'm feeling like a jerk...

I think I'll ask him about it. See if he wants to talk about what happened. Maybe that would help.

Anyway I'm going to get him a t-shirt with a big X or bulls-eye where he got dinged by the shrapnel. I think he'll get a big kick out of that.

We'll see him today. He is marching in the Memorial Day parade here in our small town.

Sigh...

Cheers,

Well, I am more aware of it because of my job. Even though I am in the private sector, we are of course are seeing more vets, and working with quite a few. A few of our scrub techs talk a bit about it because of when codes are called, all the pagers and phones go off and they are hyper-alert. Also, a number of my patients have served and occasionally this plays into their care.

Splash back is a problem with steel targets. That is why the NRA Silhouette game moved the chickens to 40 meters instead of the previous 25 meters to lessen the amount of splashback injuries. One range in New Hampshire used RR rails turned upside down for animal rails and they would send the bullets back at you if you hit low and just right. Very dangerous!

If you haven't been "wounded" while shooting steel, you haven't been shooting steel long enough.
I have been hit by splashback at every knockdown steel event I've ever attended and bled at the very first match.
Be aware that it will happen and always wear eye protection.

If you haven't been "wounded" while shooting steel, you haven't been shooting steel long enough.
I have been hit by splashback at every knockdown steel event I've ever attended and bled at the very first match.

I got a very minor cut on the nose from a jacket coming back off a steel plate at my very first IDPA match. Gave me a very strong reminder why we ALWAYS wear eye protection anywhere near an active range.

Was the Vets name John Kerry?

I wil reiterate:

Or maybe, just maybe, he's been shot in the past for real, and this just scared the shit out of him.

Think about what these men went through. f*** the snide remarks. I thank god I never have seen what a combat vet has seen. (assuming he was one) I pray even harder that my children will never see it.
/rant off/

I wil reiterate:

Think about what these men went through. f*** the snide remarks. I thank god I never have seen what a combat vet has seen. (assuming he was one) I pray even harder that my children will never see it.
/rant off/

+10 I can't believe some of the things I am seeing said here about a veteran. Some by people I expected better from.[sad2]

Nuff said....don't need any long diatribes. [grin]

I can see a small piece of metal causing quite a bit of pain. I know that I was shooting an AR type rifle and had a piece of brass go down my shirt, it was quite painful and left a mark for about 5 months. I just untucked my shirt and was good to go.
Anyhow, a good reminder about safety.

I can see a small piece of metal causing quite a bit of pain. I know that I was shooting an AR type rifle and had a piece of brass go down my shirt, it was quite painful and left a mark for about 5 months. I just untucked my shirt and was good to go.
Anyhow, a good reminder about safety.

Safety really has nothing to do with it. (no offense). Firing .45 ACP in matches will inevitably result in some cases getting down your neck, down your shirt front, etc. It HAS to be ignored. Otherwise, your focus is destroyed. The same really holds true for any caliber. At some point you WILL get a spent case trapped against your skin. How you handle it is up to you. [wink]

I've been hit with one of those lead chunks before too.

at first, it does take you by suprise... but I pretty much knew right away what it was.

Just put a small (tiny) tear in my t-shirt and left a 1/3 inch red mark on my lower rib cage... surely nothing that i would have thought I was SHOT though.

The same really holds true for any caliber. At some point you WILL get a spent case trapped against your skin.

Yup. Happens all the time in Bullseye gallery matches. Even that little .22 LR case can be pretty painfully hot for a couple seconds.

Back
Top Bottom