• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Show me your Knives! ... do we have a knife thread yet?

5vc0v7.jpg

I've posted these before, but now that we have knife thread, I'll share again:

Randall Model 1-5 with a Smith Model 19
Image011.jpg

Randall Model 15 Airman with a Remington Rand 1911A1
Image003.jpg

Randall Model 15 with Border Patrol Handle and Sig P220
Image015.jpg

Viet Nam era Randall Model 16 Dive Knife with Colt Sporter and Browning Hi Power
DSC_0024.jpg

Randall Gambler with Colt Detective Special
Image016.jpg

Randall Model 18 with HK51 clone and USP in .45 ACP
Image020.jpg

Chris Reeve Pacific with Registered Sendra and SIG P226
DSC_0020.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Chris
Love Randall's, Those are some nice ones! Glad to see them on here.

You bussekin fans....

Ratmandu came in, with a special surprise. Factory "mess up", but to a collector it's going to be worth it someday. Delivered to me with two different color scales. One muddy micarta and the other tan canvas. Pretty sure it's the only of its kind. I love valuable mistakes.

ejurehy5.jpg

7a4age5u.jpg

ujuzuze2.jpg

gesa8avu.jpg

2ema5yte.jpg

"Send it" like chinalfr from my can attached to a string from another can in the lair of the dark lord kramdar.

Not a store bought knife....I made it myself. Here is a lock back folding knife I forged from 1095 carbon steel. Blade is about 4 inches long.

lb007.jpg

lb003.jpg

lb001.jpg

The spring is located along the back of the handle. I filed a square peg to fit inside a square hole in the spring for the lock. To release the lock and fold the knife you life the spring by using the ring on the spring to lift in off the blades peg.

lb002.jpg

Locks up like a vault...works good. Been using it maybe 10 years now.
'drif

That Sir, is very cool - nice work. What metals did you use and can you please explain your construction methods?

Be happy to. The blade material is 1095 high carbon blade or spring steel. It is the same steel used by Ka-bar to make their USN Mk USMC knife. The blade was rough shaped using blacksmiths forge, 110 year old anvil and a hammer. The blades final shape and finishing was done with a hand file. The blade was shaped to fit the antler handle section.

The same with spring. It was also hand forged...painstakingly shaped and forged to fit the antler section.

The slot for the blade was made using files and small scrapers.

After all the componets were assembled and check for fitness and function. I stamped the blade with my mark.

The blade was normalized 3 times and then raised to 1475 degrees F and then quenched in oil. It was then tempered at 575 degrees F. I dont like my blades hard....this would be about RC 55-56. It'll hold an edge well and is easy to sharpen.

The spring was a different story. It was hardened the same way but it took several temperings to get it just right so it would hold like a vise but still be easy enough to pull open the spring with a finger. I cant remember exactly what the final temperature was I tempered it at.

My concept was to make the blade and spring fit the antler and not the antler fit the knife.

Thanks for your comment and question.

'drif

Nice collection of Randals Ranger4-7, and nice handmade there 'drif.
A bunch of stockmans. The yellow Mooremaker is my every day carry.
P1010024.jpg

Some small old easy openers, about 1.5 inches long. These are actually well made for little knives.
100_0123.jpg

Here's a GEC that I like to carry.
downsized_0528121314.jpg

A couple of 80's cases
P1010100.jpg

My original collection
collection1.jpg

A nice Ebony moose bladeforums knife
P1010089.jpg

Last edited:
Not much of a knife person, but I have a few. This is the first knife I've purchased in about 10 years. I saw it and I liked it. Its a Blackhawk Gideon Tanto. They also sell a drop point version.
2012-12-08025117_zpsed6c1f2b.jpg

Ok so I lied. This got me digging through drawers earlier and I have more than I thought. I'm still not really a knife person; I don't remember where half of them came from.

knives_zpsea000b9b.jpg

New Knife!

Dajo Ascent. Small liner lock. 2.1oz. Pretty cool. Nice to have as just an extra blade while hiking!
317987_830253139337_1211370637_n.jpg

Also started building a knife. Got the blank on eBay from India. Needs to be hardened, tempered, and sharpened. Got some nice maple burl for the handle.
The first pic has water on the wood to show the figure.
The second pic, you can see where the dog grabbed the wood off the table and broke one of the scales... I glued it up, and we will see what happens...
46095_831134533017_192869413_n.jpg

75364_831134518047_1572348999_n.jpg

A few bought, a few made, and a couple trainers! image.jpg
A Tanto (o1 steel), drop point karambit (5160 steel), and small karambit (scrap s30v) I made, also a strider Tarani karambit (s30v), MOD CDQ(154CM), and little 3 finger Tanto karambit (s30v) by my friend Paul!

Sorry for the stock photo, my phone takes crap pictures.
I just picked up a SOG jungle Primitive and Fasthawk. Since the tomahawk isn't a knife... Here is the blade.

SOG_Knives_017.jpg

Picked up a couple of new Randalls over the past few months.

A Model 2-7 in tool steel:

DSC_0020_zps6a1ddf48.jpg

DSC_0018_zps383f0b39.jpg

A Model 14 in Stainless:

DSC_0023_zps061f9a6f.jpg

DSC_0028_zps22ac1f8d.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom