• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Show me your Knives! ... do we have a knife thread yet?

sword1.jpg

Nice sword Travis. What info can you share about it?

It was my grandfathers officers sword. My grandfather joined the Navy at 16 at the start of ww2 he served for almost two years they found out his age and discharged him. a couple months later he was legal age and "re enlisted" He went on to become a 2nd lieutenant ( not common in the Navy for those who did not attend the academy ) when he made officer my grandmother was going to buy him a sword as a gift ( officer swords are not reacquired in the navy they are optional ) when she was at the px to order it a alder lady who was also there heard her and said she had her husbands sword who had died early in ww2 and she would love for her to have it she had bought it for her husband and he was killed in action before he got home for her to give it to him. She said she would meet her at the commissary the next day with it. My grandmother showed up to get it and she was nowhere to be found she told one of the people working there she was supposed to meet a lady with a sword word got to the manager and he came over with it and said the lady had dropped it off first thing in the am. As the lady was retired all my grandmother knew was here first name Betty. My grandfather used it at many functions over his career but out of respect never had his name engraved on the blade. I have pictures of him at several events wearing it.

Here is a picture of him. He is the one Front and center. He was a CT and taught CT school.. His Name was SI Sistrunk.
IBBasic4A-57big_zps7de6b5c6.jpg

It was my grandfathers officers sword. My grandfather joined the Navy at 16 at the start of ww2 he served for almost two years they found out his age and discharged him. a couple months later he was legal age and "re enlisted" He went on to become a 2nd lieutenant ( not common in the Navy for those who did not attend the academy ) when he made officer my grandmother was going to buy him a sword as a gift ( officer swords are not reacquired in the navy they are optional ) when she was at the px to order it a alder lady who was also there heard her and said she had her husbands sword who had died early in ww2 and she would love for her to have it she had bought it for her husband and he was killed in action before he got home for her to give it to him. She said she would meet her at the commissary the next day with it. My grandmother showed up to get it and she was nowhere to be found she told one of the people working there she was supposed to meet a lady with a sword word got to the manager and he came over with it and said the lady had dropped it off first thing in the am. As the lady was retired all my grandmother knew was here first name Betty. My grandfather used it at many functions over his career but out of respect never had his name engraved on the blade. I have pictures of him at several events wearing it.

Here is a picture of him. He is the one Front and center. He was a CT and taught CT school.. His Name was SI Sistrunk.
Sounds like an amazing man. Glad to have had men like him serving our country.. and nice sword by the way

Here's my shop knife. HK 14800 OTF auto (made by Benchmade). Illegal to carry on a public way in MA so it doesn't leave the premises. I always enjoy the funny looks on parts/ materials delivery guys when I whip it out to open packages.

hk.jpg

I'm sure we all know what the MA laws say about what we can carry and what we can't, but take a look at this link and tell me if you can find the piece of misinformation. This gets on my nerves because someone looking for info on what they can carry in this state might read this and inadvertently become a felon. There are excerpts from the MGL's in it but the writer has incorrectly interpreted one particular thing. Kudos to the first one to catch it... GO.

Knives @ Knife Depot ~ Pocket to Chef's ~ 10,000+ In Stock

I'm sure we all know what the MA laws say about what we can carry and what we can't, but take a look at this link and tell me if you can find the piece of misinformation. This gets on my nerves because someone looking for info on what they can carry in this state might read this and inadvertently become a felon. There are excerpts from the MGL's in it but the writer has incorrectly interpreted one particular thing. Kudos to the first one to catch it... GO.

Knives @ Knife Depot ~ Pocket to Chef's ~ 10,000+ In Stock

If you are looking at a pocket knife who has a spring but requires a little push before it opens, it won’t be considered automatic.

or

Section J of the law states that, if you have a class A license, you can carry any knife (and gun) you would like.

i couldn't read any more of that crap

If you are looking at a pocket knife who has a spring but requires a little push before it opens, it won’t be considered automatic.

or

Section J of the law states that, if you have a class A license, you can carry any knife (and gun) you would like.

That first part you mentioned is actually true. Referring to spring-assisted knives, no law against carrying those.

But yeah that second part. He thinks you can carry a switchblade, double edged knife, etc... if you have an LTC-A. Dingbat.

That first part you mentioned is actually true. Referring to spring-assisted knives, no law against carrying those.

But yeah that second part. He thinks you can carry a switchblade, double edged knife, etc... if you have an LTC-A. Dingbat.

but the way it's written, it sounds like an exemption for automatic knives. i have to " push " the switch on all my automatics to open them.

second part, guess i shouldn't carry what UPS delivered to my house yesterday [grin]

microtech_zps61221b68.jpg

Oooh that's a nice one. Hey carry what you want. Concealed is concealed but consider that you could actually lose your LTC over it. F*cked up isn't it? Carry a loaded pistol concealed all you want with an LTC, but God forbid you carry a pocket knife that the state says is too killy.

8546252431_527bcedf55_m.jpg

Left top to bottom- Benchmade bone collector, Crawford Kasper, Kershaw Camo Echo
Right top to bottom- Kershaw leek, Kershaw leek OCC edition, Kershaw Storm

I've been collecting knives for a little bit but currently stopped. I usually carry the benchmade or the kershaw storm. The benchmade is by far the best knive I have owned. The quality is just amazing. Worth every penny.

Since there's no ammo or guns out there to buy...

I figured I'd grab a Case Peanut with smooth chestnut bone so I'd be ready to fly when the TSA rules change in April [wink]

IMG_1464_zps733bd27c.jpg

IMG_1479_zps076f68c4.jpg

IMG_1499_zps0267ba5f.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one I finished recently. I have five more blades just like this completed through heat treating, just awaiting handles. I'm toying with a small group buy to let people pick handle materials for those. I haven't committed yet because I've had so little time in the shop lately and wouldn't be able to commit to delivery dates.
5.jpg

Came in the mail yesterday[smile] The kydex fit like shyte but going to heat it an squeeze it today. Also already have couple emails out to see about horizontal leather sheath.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 84
Sog Trident
IMAG0158.jpg

Leatherman Wave
IMAG0151.jpg

Gerber Multitool
IMAG0153.jpg

KaBar
IMAG0155.jpg

Nazi Luftwaffe uniform dagger (war loot brought home by my grandfather)
IMAG0157.jpg

Ontario knives RTak-2 and Rat-3
IMAG0154.jpg

My phone takes shitty pictures...

Attachments

• IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
New to this forum.....thought I would share a few of my favorite Randalls.....the top one was a service knife, the latter two are rather unusual in that one is a non-catalog Fireman Special, and the final one is a Randall Knife Society miniature.

Scar 17 with Elcan Specter DR 2 1.5-6X and Randall Airman Model 15 Stainless Steel
SCAR-Airman.jpg

Sig P229 Platinum Elite 9MM with Randall Fireman Special
Sig P229 Randall Fireman.jpg

Kahr PM40 with Randall RKS Mini #5

Kahr PM40 Randall Mini.jpg

Last edited:
My fav beater, the Buck 345. Cheap enough to lose, which I will eventually.

Ordered me up the S30V / G10 version for special events.

8ety7yhy.jpg

Here's one I finished recently. I have five more blades just like this completed through heat treating, just awaiting handles. I'm toying with a small group buy to let people pick handle materials for those. I haven't committed yet because I've had so little time in the shop lately and wouldn't be able to commit to delivery dates.
5.jpg
That's beautiful. How do I get one? Through your site? I haven't checked it out yet.

Built this for Dad - took me about 8 hours to hand fit, assemble and rough sand - finish sanding and finishing the wood was another 8 hours or so.

Stainless steel, brass pins and loop, walnut wood - 10 coats of lemon oil, 10 coats of wax 10 - complete.jpg

image.jpg Couple of other spoons for your viewing pleasure. Top is a custom damascus with wood from WWII busted rifle stock. Bottom is Vintage Carl Schlieper Trophy Line Trapper. One of these days I'll dig out the Randal and some others to post up. Hopefully will get some work done on the display coffee table this weekend too.

Spruced up my favorite knife, the kabar/Becker BK2 AKA the campanion. Knife is thick and strong enough to be used as a hatchet, yet sharp enough to clean game. With my additions, it's now a monster.
Knife it tit, but three complaints: 1. The sheath was junk. Knife usually carried upside down when in original sheath, due to the weight. I modified it by adding a tek-lok belt attachment in replacement of the nylon.
2. The handle was a little slick for my liking. I added a G10 micarta grip as replacement. 3. The knife was sharp, but I put a convex edge on it, and now I can literally shave with it.

Before and after....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom