• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotugns from Friend in SC

If a family friend was going to send/bring us a couple of shotguns what do we need to do to own them legally in the state? This will be a personal sale/transfer of the firearms.

From what I can tell we receive the guns and just fill out an FA-10 form for the new to us firearms and send the forms in to CHSB. Are we required to fill out this individuals information on the form as well being that it is an out of state sale?

Am I wrong/mis-interpreting the requirements?

Last edited:
Assuming they are approved for Mass I believe they would need to go through an FFL. Someone who actually knows the law will be along shortly.

If a family friend was going to send/bring us a couple of shotguns what do we need to do to own them legally in the state? This will be a personal sale/transfer of the firearms.

From what I can tell we receive the guns and just fill out an FA-10 form for the new to us firearms and send the forms in to CHSB.
That would be a federal felony -- you can't do a private sale across state lines. The sale will need to go through an FFL.

First, find an FFL in MA who will do the transfer for you. Second, have your friend ship the shotguns to the FFL. Third, go to the FFL and complete the transfer. The FFL will have you fill out the 4473 and FA-10 forms.

You can only do a private sale with residents of the same state. And here in MA, the other buyer or seller must be properly licensed (LTC or FID) for the gun in question.

Assuming they are approved for Mass I believe they would need to go through an FFL. Someone who actually knows the law will be along shortly.
The Approved Firearms Roster is only for handguns. As long as the shotguns are compliant with the assault weapons ban, then there is no problem transferring through an FFL.

OK thanks. Guess what I was reading meant that you can buy shotguns and rifles from dealers outside the state and then just need to register them here assuming they are Mass legal.

Thanks for clarifying that.

OK thanks. Guess what I was reading meant that you can buy shotguns and rifles from dealers outside the state and then just need to register them here assuming they are Mass legal.
That is correct.

From the ATF FAQ:

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Full text here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-acquire

Note that in this FAQ an "unlicensed person" means someone who does not have an FFL, and a "licensee" means someone who has an FFL.

Note that it is within the law for your friend to ship the shotguns directly to an FFL in MA. Unfortunately, some FFLs will only accept such shipments from other FFLs. So make sure you find an FFL who will accept the shipment from your friends BEFORE you have your friend ship the shotguns.

Note that it is within the law for your friend to ship the shotguns directly to an FFL in MA. Unfortunately, some FFLs will only accept such shipments from other FFLs.

One other option: if you're down there anyway, you could also pick them up. Staying legal with regard to federal law still requires going through an FFL, but both people could just belly up to the counter at a gun shop and get it done. Probably cheaper, too. After that, either haul them back or ship them to yourself.

One other option: if you're down there anyway, you could also pick them up. Staying legal with regard to federal law still requires going through an FFL, but both people could just belly up to the counter at a gun shop and get it done. Probably cheaper, too. After that, either haul them back or ship them to yourself.

And then submit the FA-10s yourself.

Back
Top Bottom