Shotguns - Benelli or Remington

mbz4ever

Dealer
NES Member
Im totally new to shotgun world.
but I feel that i should finally get one. At this moment im looking at Benelli SuperNova Pump Action 12GA or Remington 870.
the main use is for home defense and some hunting

I like the 870. It's very reliable and I think it's a good value for the money. I've thought about buying/trying out others but my 870 hasn't given me any reason to look for something new. Also, it's very easy to clean and switch barrels.

Best bet is to visit your club, and try on some different guns for size. Even with identical specs, one may "feel right."

Most shotgunners are happy to share!

I've seen, more than once, a shooter with the "wrong" gun being driven nuts, becuae he couldn't hit any targets (and to make up for that, it was kicking the crap out of him). But he "knew" it was right, as he'd been told so, and spent a lot of $.

Take your time and you'll be happier in the long run.

I have tried both, and I recommend Remington, get the magnum version , I think it is heavier duty.

As an owner of an 870 who just recently shot MassMarks Benelli snt, I like the snt better. I can't speak to it's track record, but it shoots softer than my Remmy. The 3.5 buckshot in the Benelli is way softer than 3'' buckshot in my 870. I don't mind recoil, but if there are lots of pumkins that need killin', I'll take the Benni every time.

Browning BPS. I love mine. It take a little while to get used to loading the thing, but I love the way mine handles.

You can get a lot of aftermarket parts, accessories for the 870. Probably more than exist for the Benelli.

I have a Benelli Supernova with 26" barrel in Mossy Oak and love it. With the 3.5 inch magnum shells, there is less recoil than in an 870 magnum or a mossberg. But, there is still plenty of recoil with those shells.

I went back and forth shooting clays between 2 3/4, 3 inch and even some 3.5 inch magnums when I was breaking my Benelli in - no problems whatsoever with any of them. I was amazed at the difference in recoil, though, between the light loads and the heavy loads even with the Comfortech stock.

Benelli parts stream is getting better every day, so if you feel the need for a rifled slug or longer bird barrel - they are out there. I don't see the need for deer however. I was plunking small pumpkins at 100-yards with Brenneke KO's and smashing larger pumpkins with Sluggers.

I can't recommend the SuperNova Tactical nearly enough. I would stack it up against 500's and 870's all day every day. That's not a slam on those who own them either - I think they're all great, but the Benelli edges them out in more forward thinking ergonomics, weight, balance and especially in function - this is a pump which manually cycles like a semi-auto. If you go the tactical route, you'll get a gun set up right out of the box. Ghost ring sights, pistol grip, sling mounts. Nothing to add, (unless you want to). There were a lot of takers of the 3.5" magnum buckshot challenge at The Pumpkin Blast, (which you cannot shoot out of either the stock 870 or the 500) and their reaction confirmed what I already knew: This Benelli rocks. The recoil, (or lack) is amazing - especially out of a pump gun. I shot magnum 3.5's all day, mixed in with Sluggers, Brenneke, stock Remington 00 and Federal copper plated 3" 00. No sore shoulder, no bruise - nothing. Try that with any other pump-action shotgun and get back to me...[wink]

No matter what you choose, train, train, train. There are HD shotgun classes out there and my advice is to take one...Good luck!

Thanks guys for your input.
i will stick with Benelli...
now big question... should i stick with pump action or move on to auto loaders like Benelli M4?

yeap M4 is not cheap.... but thanks God its not a problem....
main question is - is it worth the money?

Worth is subjective. What is worth it to me, may not be to you. If I had funds to direct toward a HD shotgun, an M4 would be it. When I got my SNT, I had the opportunity to get an M4 at an insanely low price, (I mean really low). I get another ProDeal down the road and as much as I would like to, I probably won't buy one, as I have all the HD I need in the SNT. That being said, if I could get one out of want, more than need - I'd write the check.

I can't speak highly enough about my Supernova Tactical. I love the way it shoulders.

You and I both. This gun just feels like it's an extension of your hand and arm...It shoulders effortlessly and points instinctively. The recoil, (or lack) is unbelievable....

You and I both. This gun just feels like it's an extension of your hand and arm...It shoulders effortlessly and points instinctively. The recoil, (or lack) is unbelievable....

The lack of recoil compared to the 870 is very surprising to say the least. I have shot a buddy's 870 several times at the range and it just doesn't feel "right" to me. The second I put my hands on snt I knew I had to have it. Finding tacticool parts are kind of hard to source if that's your kinda thing. The only things I have done to mine are add a tube extension and a side saddle that keeps 4 slugs handy. another feature that sets the snt above the 870 is the button on the slide that lets you cocks and opens the action without pulling a shell out of the mag tube. It's especially usefull if you have a tube full of buckshot and want to load a slug manually.

Back
Top Bottom