shot gun scope ? 3X9X40 or 3X7X35

I am looking for a scope for my slug gun ad was looking for some input for you more qualified shooters. I tree stand it for the first 3 hours then stalk. What are you guys using? Also on the muzzle season I was thinking of the Nikon Omega realtree apg? Any thoughts there?

Thanks, Allen[thinking]

The 3X9X40 would be better in low light conditions, all else being equal.
But let me ask, why do you want 9X for a shotgun? If it were me, I'd stick with traditional slug gun scopes in the 1-5X range.

The 3X9X40 would be better in low light conditions, all else being equal.
But let me ask, why do you want 9X for a shotgun? If it were me, I'd stick with traditional slug gun scopes in the 1-5X range.

This, especially if you are still hunting. I have used a Bushnell Sport-view 1.5 - 4.5 for years and it is perfect for me.

Bob

The 1-5x range is idea for a slug gun, 2-7x32 is about the most you'd want on a slug gun.

For stalking a lower power setting will give you the widest field of view.

Last edited:
Depends what slug gun you have . Im shooting a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. I use the Nikon Slugmaster 3x9 with bullet drop reticle. I thought 3x9 would be overkill but i can hit a 9 inch paper plate at 150 yds. and regularly shoot 2 - 3 inch groups off the bench at 100 yds. So i would have no problem taking a 150 yd shot so 3x9 is just about right. Im shooting Hornandy SST and they are a near perfect match for the bullet drop reticle.

Depends what slug gun you have . Im shooting a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. I use the Nikon Slugmaster 3x9 with bullet drop reticle. I thought 3x9 would be overkill but i can hit a 9 inch paper plate at 150 yds. and regularly shoot 2 - 3 inch groups off the bench at 100 yds. So i would have no problem taking a 150 yd shot so 3x9 is just about right. Im shooting Hornandy SST and they are a near perfect match for the bullet drop reticle.

This is the same set up I use. It's a great set up, and does everything mentioned above.

I love my H&R in 20ga I want to get the Ultra slug in 12, but I ran my 870 with a 24" slug barrel and a fixed 3x and found I could reach out to 150yds easy. even when I had my -06 with the 3-9x I rarely took it off of 3 here in New England there really isn't a lot of opportunity for long shots

Another vote for the 1.5 - 4.5 power. I use a BSA deer hunter 1.5-4.5 power on my slug guns and can shoot 3" groups at 125 yards. The 1.5 power is what you want for quick target aquisition when on the ground stalking.

the 3-9 is too much for a shot gun. Plus most 3 -9 are not made for the recoil of a slug gun. Buy a dedicated slug gun/shotgun scope.

Back
Top Bottom