Shooters Outpost - Hooksett, NH

jct61765

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I'm trying to do is to inform people that Shooter's refuses to ship guns. It'd be great if they put out something explaining why or if they offered to listen. What's ticking me off is the peanut gallery. People seem bothered that I'm saying that Shooter's refuses to ship guns.
I think what’s ticking people off is your bitching about shooters policy’s. You come to a public forum and complain. What did you think we were going to do? You don’t like it, don’t go there, simple as that. What do you think the outcome is going to be? I’m sure Jim knows by now how you feel. We are now officially informed. You’re done your job. Honestly if I was Jim I wouldn’t want your business. To much hassle shipping out of state.

ScottS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
AFAIK it's a federal mandate. Pistol purchases from another state has to go to a FFL in your state for pickup. It's why some shops align with others across state lines, or have another location in a neighboring state to facilitate such purchases.
Right, but that's for pistols. I don't think the discussion was about pistols, though. I've bought multiple long guns out of state and hand-carried them out of the store.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I wanted to see exactly why Shooter's is very focused on monitoring who buys what before writing something up.

I went to Shooter's yesterday to see what they had for Black Friday. The top floor had a paper list of what was on sale and what wasn't. I noticed a lower I wanted on sale, so I asked to buy two. Guy behind the counter gives me a 4473 and asks if I was familiar with it - yes. Before I start filling out the 4473, I put my Rhode Island driver's license on the counter and tell the salesman "I'm going to need these shipped." Salesman says "we don't ship guns, guns going everywhere, legalities, you know."

No, actually, I don't know. I've been buying guns as a consumer both online and in person for ten years now and I've never heard of someone magically losing a gun in the mail. Nor have I heard of a competently-run gun store shipping illegal stuff into a state where its banned. Does it happen? Probably. Can it be avoided by some quick research? Yes.

If Shooter's is going to have a strict policy of "we don't ship guns," please make that public so people from other states don't waste our time traveling to your shop. Put it on a big sign at the front door. How is this policy of "we don't ship guns" going to work when you open your second shop that's specifically going to have Mass-compliant guns in stock?

I have never heard a shop say "we don't ship guns." In New Hampshire, Rhode Island, or any other state. Plenty of gun shops get most of their business from online and aren't being hauled into Boston courts. Might be a good idea to talk to their legal counsel and see what they do. If you don't want to do that, fine, but just put it out in public that you refuse to sell guns to anyone from out of state.

I'm not even angry about this. I'm mostly confused.
There are tons of remotes that won't send anything into the commie states. It's best to assume if you're from one of them, you will be discriminated against by policy, or at least ask, because there's a 50% chance they won't bother, I've also had NH dealers refuse to sell me stuff that was legal in MA, etc. It's not worth caring about because you'll never fix it. This isn't an SO thing, either. Shops "built for speed" just don't want the issues, however small.

-Mike

strangenh

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Guy behind the counter gives me a 4473 and asks if I was familiar with it - yes. Before I start filling out the 4473, I put my Rhode Island driver's license on the counter and tell the salesman "I'm going to need these shipped." Salesman says "we don't ship guns, guns going everywhere, legalities, you know."
Question - you say you're familiar with the form, and are informing us about Shooters' policy with regard to the out of state ship process, but why would you fill out a 4473 when the gun is going to be shipped to another FFL who will do the actual transfer? Is this some RI thing where an initial sales check has to happen separate from the transfer post-hold and/or there is no need for the receiving FFL to do the hold? Or were you going to have Shooters ship it to you directly after the hold period?

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There seems to be a lot of angry people.

Why not take your business someplace else? If you don't like their policies why go there? Shooters doesn't have to explain anything to you. Is there something special there you can't buy anyplace else? It just sounds like your bitching and digging a deeper hole for yourself. Saying shooters likes to keep secrets makes you sound childish. You don't like it there, stop going. Just go to Rileys, oh, wait....
For what it's worth, in this thread Jim himself told people to call if they were given the runaround on stuff as it's hard to keep c.25 ducks in a row.
In post 457 another user points out Jim interceded on the user's behalf when mistaken employees did "non store policy" stuff.

So, Jim has sort of already made an "offer" of sorts. Whether or not he will jump in or if it will be to the OP's satisfaction is another matter--but the guy posted his cell # here and said "call me" more or less.

If the employee said flat out "we don't ship stuff" and they do, even in certain circumstances, then the employee may need to be given better instruction to explain policy better. If they truly don't (and it sounds like they may ship some stuff to MA), then we may get clarification. Otherwise, that employee is making up stuff, and we've had countless threads on here of gun store employees making up law or other stuff, and how that's a scourge, and Jim may want to know about it.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think what’s ticking people off is your bitching about shooters policy’s. You come to a public forum and complain. What did you think we were going to do? You don’t like it, don’t go there, simple as that. What do you think the outcome is going to be? I’m sure Jim knows by now how you feel. We are now officially informed. You’re done your job. Honestly if I was Jim I wouldn’t want your business. To much hassle shipping out of state.
That's fine. Just post that. "No Firearms Sales to Non-Residents." Put it right on the front door. Its clearly not just me because there's nineteen pages of discussion about Shooter's, and like @greencobra said, there's other people annoyed by this "policy." If they don't want to sell to non-residents, just make it obvious.

Question - you say you're familiar with the form, and are informing us about Shooters' policy with regard to the out of state ship process, but why would you fill out a 4473 when the gun is going to be shipped to another FFL who will do the actual transfer? Is this some RI thing where an initial sales check has to happen separate from the transfer post-hold and/or there is no need for the receiving FFL to do the hold? Or were you going to have Shooters ship it to you directly after the hold period?
Good question. You're right, now that I think about it, I didn't have to fill a 4473 at Shooter's. Because the 4473 is a transfer form, not a purchase and sale agreement. The actual transfer here would've been between Shooter's and a RI FFL. The last time I bought a gun in person while out-of-state was at KTP and I believe they had me fill out a 4473 just to make sure I could buy the gun (per the Feds). The matter's kind of moot though because I didn't write anything on the form. I said "I'll take two lowers," the guy handed me a 4473 and a pen, I put my driver's license on the counter and said "I'll need these shipped," and then he said "we don't ship guns."

Once the guns get to RI, I fill out a 4473 (from the RI FFL to me) and then a state form. The guns sit in the RI FFL's safe during the 7-day waiting period, then I pick them up.

So yeah, the 4473 would've been unnecessary here, but that's not the point of contention. I needed the lowers shipped to a RI FFL.

jpm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
First - lol @ first world problems.

Second, the fact that shooters does NOT have an online store should have been your first clue that they don't ship guns!

/thread

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I guess I started buying, and selling, guns in a different time. I would never have assumed a retail store, of any type, would ship something to another store. I would simply ask. The idea that it is the retail stores obligation to make this known via their website (which does not do sales) or with a sign, is just ridiculous.

And no store has an obligation to publish their specials, OP get over it, it's not even something to bit..complain about.

As for the OP's assertion that no other stores do this, well I'm open to see you data on this, I assume you've asked every FFL in existence.

As for stores not selling directly to non-residents, try buying a long gun in MA as a NH resident. I'm told, even with a MA non-res LTC you can't buy a rifle in MA. So situations vary, it's your job to ask, not theirs to try and think up every possible situation and put up a big sign.

jct61765

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine. Just post that. "No Firearms Sales to Non-Residents." Put it right on the front door. Its clearly not just me because there's nineteen pages of discussion about Shooter's.
Is it no firearms sales to non residents or just no firearm sales to shitty states they don't want to deal with? Either way its up to shooters how they want to post or not post stuff. If it was posted would you even read it? You sound butt hurt they wont ship a gun to Rhode Island. Why don't you move to NH? Shooters doesn't want to deal with some of the crappy states, I don't blame them. YOU sound like you want to force them to do what you want. That's not how it works in the real world. You really do sound self entitled and angry. I'm glad I don't know who you are because I would be embarrassed by the way your acting on here.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it no firearms sales to non residents or just no firearm sales to shitty states they don't want to deal with? Either way its up to shooters how they want to post or not post stuff. If it was posted would you even read it? You sound butt hurt they wont ship a gun to Rhode Island. Why don't you move to NH? Shooters doesn't want to deal with some of the crappy states, I don't blame them. YOU sound like you want to force them to do what you want. That's not how it works in the real world. You really do sound self entitled and angry. I'm glad I don't know who you are because I would be embarrassed by the way your acting on here.
Your solution to this all is "move to NH," despite the fact that I posted on the previous page that I already lived in NH? [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

You can’t buy a stripped lower and just take it home? It’s not a firearm
Nope. Paperweights, yes. Serialized, completed lowers? No.

Shooters-Hooksett

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I wanted to see exactly why Shooter's is very focused on monitoring who buys what before writing something up.

I went to Shooter's yesterday to see what they had for Black Friday. The top floor had a paper list of what was on sale and what wasn't. I noticed a lower I wanted on sale, so I asked to buy two. Guy behind the counter gives me a 4473 and asks if I was familiar with it - yes. Before I start filling out the 4473, I put my Rhode Island driver's license on the counter and tell the salesman "I'm going to need these shipped." Salesman says "we don't ship guns, guns going everywhere, legalities, you know."

No, actually, I don't know. I've been buying guns as a consumer both online and in person for ten years now and I've never heard of someone magically losing a gun in the mail. Nor have I heard of a competently-run gun store shipping illegal stuff into a state where its banned. Does it happen? Probably. Can it be avoided by some quick research? Yes.

If Shooter's is going to have a strict policy of "we don't ship guns," please make that public so people from other states don't waste our time traveling to your shop. Put it on a big sign at the front door. How is this policy of "we don't ship guns" going to work when you open your second shop that's specifically going to have Mass-compliant guns in stock?

I have never heard a shop say "we don't ship guns." In New Hampshire, Rhode Island, or any other state. Plenty of gun shops get most of their business from online and aren't being hauled into Boston courts. Might be a good idea to talk to their legal counsel and see what they do. If you don't want to do that, fine, but just put it out in public that you refuse to sell guns to anyone from out of state.

I'm not even angry about this. I'm mostly confused.
We don’t ship guns because I have no room for shipping. After the Amherst Store opens ( soon I hope ). The next step in evolution will be shipping and internet sales of mostly used guns, but new as well. No secrets here - just no damn room to do it!

jct61765

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your solution to this all is "move to NH," despite the fact that I posted on the previous page that I already lived in NH? [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Nope. Paperweights, yes. Serialized, completed lowers? No.
You've said a lot of things. I'm not going through this whole trainwreck. You live here and are still bitching? That's petty.

Top Bottom