Shooters Outpost - Hooksett, NH

There seems to be a lot of angry people.

Why not take your business someplace else? If you don't like their policies why go there? Shooters doesn't have to explain anything to you. Is there something special there you can't buy anyplace else? It just sounds like your bitching and digging a deeper hole for yourself. Saying shooters likes to keep secrets makes you sound childish. You don't like it there, stop going. Just go to Rileys, oh, wait....
For what it's worth, in this thread Jim himself told people to call if they were given the runaround on stuff as it's hard to keep c.25 ducks in a row.
In post 457 another user points out Jim interceded on the user's behalf when mistaken employees did "non store policy" stuff.

So, Jim has sort of already made an "offer" of sorts. Whether or not he will jump in or if it will be to the OP's satisfaction is another matter--but the guy posted his cell # here and said "call me" more or less.

If the employee said flat out "we don't ship stuff" and they do, even in certain circumstances, then the employee may need to be given better instruction to explain policy better. If they truly don't (and it sounds like they may ship some stuff to MA), then we may get clarification. Otherwise, that employee is making up stuff, and we've had countless threads on here of gun store employees making up law or other stuff, and how that's a scourge, and Jim may want to know about it.

I think what’s ticking people off is your bitching about shooters policy’s. You come to a public forum and complain. What did you think we were going to do? You don’t like it, don’t go there, simple as that. What do you think the outcome is going to be? I’m sure Jim knows by now how you feel. We are now officially informed. You’re done your job. Honestly if I was Jim I wouldn’t want your business. To much hassle shipping out of state.

That's fine. Just post that. "No Firearms Sales to Non-Residents." Put it right on the front door. Its clearly not just me because there's nineteen pages of discussion about Shooter's, and like @greencobra said, there's other people annoyed by this "policy." If they don't want to sell to non-residents, just make it obvious.

Question - you say you're familiar with the form, and are informing us about Shooters' policy with regard to the out of state ship process, but why would you fill out a 4473 when the gun is going to be shipped to another FFL who will do the actual transfer? Is this some RI thing where an initial sales check has to happen separate from the transfer post-hold and/or there is no need for the receiving FFL to do the hold? Or were you going to have Shooters ship it to you directly after the hold period?

Good question. You're right, now that I think about it, I didn't have to fill a 4473 at Shooter's. Because the 4473 is a transfer form, not a purchase and sale agreement. The actual transfer here would've been between Shooter's and a RI FFL. The last time I bought a gun in person while out-of-state was at KTP and I believe they had me fill out a 4473 just to make sure I could buy the gun (per the Feds). The matter's kind of moot though because I didn't write anything on the form. I said "I'll take two lowers," the guy handed me a 4473 and a pen, I put my driver's license on the counter and said "I'll need these shipped," and then he said "we don't ship guns."

Once the guns get to RI, I fill out a 4473 (from the RI FFL to me) and then a state form. The guns sit in the RI FFL's safe during the 7-day waiting period, then I pick them up.

So yeah, the 4473 would've been unnecessary here, but that's not the point of contention. I needed the lowers shipped to a RI FFL.

First - lol @ first world problems.

Second, the fact that shooters does NOT have an online store should have been your first clue that they don't ship guns!

/thread

I guess I started buying, and selling, guns in a different time. I would never have assumed a retail store, of any type, would ship something to another store. I would simply ask. The idea that it is the retail stores obligation to make this known via their website (which does not do sales) or with a sign, is just ridiculous.

And no store has an obligation to publish their specials, OP get over it, it's not even something to bit..complain about.

As for the OP's assertion that no other stores do this, well I'm open to see you data on this, I assume you've asked every FFL in existence.

As for stores not selling directly to non-residents, try buying a long gun in MA as a NH resident. I'm told, even with a MA non-res LTC you can't buy a rifle in MA. So situations vary, it's your job to ask, not theirs to try and think up every possible situation and put up a big sign.

That's fine. Just post that. "No Firearms Sales to Non-Residents." Put it right on the front door. Its clearly not just me because there's nineteen pages of discussion about Shooter's.
Is it no firearms sales to non residents or just no firearm sales to shitty states they don't want to deal with? Either way its up to shooters how they want to post or not post stuff. If it was posted would you even read it? You sound butt hurt they wont ship a gun to Rhode Island. Why don't you move to NH? Shooters doesn't want to deal with some of the crappy states, I don't blame them. YOU sound like you want to force them to do what you want. That's not how it works in the real world. You really do sound self entitled and angry. I'm glad I don't know who you are because I would be embarrassed by the way your acting on here.

Is it no firearms sales to non residents or just no firearm sales to shitty states they don't want to deal with? Either way its up to shooters how they want to post or not post stuff. If it was posted would you even read it? You sound butt hurt they wont ship a gun to Rhode Island. Why don't you move to NH? Shooters doesn't want to deal with some of the crappy states, I don't blame them. YOU sound like you want to force them to do what you want. That's not how it works in the real world. You really do sound self entitled and angry. I'm glad I don't know who you are because I would be embarrassed by the way your acting on here.

Your solution to this all is "move to NH," despite the fact that I posted on the previous page that I already lived in NH? [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

You can’t buy a stripped lower and just take it home? It’s not a firearm

Nope. Paperweights, yes. Serialized, completed lowers? No.

I wanted to see exactly why Shooter's is very focused on monitoring who buys what before writing something up.

I went to Shooter's yesterday to see what they had for Black Friday. The top floor had a paper list of what was on sale and what wasn't. I noticed a lower I wanted on sale, so I asked to buy two. Guy behind the counter gives me a 4473 and asks if I was familiar with it - yes. Before I start filling out the 4473, I put my Rhode Island driver's license on the counter and tell the salesman "I'm going to need these shipped." Salesman says "we don't ship guns, guns going everywhere, legalities, you know."

No, actually, I don't know. I've been buying guns as a consumer both online and in person for ten years now and I've never heard of someone magically losing a gun in the mail. Nor have I heard of a competently-run gun store shipping illegal stuff into a state where its banned. Does it happen? Probably. Can it be avoided by some quick research? Yes.

If Shooter's is going to have a strict policy of "we don't ship guns," please make that public so people from other states don't waste our time traveling to your shop. Put it on a big sign at the front door. How is this policy of "we don't ship guns" going to work when you open your second shop that's specifically going to have Mass-compliant guns in stock?

I have never heard a shop say "we don't ship guns." In New Hampshire, Rhode Island, or any other state. Plenty of gun shops get most of their business from online and aren't being hauled into Boston courts. Might be a good idea to talk to their legal counsel and see what they do. If you don't want to do that, fine, but just put it out in public that you refuse to sell guns to anyone from out of state.

I'm not even angry about this. I'm mostly confused.
We don’t ship guns because I have no room for shipping. After the Amherst Store opens ( soon I hope ). The next step in evolution will be shipping and internet sales of mostly used guns, but new as well. No secrets here - just no damn room to do it!

Your solution to this all is "move to NH," despite the fact that I posted on the previous page that I already lived in NH? [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Nope. Paperweights, yes. Serialized, completed lowers? No.
You've said a lot of things. I'm not going through this whole trainwreck. You live here and are still bitching? That's petty.

You can’t buy a stripped lower and just take it home? It’s not a firearm

It's important to make the distinction between "firearm" according to the feds, and "firearm" according to Mass.

A serialized receiver is a "firearm" according to the feds, so all federal inter-state transfer laws and possession laws apply. e.g.: you can't legally possess a stripped lower if you're a prohibited person. You can't transfer a stripped lower across state lines if you're not transferring to an FFL.

But according to Mass., a "firearm" is a gun, that's not a rifle or shotgun, that can go "bang". Stripped lowers are not firearms according to Mass. Law. (rifles and shotguns are not "firearms" according to Mass law)

So, Mass law doesn't regulate stripped lowers (because they can't go "bang"), but federal law does.

It's important to make the distinction between "firearm" according to the feds, and "firearm" according to Mass.

A serialized receiver is a "firearm" according to the feds, so all federal inter-state transfer laws and possession laws apply. e.g.: you can't legally possess a stripped lower if you're a prohibited person. You can't transfer a stripped lower across state lines if you're not transferring to an FFL.

But according to Mass., a "firearm" is a gun, that's not a rifle or shotgun, that can go "bang". Stripped lowers are not firearms according to Mass. Law. (rifles and shotguns are not "firearms" according to Mass law)

So, Mass law doesn't regulate stripped lowers (because they can't go "bang"), but federal law does.

I was being facetious but sometimes that doesn't come across and you provided some good contrast on the 2.

I was being facetious but sometimes that doesn't come across and you provided some good contrast on the 2.

What blows about the ATF doing the "other" thing is years ago you could buy a semi populated lower with a stock on it and it could cross the books as a rifle. People could buy those essentially anywhere, because they could "cross the books as a rifle" then they changed their tune like, 8? years go and basically anything that wasn't a functioning gun became "other" by default.

-Mike

So is anyone else dying to know if the shitbag returns the merch?
View attachment 343559

Where is this post? I don't facebook and can't see much if not logged in.

As to your question. Is there a video posted in the same social media? Jim doesn't mess around with this, rightly so. He has posted a couple times before.

As to your question. Is there a video posted in the same social media? Jim doesn't mess around with this, rightly so. He has posted a couple times before.

I saw it earlier but it's gone now. My guess is the guy (thief) either gave Jim his shit back or shortly a video is going to appear and the kopsch are getting involved.... [rofl]

-Mike

Jim’s follow up. I guess he didn’t repent. It’s on the shooters outpost page. No video posted yet. 2838656D-ED6A-42B3-AFEB-CF8C83E2DC67.png

I just moved back to NH after 20 years of career induced relocations. Stopped in yesterday for first time. Good selection on new guns. Scattered and inconsistent selection in used guns. Very stiff pricing. The few reasonably priced used guns had obvious cosmetic wear. Surprised that prices were higher than I’ve seen in much less gun friendly states. Looks like a lot of overhead to support.

Prices on accessories, reloading stuff and ammunition ranged for really good to really high. Good selection on all of that.

I loved Riley’s and KTP 20-30 years ago with huge selections of used guns at every price and condition point. Half the fun was finding the hidden gems. And dealing with the kind and stoic curmudgeons who worked there.

I just moved back to NH after 20 years of career induced relocations. Stopped in yesterday for first time. Good selection on new guns. Scattered and inconsistent selection in used guns. Very stiff pricing. The few reasonably priced used guns had obvious cosmetic wear. Surprised that prices were higher than I’ve seen in much less gun friendly states. Looks like a lot of overhead to support.

Prices on accessories, reloading stuff and ammunition ranged for really good to really high. Good selection on all of that.

The thing to realize about current prices = is that gun shops are cleaned-out an picked-dry from the recent Covid-19 panic and now the "peaceful" protests (with its looting, theft, blatant threats against the plain average working stiff families, and calls to defund and even abolish the police = all going-on unchecked & uncontrolled by the local governments).

So all firearms prices have ticked-up, including ammo pricing (and that's if you can find anything).

That trend tends to be reflected in the prices of what little can be found currently on shelves and racks everywhere.

Example: MOONBATS FUELING GUN SALE SURGE

I loved Riley’s and KTP 20-30 years ago with huge selections of used guns at every price and condition point. Half the fun was finding the hidden gems. And dealing with the kind and stoic curmudgeons who worked there.
I have to agree with you there. I found and bought many nice used firearms there .... before they got sold.
One of them is an SKS paratrooper in wood stock with spike, that I think I paid under $300 for, in nearly perfect condition.
I also once picked-up a pile of brand new (loose and in a box) Com-bloc AK-47 30rd mags for $7 each.

Last edited:

Apparently you're a little bit out of the loop right now people are engaging in bidding wars on GunBroker for primitive level pump action shotguns.... shops like SO and others are basically in the fight of their lives just to keep inventory in the stores now...

The thing to realize about current prices = is that gun shops are cleaned-out an picked-dry from the recent Covid-19 panic and now the "peaceful" protests (with its looting, theft, blatant threats against the plain average working stiff families, and calls to defund and even abolish the police = all going-on unchecked & uncontrolled by the local governments).

So all firearms prices have ticked-up, including ammo pricing (and that's if you can find anything).

No its not a recent thing there. The prices for used rifles at least have been high there for several years, higher than most places even here in MA. And I saw a lot of the same ones still on the shelf probably a year later. Haven't been there for a while so maybe a lot of them finally sold during the panics.

Is it only price y'all care about? No one hardly ever talks about the great service they had, seeing new products in real life (instead of web page), and having actual inventory (pandemic aside).

I'm not talking about skinflints they will always be there. Those who can afford it are often the same ones that bitch when a local shop goes out of business.

I seemed to have stirred up a pile of poop.

As for out of the loop, I’ve been buying, selling and swapping guns and stuff for about thirty years. I’m pretty well travelled and fairly well informed on a range of used gun values.

To me, SO prices on used guns are a bit stiff, definitely in top 10% of places I haunt. Surprisingly higher than Chicago and St. Louis suburbs. I stopped by Manchester Firing Line today. Their prices were about same, so SO may not be out of line.

I rarely buy new guns as I prefer the classics and have enough plastic and poodle shooters to outfit the family. I’m frugal and very willing to let folks with gun ADHD take the depreciation hit from new. I love poking around local shops looking for good deals on interesting guns. I make a point of buying something whenever I visit a shop. May be a gun, box of ammo or something from the bargain bin. Like gun shows, if you want them to be there, you need to spend some money.

Is it only price y'all care about? No one hardly ever talks about the great service they had, seeing new products in real life

No interest in new stuff, I was looking for cool old stuff. But I can find the same things for less money 40 miles closer to my home in MA even when I include the sales tax.

And do gun store owners here think that their employees and customers are somehow “covid proof”?

Serious lack of masks and social distancing, especially by the young man working SO gun counter Sunday morning. Not sure if he was coughing up his morning cigarette/Monster drink or spreading covid from 3 feet away. I guess the kids they have working there assume they are in low risk pool.

And do gun store owners here think that their employees and customers are somehow “covid proof”?

Serious lack of masks and social distancing, especially by the young man working SO gun counter Sunday morning. Not sure if he was coughing up his morning cigarette/Monster drink or spreading covid from 3 feet away. I guess the kids they have working there assume they are in low risk pool.
Just judging by his online comments, I'd say the owner is the kind of guy that, if he has seen it, would have pulled the guy off the counter and sent him home.
I can be a little short with people sometimes but I've never felt the people there were anything less than helpful...... Now the slow database system at SOII, that's different issue, and not the counter guys fault.

Back
Top Bottom