• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooters Outpost - Hooksett, NH

Glad you're satisfied to let Maura dictate what can or cannot be sold in NH.

Why would I care you have a shitty attorney general? I understand where shooters is coming from. Why do you keep throwing this back on shooters? Buy the ammo in your state. That's pretty simple.

Nice response from Jim........he is right that ONE idiot will buy a prohibited item and bring it to MA,then commit a crime and throw the gun shop under the bus .........(the bus driven by maura healey.) Maura has shown that she has balls bigger than most men ....and will stop at nothing to force her liberal views on the country.

Until one of you sits in a Boston court house testifying in a murder trial about ammunition you sold to a Massachusetts man accused of Murder at south station, and have BATF, Mass State Police & the FBI there saying that I was part of the problem selling ammunition to a guy without having an FID Card....Don't judge me for asking to see an ID, your state is dying to take down dealers from other states by placing blame. Being there to testify for the prosecution, it was a little surprising being thrown under the bus by the Massachusetts State Police to say the least. It's a fact that thugs from the commonwealth come to NH & Connecticut to purchase ammunition because so many will just sell it not giving a shit where it's going to fly later on. As far as magazines go: You can't purchase them in your home state "that sucks" for sure. But going to other states to bypass your own laws is foolish. I don't want my sales receipt in the pocket of one of these pieces of shit when he decides to hose down the next school, it only takes one to do it for my doors to be closed & 25 people are out of a job.

It seems like a select few like bashing gun stores all over the place to pump others up. But to date: not a single one of those that do has ever walked into my store to discuss it with me face to face. Sitting at a computer somehow makes you grow some balls. I have a lot of great customers on NES, and a select few that like acting like children. Those that know me understand that I'd take the shirt off my back to help anyone in need, to include other gun stores. As far as Female & Veteran owned, my wife did that to encourage our women customers to feel a little more comfortable walking into a gun store. We have more women shopping here than ever before or imagined.
Jim 603.396.6540

Your most vociferous critics are clueless and have little real knowledge of how things operate in the real world. A lot of angry young men with closed minds who live large behind computer screens. This is not the place for rational discussion or the meaningful interchange of ideas. Maybe once it was, but few minds will ever be changed I'm sorry to say. If people don't like the way you do business there are literally dozens of places that they can go, but it's more fun to be a cyber bully and kick you in the nuts don't you see?

I do most of my firearms accessory buying online, but I always stop by when I'm in Hooksett. I've tried to purchase 1911 mags from you and leather pistol belts but you don't stock what I want. But no other dealers I do business with do either. Not your fault, I'm a demanding customer. You have a nice retail model and it's directed, one would think, to NH and not MA demographics. It exists primarily for people who live in your state and not mine. A point frequently overlooked. There's a reason we're called M*******s ya know LOL.

+1 for this shop.. I am a m******* resident, the sticker on the back of my Prius says so.
I have been to this shop 3 times since October and purchase my third rifle from SO this past weekend after attending the Manchester gun show.

"His shop, his rules"...if you don't like it....great....more guns for me!!

+1 for this shop.. I am a m******* resident, the sticker on the back of my Prius says so.
I have been to this shop 3 times since October and purchase my third rifle from SO this past weekend after attending the Manchester gun show.

"His shop, his rules"...if you don't like it....great....more guns for me!!
Yep. The amount of powder, primers, and 22 ammo I've bought there over the years is a rather large amount lol. Doesn't bother me at all to show my ID/LTC at checkout. Hell at least they have people at every counter to grab what you need. Can't say that about another nearby shop....

People love to complain. If you don't like their policies then don't shop there. It's really quite a simple idea. I grew up in NH and bought my first gun(glock) at MFL before SO opened and they were great. Unfortunately, I have to live in MA now because of my job and need to be closer to the city. SO has A LOT to loose especially since Healy is just aching to make an example out of a FFL and I don't blame Jim and his wife for doing everything they can to ensure there business and 25 employees stay open. It sucks I can't buy most of the things up there anymore as I am a MA resident but every once in a while I make the trip up there to support there business. I was taken back a bit by the fact they need to log my info in bc I bought a large amount of ammo but again that's their policy and I respect that and will continue to shop there despite it. People need to get off their high horse and stop bashing the business bc you don't agree with their policy.

I have shopped at Shooters dozens of times since they opened a few years back. My in-laws are in NH, so I usually try and swing by on my way back to Mass after every other visit. The only time there was a hiccup buying anything was when I was buying a bunch of .22 during the shortage, but I forgot that my LTC had expired the day before. I had received my new one but didn't put it in my wallet yet. When the cashier asked me in a sad voice, "if it was my birthday yesterday", I knew I screwed up. He said he would hold it behind the counter for me if I wanted to run home and pick up my new license. I told him that I was an hour away, so running home was not in the cards.

I appreciated the helpfulness of the cashier and have continued shopping at SO whenever I get the chance. In 20-30 visits, to only have one sideways experience, is great. Especially considering that one occurrence was 100% my fault.

Until one of you sits in a Boston court house testifying in a murder trial about ammunition you sold to a Massachusetts man accused of Murder at south station, and have BATF, Mass State Police & the FBI there saying that I was part of the problem selling ammunition to a guy without having an FID Card....Don't judge me for asking to see an ID, your state is dying to take down dealers from other states by placing blame. Being there to testify for the prosecution, it was a little surprising being thrown under the bus by the Massachusetts State Police to say the least. It's a fact that thugs from the commonwealth come to NH & Connecticut to purchase ammunition because so many will just sell it not giving a shit where it's going to fly later on. As far as magazines go: You can't purchase them in your home state "that sucks" for sure. But going to other states to bypass your own laws is foolish. I don't want my sales receipt in the pocket of one of these pieces of shit when he decides to hose down the next school, it only takes one to do it for my doors to be closed & 25 people are out of a job.

It seems like a select few like bashing gun stores all over the place to pump others up. But to date: not a single one of those that do has ever walked into my store to discuss it with me face to face. Sitting at a computer somehow makes you grow some balls. I have a lot of great customers on NES, and a select few that like acting like children. Those that know me understand that I'd take the shirt off my back to help anyone in need, to include other gun stores. As far as Female & Veteran owned, my wife did that to encourage our women customers to feel a little more comfortable walking into a gun store. We have more women shopping here than ever before or imagined.
Jim 603.396.6540
Curious how they knew and could prove you sold the ammo. Please tell me you don't have your name on price stickers or receipts with the store name on them. The liquor industry learned that lesson a long time ago.

People love to complain. If you don't like their policies then don't shop there. It's really quite a simple idea. I grew up in NH and bought my first gun(glock) at MFL before SO opened and they were great. Unfortunately, I have to live in MA now because of my job and need to be closer to the city. SO has A LOT to loose especially since Healy is just aching to make an example out of a FFL and I don't blame Jim and his wife for doing everything they can to ensure there business and 25 employees stay open. It sucks I can't buy most of the things up there anymore as I am a MA resident but every once in a while I make the trip up there to support there business. I was taken back a bit by the fact they need to log my info in bc I bought a large amount of ammo but again that's their policy and I respect that and will continue to shop there despite it. People need to get off their high horse and stop bashing the business bc you don't agree with their policy.
I have been there a few times and it is an OK store. The thing that I find troubling from Jim's replies in this thread is it seems that the employees don't know store policy. If I was the store owner this would concern me as it seems many are making up their own rules, there are probably also some who are not enforcing the ones they should.

The mere fact that the AG has reach across the state borders to prosecute someone for selling something legal in their state is terrifying.

Operating a legal, legit business, and when someone takes something across the border it opens up an array of litigation? Complete blasphemy.

Can't blame him for those polices. Simple as that. Sucked when I lived in mass and wanted to buy a mag for my G23, but they wouldn't sell it. So I moved to NH. [emoji6]

Eff Mass and their draconian BS.

I have been there a few times and it is an OK store. The thing that I find troubling from Jim's replies in this thread is it seems that the employees don't know store policy. If I was the store owner this would concern me as it seems many are making up their own rules, there are probably also some who are not enforcing the ones they should.

Again: 25 Employees, open 7 days a week & schedules that are different makes it difficult to say the least.

New Policy: Don't turn anyone away from a sale of Firearms, ammunition, or parts without checking with a Manager, Supervisor or Owner...Period!

The mere fact that the AG has reach across the state borders to prosecute someone for selling something legal in their state is terrifying.

Operating a legal, legit business, and when someone takes something across the border it opens up an array of litigation? Complete blasphemy.

Can't blame him for those polices. Simple as that. Sucked when I lived in mass and wanted to buy a mag for my G23, but they wouldn't sell it. So I moved to NH. [emoji6]

Can't say I'm at all surprised by the MA AG's efforts. It's pretty well known that she wants to set policy for the entire country. [puke2] That they would even bring the owner from an out of state store into a MA court for something like this also speaks volumes.

I, in no way, fault Jim for covering his ass with asking to see the ID. It's far better than another shop I know of where they actually record your DL information IF you want to even purchase ammo. That store lost my sale on that day and I'll never set foot inside there again.

Shooters is only 20 minutes from my house, so it fits into my LGS radius. Been happy with all my purchases from there. No affiliation with them or any other LGS I regularly shop at. No complaints. 99% of the time I know what I'm looking for and have done my own research before I set foot into any LGS. Growing up in retail stores since I was able to walk and either working the same or eventually managing businesses, I am a little ahead of the curve when it comes to dealing with people from my both sides of the counter experience.

I have found that the sales staff to be helpful. Last few times I was there, the first thing out of the counter guys mouth after calling my number was "do you live in Mass?" before even asking me what I was looking for. Same thing happened at Riley's too, so not just a Shooters policy. I wasn't offended in any way and chalked it up to the sign of the times we live in today.

I cant wait to see the new additions to the building.

I can go to NH and buy a truckload of fireworks. They know I'm from MA, they check my drivers license and I sign some form that basically says I know the rules and what will happen if I break them. Why can't the same be done for gun shops?

the first thing out of the counter guys mouth was.........."do you live in Mass?" before even asking me what I was looking for.
yeah, same thing for me too at shooters not too long ago. i joked to my buddy they ought to post a sign at the front door to the effect "massachusetts residents prohibited." now i know somewhat what it feels like to be racially profiled. [laugh]

Try buying ammo in Mass with a MA non-resident LTC.

yeah, same thing for me too at shooters not too long ago. i joked to my buddy they ought to post a sign at the front door to the effect "massachusetts residents prohibited." now i know somewhat what it feels like to be racially profiled. [laugh]
It's a fair question, not much point in proceeding any further with the transaction if you can't legally take it home with you.[rolleyes]

Shooters-Hooksett said:
New Policy: Don't turn anyone away from a sale of Firearms, ammunition, or parts without checking with a Manager, Supervisor or Owner...Period!
Sounds fair, now let's see if Tiktock will rejoin the thread.

Again: 25 Employees, open 7 days a week & schedules that are different makes it difficult to say the least.

Jim, I'm from MA and shopped at your store - showing ID was not an issue for me. I am curious though wrt how you treat NH customers that don't need to show ID or even need to have a permit. Serious question; how would your staff or you know if a NH convicted felon or other PP is trying to buy ammo?

Jim, I'm from MA and shopped at your store - showing ID was not an issue for me. I am curious though wrt how you treat NH customers that don't need to show ID or even need to have a permit. Serious question; how would your staff or you know if a NH convicted felon or other PP is trying to buy ammo?

Now THAT is a MA question the rest of the country doesn't even think to ask.

God forbid you buy something gun related without proving you are a lawful citizen and submitting to a blood test.

Now THAT is a MA question the rest of the country doesn't even think to ask.

God forbid you buy something gun related without proving you are a lawful citizen and submitting to a blood test.

I don't know if you are flaming me or not, but it's a legitimate question. Does SO sell to everyone and anyone other than MA just because of the MA AG? I do know a NH FFL for doing just that and lost his license.

I do know a NH FFL for doing just that and lost his license.

Without qualifying the incident, hard to tell if this is factual or not.

Usually there's a "...and that's, the rest of the story" Paul Harvey type moment to these "I know a dealer who did this and this happened" stories.

-Mike

Without qualifying the incident, hard to tell if this is factual or not.

Usually there's a "...and that's, the rest of the story" Paul Harvey type moment to these "I know a dealer who did this and this happened" stories.

-Mike

I can ask him if he will let me send his name by PM or email to you if you want to confirm it. The guy is working as an auto mechanic now.

I shop at shooters all the time and don't mind showing my ID, one of the cheapest places for Dillon equipment.

I live on the border of Rhode Island all they check on ammo purchases in RI is that you're over 21, most of the time they don't ask for ID. Never purchased a long gun in RI but pick up ammo now and again.

harry.

How would they know? I guess they wouldn't. But I'm not sure I understand your point.

I guess some people feel like everybody should be required to prove their innocence to others. This is the very essence of why MA requires things like an LTC just to merely possess ammo and firearms not to mention purchase them, while NH doesn't. So in that sense, you are an excellent fit in MA.

It's a fair question, not much point in proceeding any further with the transaction if you can't legally take it home with you.[rolleyes]

Sounds fair, now let's see if Tiktock will rejoin the thread.

I agree this is fair! I didnt jump back into the discussion much as I felt bad things went a bit south. I was honestly just curious about the experience as it seemed to different than any other Nh gun shop i've visited.

I think its fair to have a policy where employees need to get confirmation before they turn away honest business. That being said, store policies should be universally known and enforced by employees and the count of employee is completely irrelevant. This isnt any different than any other of the thousands of business that establish policies, write them down and expect their employees to follow them as part of their job function.

I was more put off by the attitude of the guy behind the counter than anything else. I get annoyed when people talk to me like I'm a moron or would-be criminal simply because I am not aware of non-industry-standard store policies that apparently dont actually exist and in relation to cited regulations and laws that also dont actually exist.

Last edited:
9 times out of 10 you're going to see Jim or Cary on the floor and if you have a perceived "slight" they are usually available to get it sussed out

Zero issues with Shooters or any of their policies.

Hell if you go to any Walmart and buy ammo in NH they are supposed to ask for an ID. It's hit or miss.....

And for people think that Shooters is being overly cautious, read Jim's post a couple of pages back.

This isn't 1986 anymore folks. The world and litigation sue happy atmosphere has quadrupled.....

The amount of turmoil and employee turnover down the street is unreal. Pretty steady crew at Shooters and I usually am there 3-4 times a week to check out the huge used firearms section, probably the largest south of KTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to contact Shooters through their site, Facebook & here via PM. Radio silence, nothing.

I was looking to buy Nosler Ammo (Nosler site IDs them as a vendor). I was looking for a case of hunting 308 (~$450) - and I got nothing. I wanted to support my local gun shop, especially one listed as a vendor.

I’ll still stop by when in the area, but I won’t make a special trip.

Btw: I bought the ammo through Gun Broker (a place in Utah) sent them a .pdf if my Mass LTC and it’s on it’s way to me.

Back
Top Bottom